Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

This thread need some Mikey Dread:

2. farmingdad

How about some Don Carlos:

turnersmemo likes this.
  3. farmingdad

Something "newer":

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Unless Chris Wilson tucked it onto one of the Heartbeat Studio One compilations, which I don't think he did, or the band themselves put it out on CD I can't think of one with the original version on, all the CDs I have use the later 1970s recording.

5. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Is the Azul LP at Ernie B's the version you're looking for?

6. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Did some digging and according to allmusic, the Blood & Fire CD "Tree of Satta" has the original:
    http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/album_detail.php?id=bafcd045
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/tree-of-satta-mw0000321741

7. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

jesusdread.jpg

I've finally found a used CD copy of Yabby You's Jesus Dread (Blood & Fire): like the Lee Perry Arkology set,
    I like how a track develops through 2-3 permutations into a dub monster :thumbsup:

8. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

A brilliant set! I have most of the tracks featured on Jesus Dread on either 7" & 12" singles and have to say it doesn't get any better than this. A genuine treasure trove of classic and timeless Roots Reggae, put together by some of the very best people in the business. I can't recommend it highly enough.

The only downside I can think of is it may be getting increasingly difficult to locate.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  9. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Agree. Yabby You is awesome. Love this comp. :righton:

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I shelled out $40 something for my Yabby You set 5 years ago. Cant imagine they go down in price

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Yabby You is the best release on the label, which is really saying something, the Lee Perry is pretty much superb as well and was even better when it came out as most of those tracks hadn't seen a previous CD issue.

13. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are you 100% sure it's the original 1969 recording, I thought that used the later 1970s cut.

15. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The Best Of Abyssinians consists of pre-first album singles. It has the same early cut of Satta Massagana that´s on Tree Of Satta - different from the later one on the Satta/Forward On To Zion album.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'll have to dig out the various cuts and try and work out just how many there are.

17. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This is not a recommendation but a question for the obvious reggae aficionados here. On the Lee Perry Arkology set there's a song by the Congos called "Don't Blame on I." The liner notes say that this comes from the Heart of the Congos sessions. Why did this track not appear on the Blood and Fire version of that album? I always thought it was pretty definitive.

No big deal, I'm just curious. These sets came out within a year of each other (Blood and Fire in 96 and Arkology in 97), so maybe it was an issue of who owned the rights.

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I spent $100 for a sealed copy a year ago; definitely worth every penny.

19. Jackie P

Here's something that sounds as unique and refreshing now as it did on initial release in the early 1970's. Plenty of Free spirited Jazz type blowing, mixed with Rasta drumming, chants, song & poetry. Not strictly Reggae as such, but should be of interest to lovers of the genre.

Originally issued on 3 LPs, reissued on 2CDs (with different sleeves).

[​IMG]

Grounation - Count Ossie & The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari

Vocals : King Royo & Bunny (MRR) & Ras Jose
    Backing Band : The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari
    Drums : Count Ossie
    Bass : Ras Jose
    Flute : Cedric Im Brooks
    Trombone : Nambo Robinson
    Tenor Saxophone : Cedric Im Brooks
    Barritone Saxophone : Ras Sam II
    Funde : Little Bop & Time
    Bass Drum : Peanuts & King Royo
    Percussions : Peanuts & Moses
    Clarinet : Cedric Im Brooks & Ras Sam II
    Philosopher & Orator : Bro. Samuel Clayton
    Poet : Ras Jose

Sabu, zphage and fingerpoppin like this.
  20. Jackie P

I haven't got any Abyssinians on CD but from various samples I've heard none of Satta cuts sound like the original 7" Studio One recording/mix that was issued on Clinch Records.

21. Jackie P

"There is a land far far away....where there's no night there's only day"

Concerning the original Satta, here's a 7" record, also recorded at Studio One, that predated it and as far as I know has never been reissued/repressed.

Happy Land - Carlton & the Shoes (Coxsone / Supreme) 7"

"Happy Land" was the tune that inspired and laid the foundation for the Abyssinians' roots classic "Satta Massa Gana". Carlton Manning & his brother Linford and Alex Henry originally made up Carlton & the Shoes. The Manning brothers later linked up with Bernard Collins to form The Abyssinians.

22. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

It was only this week I added some Marley to my iPod for work. An album by each of the Marley's (Bob, Stephen, Ziggy and Julian). Hopefully soon will be time to fill it with Reggae for the summer. Many fantastic albums mentioned in this thread. Many I was turned onto last summer thanks to this forum.

23. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is the Grounation CD still in print?

24. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i picked up the Tree of Satta CD. amazing release with excellent liner notes, and yes, it has the original recording of "Satta Massagana."