CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So Ben & Amber each possibly got 8 figure estate checks in the past year or so? Neil sold at $25m+ worth of ownings after his 2014 divorce.

Could Ben or Amber have more liquid cash than his dad, Crosby or even Stills?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is doubtful, but one can only speculate. Peggy may have had her assets in trust and transferred them to her children through the trust. Regardless, if Ben and Amber indeed share in the ownership of the ranch, they would not have received checks, rather they would have received title to the ranch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

I checked with the Medicare site before posting, btw...

4. SoundAdvice

2014 Divorce
    2015 Neil sells Hawaii place for $20mil(listed $24mil?)
    2017 Julian's auction totals $2mil(glorified garage sale of clothes/train stuff.)
    2019 Jan 1st Peggy succumbs to cancer after a late 2017 diagnosis.

Neil may have been doing some age related downsizing, but I think the divorce settlement was monetary rather than shared property.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, you got some bad info.

i am on medicare, i spent almost a year doing research on it and what i posted is exactly what i have.

part A does not in any way shape or form pay 80% of you medical bills, it pays for emergency room visits.. i think you are confusing A & B. (and B really is relatively inexpensive compared to most health care plans.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Ranch no doubt was just given to the kids in a declaration of trust. Crosby is just hanging on, Stills has had money problems off and on for decades. Read Sammy Hagar's book on the Van Halen brothers money problems in decades past. Don't think these entertainers gross huge means you are in great shape. Young sold a ton of his assets around divorce time.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Captain Obvious here, but just because you make a ton of money doesn’t mean anything if you spend even more money. I’m sure Neil’s hobbies such as the model train collection and the vintage cars and the audio gear didn’t come cheap.

Matthew Tate and Bern like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

They were divorced in a community property state and married for decades. The divorce settlement was likely both monetary and shared property, quite possibly including his music assets as well (i.e. publishing, copyrights, trademarks, royalties, etc.). But the details aren't public knowledge -- who knows, maybe he gave Pegi the ranch in order to keep this publishing and other copyrights as part of the settlement, but somehow she apparently ended up with the remaining ranch property.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Young owns his publishing. If the courts decide on a huge settlement, like Neil Diamond got creamed on, he'd have fork over songs. I'm sure his over 100 million net worth had enough cheese for the divorce. The 50% California split like Diamond, Spielberg, etc. didn't come up....that's 40+ years of income split 50-50. Diamond got pounded on his divorce for the 50%. His Lionel stake and the PONY or whatever it was called were money losers. He shoulda bought land in Malibu and Topanga in '73 hard. The VH brothers spent too much money. Al was doing one tour just to pay taxes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Please wake me out of my coma when this thread gets back to discussing anything even remotely related to a Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue.

11. SoundAdvice

In the semi-authorized "Shakey" book Elliot Roberts implied that Neil's hobbies ran into the 8 figures. PONO/Lionel/electric cars/cooking crease cars. His tour buses also looked expensive, and one was converted so Ben can follow Neil on tour(with and without the travel friendly model train layouts).

I think he sold some ranch land before the divorce and that touring and a lavish lifestyle went hand in hand. When he did a solo acoustic charity thing in Vancouver in 2009 he flew up in a private jet with crew and the huge pump organ.

Spencer R likes this.
  12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Deja Vu 50th: Zzzzzzzzzzz. How bout Stills in Cabo with Sammy Hagar and Lars from Metallica and the snowstorm.....great reading. Nobody could take the blizzard like Stills.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

But that does not mean Pegi did not receive a percentage of Neil's publishing revenues in the divorce, particularly songs published during the marriage. Additionally, it appears the courts did not make a judicial decision on the matter, rather the parties agreed to undisclosed settlement terms.

14. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Apparently at this point, S, N and Y hate Crosby more than Trump...

savemenow, Peace N. Love and keyse1 like this.
  15. Watch out for the gout.

16. If they could only convert that hate energy into music better than Crosby's. But alas, they cannot.

ronbow and Autotune Sucks like this.
  17. Croz was selling signed prints on his last tour. Trying to recall, $50 not signed vs. $80 signed ?

18. And his voice is still in great shape live.... I've seen him twice in the past few years. Great stuff.

19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

C can still sing well. Stills has lost much like his hearing. Nash is 1969. I'm sure Young didn't want the results public....the other Neil had to fork over 150 million, maybe more. All Century City big law firm piece by piece asset stuff for NY.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I saw that Lionel written all over the side of a tour bus at Red Rocks...it must have cost a fortune....and I thought it was Neil's. Pono hit him like a baseball bat. He got creamed and I heard his investors were furious.

21. PacificOceanBlue

Well, the investors took the risk with a triangular, clunky music player that was almost obsolete the moment it hit the market. Not sure why they were pissed at Neil. If they were experienced investors/venture capitalists, they likely had plenty of opportunity to research the situation and make an informed decision.

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Neil snowed them with lotsa nice food/hotel/speech/more speech and typical "we can do it" stuff. I think he even had a Paris meeting. Too much risk. Didn't Jay-Z get plundered on some downloading venture?

23. PacificOceanBlue

I'm sure Neil put on the charm and impressed his investors. Neil knows music and sound quality, and he probably sold them on the idea and advantages of audiophile sound for music files and portable players. Granted, downloading had never dominated the retail market to begin with, plus there were signs that streaming was the next trend, but his investors were not the first to be persuaded by the charm of a legendary artist/entertainer. Neil clearly believed in his idea and technology, the investors can't blame him for his enthusiasm. At the end of the day, a savvy investor will be able to see through the smoke and mirrors and determine if an investment truly has potential. They know also know the risks. A lot of investors and venture capitalists lost on a multitude of music ventures starting in 1999 when file sharing, downloading, and internet retail became viable.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Too risky even with the impressive speech and charm. Neil knows his sound but streaming and download has a lot of slip and slide, ask Jay-Z. Sony got crushed on a lot of stuff...you'd think 30 years ago there would have been lots of Sony retail stores....it was quite a brand name. Savvy is a great word. Dr. Dre put his money into risk and won.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

please tell me why you include stills in this?

i have never once seen anything linking stills to having a dislike for crosby in any way.