" Cry Baby Cry " Question. Pauls section...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesfan, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Like in a previous post of Cry baby cry, I thought Can you take me back fit just right as the ending, with the last verse after the seance, the kids creating voices for a lark, and then at the end, a real ghost actually appeared, saying "can you take me back..."

2. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

This used to creep me out when I was a kid listening to the album. I agree that it's very ghostly feeling.

Isnt the whole version of the take available legally on one of the Anthology CDs though?? I always wondered what that weird bongo-like percussion was throughout all those takes (Los Paranois, Can You Take Me Back, I Will, etc)

elvissinatra likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Do I need to read this thread? There is no Paul section of CRY BABY CRY. That's the little beginning link to Rev. No. 9.

Nothing to do with John's song.

EasterEverywhere and letmerollit like this.
  4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Most of this thread is actually dissecting whether it's the end of Cry Baby Cry or at the beginning of Revolution #9.

Indexing on CD has it at the end of Cry Baby. Personally, on vinyl I always thought it was between the 2 songs, almost like a link track or a bonus.

I too thought the longer version was on Anthology 3, but I may have it confused with another CD I have.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. That is almost scary going into #9. It is very haunting. Probably the most ominous thing they ever did.

6. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

Steve, I don't think it's part of either number. Sort of a link track if you will...

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

That's what I said. Glad you agree.

8. deville

deville Forum Resident

While I would agree that it makes sense that this could've been the original intention, every CD version I've ever heard has that section at the tail end of Cry Baby Cry.

And for me, Cry Baby Cry is incomplete without "Can ya take me back where I came from? Can you take me back..."

9. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Yes, same here. In addition to the otherworldly vibe of the recording (and the way it starts at a slightly lower volume than what came just before it), there was also the relationship of the final chord of Cry Baby Cry to the chord Paul is playing in the link fragment - I think it's a whole tone up when it switches to the fragment. Somehow, for me, that sort of adds to the creepy feeling in a strange way.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Listening to that part and then knowing (whether true or not) that people play #9 backwards makes it really weird. I am not sure there is anything as creepy as that in all of rock.

11. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Because the song isn't indexed on cd and it doesn't have an official title, I'm sure that that's why on the Love-album there is this:

Come Together / Dear Prudence / Cry Baby Cry (transition)

Would be more logical with "Can You Take Me Back", but...

12. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape" Thread Starter

Mr. Hoffman with all respect I know what you are saying, I simply want to ask a question as fast and simple as possible. But being a fan from day one of" The Beatles"{ white album }like everyone else the Paul section was always known as a piece put in their for whatever reasons. Take a close look on the LP {German import stereo}, the track space however miniscule is after Pauls part not Johns. Since cd times esp. it was combined with "Cry Baby Cry" in the timing of that song so it is part of the song technicaly even though we all know it was written and put their without regard to Lennons song{I feel}, the whole album is like that. To say that its part of Revolution#9 is{ I feel }not correct, a link sure because its their so we cant argue that. By that reasoning then we can then say every song is a link to every song---wrong. The only way to know for sure is to ask Mac or get the playlist from 1968. John M.

13. Mark Kaufman

Mark Kaufman Forum Resident

It's not a lot of things...

It's not part of John's "Cry Baby Cry"...
    It's not a part of "Revolution 9" (Paul was against its inclusion)...
    It's not listed as a track...

Michael P and gregorya like this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Always took it as it's own little separate link(like the flamenco guitar before Bungalow Bill).

Evan

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Since you mentioned my post, I'll chime in one more time.

The lyrics of Paul's "link" are not included in the published music of CRY BABY CRY. Not part of that song, that's official. All I'm trying to say is just that. It is NOT part of that song. I remember Paul once said it was an unused outtake part of another song from the album like I WILL or MARTHA or something like that and it was sequenced in that spot after CRY because SOMEONE thought it would make a dreamlike transition to No. 9. Great sequencing though. It really serves as the best link in all Beatledom. Rev. 9 would be pretty sucky without it..

16. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Technically, as far as licensing is concerned, it is part of Cry Baby Cry. We did a version of the Can You Take Me Back bit, making it into a two part piece - the first part is sort of a sound collage and the second a fugue. To license it we had to license Cry Baby Cry, as that's how it's registered. So, while all of the scenarios relating how it created and mixced into the White Album indicate a separate existence, they never bothered to copyright it as a separate piece, just as part of Cry Baby Cry.

letmerollit and Hep Alien like this.
  17. apesfan

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Hoffman. I agree with your response to my post, even though I sound a little curt. Thankyou again. John M.:righton:

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It is the best link, too.

19. apesfan

Never thought of that. The publishing, excellent....John M.

20. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

thanks, John, you too!! :D

Veeeech!!! :love:

i live for happy accidents :winkgrin: ....i always thought of it as the end of CBC, too... i'm not surprised we see it the same way... good to have you back, too :laugh:

21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Maybe someone can upload the relevant tape sheet as shown on the cover of the MFSL collection?

22. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

Answering a four year old thread!:winkgrin:
    I don't think it's appeared in anything since...
    His outtake jam during the I Will session ends after what is faded on the White album,
    but more leading up to it... clipped at the beginning, so who knows how long he was going
    before the button was pushed...:shake:

...and inspiration from John, as always!:cool:

Hep Alien and elvissinatra like this.
  23. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I'd just like say 'Cry Baby Cry' is easily one of my favourites off the White Album, and I consider "Can you take me back" part of the ending of it as well!

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Sure works well with the song, odd John couldn't remember that song in a 1980 interview, seemed to come up with something quickly for every other song asked about.

25. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

Maybe that's why John couldn't remember it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.