cryogenics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cwon, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

Instead of hijacking the SET thread, I thought I'd start a new one on this subject with the above quote. Cryogenics seems to be the next thing. Jack Bybee of Bybee filters mentioned in conversation that NASCAR engines are cryogenically treated and some entire Formula 1 cars are.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Looks like I better take the CD racks down and build them in the fridge!

Well, I don't want to knock the scientifics, but I'm very jealous of those of you with 300B's.

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've learned enough over the years not to knock any tweak, no matter how ridiculous I may personally think it is, but I have to wonder just how noticeable a tweak such as this might even be. I mean, between changing speakers, tubes, cables, power outlets, etc. - can this really make that big of a difference?

:confused:

Ray

4. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

FWIW, one of the well known modders of CDPs does his own pseudo-Cryo treatment with dry ice, for all love.

5. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Many brass instrumentalists have this done to their trumpets, trombones, tubas, etc. Said to improve the sound quality and response of the horn.
    Not cheap to get something as big as a tuba done, must have some upside. Pat.

6. cwon

cwon Active Member Thread Starter

A hint of the cryo effect at minmal cost and effort.

If you can burn CDRs, try this:
    Burn 2 copies from the same spool of blanks consecutively. Check to see that they sound alike, then throw one in the freezer for 2 days and compare them again.
    I just heard this demo'd last night and am going to try it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.