"Cry Macho" Directed and starring Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SICKENING ISN'T IT?

2. Michael

Why?, who are those to tell Clint to quit? I love seeing him in movies...He'll quit when he dies or cannot function any longer...Clint is an absolute AMERICAN treasure and it's disgusting the amount of people saying he's finished...how dare they!

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You clearly don't know what the word means. Quit the sarcasm and buy a dictionary.

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Wow, you should read the post. The guy is not finished, he has directed some fine films recently. However, IMO he is too old to carry a film. A supporting role could work.

5. Michael

I disagree and so does my wife... I ran this thread by her and she laughed at it, shook her had and walked away...Oh, and I love her...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  6. Michael

we too!

7. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

He did fit it perfectly. Frankly, I thought He looked better in this film at 91 versus the godawful The Mule a few years ago when He was 88--and likewise, I liked the Mike Milo character more than His character in The Mule. The story was always plausible, and any action was totally appropriate--the only real action scene He has is when He smacks henchman Aurelio. He excels at playing these characters with haunted pasts who're given one last chance at redemption--He's never been what one could call an actor with a "wide" range; however, when He's in His range, He simply dominates--and much of that is thanks to the quiet cool screen presence He has even now. This is like a sister piece to Frankie Dunn in Million Dollar Baby, or Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino. The ending was perfect--I really hope, as much I love seeing Him still working in front of the camera, that this is the final screen performance. This was a nice, low-key but effective film--it's actually not unlike watching Marion Morrison in The Shootist.

- siyt

TheNightfly1982 and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

you nailed it..nice! positive for a change...we agree almost totally, but if he decides to make more movies we will be watching...we love him! I do know why all the negativity towards Clint, but I ain't sayin'...; )

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been a Clint Eastwood fan since Rawhide. I remember seeing Fistful of Dollars at the Totah Theater in Farmington, NM in 1964. I went every Clint Eastwood movie when it was released. Dirty Harry, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Play Misty For Me. So many great movies. The list is long. I have no negativity towards Clint, just this movie. I just didn't think it was that good. I loved the NM locations though, my favorite thing in this particular movie.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't think what I said was that negative. I said I liked seeing him in the movie. I just think there were many parts of the story that were hard to believe for someone his age, which took me out of the movie.

11. Michael

fair enough... that's your opinion...

steelinYaThighs and mmars982 like this.
  12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Clint looks and acts like a 70 year old rather than a 91 year old ! can he come back as Dirty Harry one more time please !

mmars982, rockclassics and ssmith3046 like this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Great idea! The Dirtiest Harry!

EndOfTheRainbow and fitzysbuna like this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've tempted to call Clint up and tell him to make a movie along the lines of Dirty Harry gets even after being neglected and abused in an adult assisted living facility or Hospice center for the elderly.

He'ld keep his Magnum in his adult diaper and when the next attendant beats him for soiling himself in bed he pulls out the hand cannon and says some pithy remark and blows him away. Make my bedpan, PUNK!

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Almost all of his movies are, at least, entertaining. His last "work of art" was Million Dollar Baby. Fortunately this one can be streamed.
    And now I can't get that empty chair out of my head:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Lightworker likes this.
  16. Michael

now that would be interesting! : )

rockclassics likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As a fellow senior citizen, I'm just proud to be on his lawn.

And he can't do a thing about it. :pleased:

18. Dillydipper

Bubba Dirty Ho Tep.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I watched this the other night, but did not go to a theater and pay to see it. I didn’t think much of it. The overall story line was just dumb which I think was the biggest fault I had with the movie.

As others said, I thought The Mule and Gran Torino were much better.

20. Michael

he can hand you a lawn mower!

21. Dillydipper

He won't like what I write in the grass with it...;) ... and, he will probably squint tellingly when he sees it....

22. Michael

I loved both...I did not feel Cry Macho was any less entertaining...different story...IMO, it had a lot of special moments...no comparisons...

23. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Sorry that I got you upset

24. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

And that's a good part of why the studios keep giving Clint money to make more pictures. He brings his films in on time and under budget. Clint has directed 40 pictures since 1970. Kubrick--a great filmmaker to be sure--only made 13 over a directorial career of a similar length. There was a twelve year gap between Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut. No one would finance him.

Unlike Clint, Kubrick blew his budgets and went overtime.

Clint likes to work.

Bill

25. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I think the movie for the most part was age appropriate, except for a few things -- like taming the wild bucking horse. The female was probably 30 years, or a little more, younger, but at that age such differences don't matter as much. Gran Torino had just about the mother of all age inappropriateness when Clint intimidated that gang of young punks who were bothering that girl. Macho had repeated jocular references to Clint's age. The task he was assigned was age appropriate. The story was a steady moving, straight up drama, which is what I prefer over superhero/zombie/supernatural/slasher crap. Clint looked old - but actually better than most 91 year olds. He was portraying a 91 year old man and looked the part. Big deal. Good movie. I liked it a lot, but I agree the kid's acting was bad and so was Dwight Yokam's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.