CSNY - Back into history..........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Wow. I usually check in and read the messages on the Graham Nash website, as GN is into surround and very involved in his projects, plus he responds to his fans with his "forum".

Anyway, in the past year or so, he has mentioned that there would be a CSNY DVD of the concerts they gave in 2000 (CSNY2K) and 2002 (CSNY2K+2). I attended both and they were great, I would love to have a professional DVD of either.

Well, it looks like that is not going to happen, at least with GN's involvement. Very interesting posts over there, esp regarding Stills & Young. Here is one:

There have been numerous questions about a CSNY DVD from recent tours. Will it ever happen? Any chances of an upcoming tour with the four of you?
    <name deleted>
    Clinton Township, MI USA - Tuesday, November 09, 2004 at 03:02:24 (PST)

GN: I have long since stopped thinking about CSNY.... product or shows...

Graham

Yikes! There are other similar posts, regarding CSN ever happening again. I guess they all had another flame out. Not too surprising.

Still, I sure would have loved to have one of those concerts on DVD.......... :(

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

They seem to announce things all the time, and then they don't happen, especially Stills. I can remember about 10 years ago, he was going to do a blues album, and ...

More recently, there were going to be rarities compilations, etc. and ...

I interviewed David Crosby last year, and asked him about a CSNY DVD and he said it was definitely going to happen, maybe it was wishful thinking.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

If I had to guess which member was a roadblock to any new CSNY releases, I'd go with Y...

4. JonUrban

Here are a few more "interesting" ones for us CSN(Y) fans:

Graham: You seem very busy these days, but do you envision CSN recording a CD of new music anytime soon? Thanks for the all music you have done.
    <name deleted>
    Ashburn, VA USA - Saturday, November 27, 2004 at 09:13:05 (PST)

GN: No I don't..... with the recent C/N album and the release of Stephen's new album in the summer... we're done for a while...

Graham

and this one....

Hi Graham: I have just finished reading your post saying that you have stopped thinking about new CSNY stuff. For whatever its worth, I believe you are doing the right thing. CSNY are my favourite all time band after the Beatles but some stuff cannot be ignored. As great as Neil is there is no way that you and David should tailor your lives around what is always best for him. As for Stephen, he is one of the greatest pop musicians of our era but his writing prowess has fallen off in recent years and his voice has deteriorated over time. This is really evident in live performances. Your recent solo album and the new CN albums are great and you should continue along this path. I would like to see all the group and solo stuff remastered from the Atlantic catalogue. The magazine Record Collector says hopefully this will happen next year. Good luck on your tour. Hope you and David will come to Toronto at some point. Thanks,
    <name deleted>
    Toronto, On Canada - Friday, November 12, 2004 at 09:34:21 (PST)

GN: How perceptive you are.... I won't give up though... it just gets frustrating at times...

Graham

Sounds like NY got a bit out of hand........................ ;) :eek: :D

5. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

It's not the first time it happened. I do agree that Stills' voice is not that great anymore. Maybe it was from smoking all these years?

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Ditto. Clearly.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

neil has always been the wild card in CSNY. but, as admitted by crosby, when neil's involved it does bring things up a notch.

CSN seem at peace with each other. i doubt we will see much "Y" in the future.

renny

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

How much can they expect from him? They're EXTREMELY lucky to have gotten what they have out of Neil for the past 5 years, considering that working with them isn't any kind of career boost for him.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i always wondered how the negotiations went for the CSNY2K tour. wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall for that session?

renny

10. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Stills and Young have always had one of the more intersting relationships in music. You never know what's going to happen next.

11. JonUrban

...................or "S"!

12. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Listening and watching certain dubious releases of the CSNY2K tour- it is painfully obvious these guys ain't no spring chickens anymore. Yes- they can still harmonize like they did in the past, but the voices are lets just say different.

I can live without much on the future. However- I want to see and hear the past! Its pretty bad when all you can find legal releases of live product is a 23 or 24 year old concert montage. There has got to be a ton of stuff in archives!!!

I understand there is a "best of" concert DVD coming. Where is it??? It has been a frustrating period for fans.

Chris

13. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

On two Neil boards, the hot and heavy runor is Stills is planning on showing up at a few shows and that he and neil have done a little work in the studio together this last month. Remember that the CSN reunion happened back in the late 70s because Neil left Stephen on tour and then Stills showed up at a C/N show..heart in hand....and his guitar!

As much as i LOVE Neil, sometimes I think the other 3 are better off without him so they can get on with their career.......

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a couple of things.

>the CSN tour this past summer was one of their best in years. i can't recall the last time i saw stills play with so much passion. nor can i recall stills EVER backing off for another guitar player (even neil). on this tour he gladly stood back and let jeff pevar take some leads. he also completely left the stage when crosby and nash were performing songs from their new album, at times actually taking pictures of them from the wings! i do beleive that the relationship between CSN is much stronger than ever. it is "Y" where the relationship strains.

it would be interesting to see stills/young again. "long may you run" is one of the strongest albums in the whole CSNY catalog. if the two of them could check their egos at the door it could prove to be quite interesting. but then again, neil could tell stephen to "eat a peach" again :(

renny

p.s. nash reports that the new stills solo album will be out this summer.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

IMHO, CSN is an example of a group with incredible longevity based on only a few early steller efforts. The first two albums cement their place in rock history. CSN is about half good. And beyond that? There's no album I'd even think twice about tossing in the inessential bin. As for the solo releases: The first Crosby album has its merits. The first Crosby/Nash album is pretty strong (and the second is OK). Likewise, the first three Stephen Stills albums are strong. The first Graham Nash is far and away the best. And then...nothing of much importance. So that brings us to about 1972 (1975 if you include the inferior second C/N album, 1977 if you include the inferior CSN album). And then...just inconsequential dribs and drabs. They should have packed it in years ago. Nothing they do today does anything to improve their reputation. It's nice to hear they are getting along now, but it's about 30 years too late. If they'd managed to check the egos at the door and moderate the drug use back then, who knows what they could have done? The early solo releases from each of the members indicate that there was a lot of potential.

Too bad.

Kwad

16. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

That's a brutally honest assessment. Sadly, I have to agree. The CSN (& Y) box set from 10+ years ago bears this out. The first 2-1/2 discs are stellar and the last 1-1/2 are pure crap with the exception of a few good songs here and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.