CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Got mine today from Juno. They use royal mail who are on strike tomorrow so guessing it was sent early to avoid that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Didn't get the box set but loved the alternate takes vinyl that was issued for Record Store Day last year.
    I hope this vinyl release is up to that standard.
    Guess I'll find out!

vinylvin likes this.
  3. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

You're going to find out that it sounds the best you've ever heard it sound!

sonofjim and ronton99 like this.
  4. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Just listening to side 1 now. This is a great sounding record. It's got a real raw edge to it.

Haven't even cleaned it yet and it sounds perfect so far.

sonofjim, jhm and ET3311 like this.
  5. breso796

breso796 Well-Known Member

Can I ask you for info on the cover? Is it like the original textured gatefold or is it a simple printed image?

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm pretty sure it's the single LP out of the 5lp box set that came out last year.
    the cover looks like a textured finish, and gatefold.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà Vu

[​IMG]

ET3311 likes this.
  7. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

It is a textured finish on the cover with the writing in a gold foil. It's really nice.

struttincool, ET3311 and superstar19 like this.
  8. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Got my vinyl copy today and just gave it a spin.
    Good pressing, sounds great.
    It's nice that they really tried to emulate the original cover (with more modern and lighter weight materials).
    The gold foil embossing is a nice touch.
    My only other copy is an original that I hungrily bought the day it came out and have played a million times, so I love having a clean and great sounding copy!

Question, did the vinyl in the box set come in the same cover or was it just in a simple sleeve?

ET3311 likes this.
  9. ET3311

The one in the box is identical.

10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If memory serves, it came in an inner sleeve but no cover. (I kept the CDs and passed the vinyl on to my son.)

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

Has anyone heard this release and compared it to the Classic Records version?

I wonder if this new release is AAA?

12. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

It doesn't say it is cut analog. Sounds good though.

Matthew Tate and teag like this.
  13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to my copy yet, but I looked at the deadwax, and both sides have Chris Bellman's initials in the deadwax. I'd very very surprised if this is not derived from the same mastering job he did when cutting lacquers for the AAA reissue included in the "Deja Vu" box set.

Eamon and teag like this.
  14. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Yes, matrix is the same as far as I can tell.

Eamon, teag and googlymoogly like this.
  15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I ordered the gold vinal variant months ago. Looks like it's supposed to ship next week.

16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Is the standalone release now out, mastered by Chris Bellman confirmed AAA? Was the box version AAA?

17. struttincool

I haven't seen anything saying it is.
    The standalone is the same cut as the box issue going by the matrix info.

18. Vinylfindco

I just saw a few mentioned it was AAA and I've never seen any true confirmation. I always assumed digital. I'd think it would have been trumpeted if it was AAA. I got it today and will listen tonight.

19. struttincool

I think it sounds excellent. My nice original and later Piros reissue have gone missing :shake: so I can't compare.
    [​IMG]

dixiedixie69 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Vinylfindco

It definitely sounds better than my old 8 track on my Alpine in my Chevy Impala :laugh:. True!
    Seriously it sounds quite good! Haven't had an original in years so I thought I'd take a chance on it based on my love for the music and Chris Bellman's mastering chops.
    That said I think the CSN album is a better recording.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Actually it sounds pretty poor on further listening. I always thought this album sounded poor back in the day, but attributed it to my equipment at the time or a poor pressing.. This mastering might be fine, the best Chris could do, and perhaps it is AAA, we don't know. It's so inconsistent, each track with a different sonic signature, many times those famous harmonies lack separation, sound congested, distorted. Great music, but I guess I confirmed what I always suspected. A step down sonically from the debut.

22. ET3311

Thanks for your opinion.

23. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I woyhave bought the box but hate when they include both the vinyl and cd. Secondly, the absence of NY outtakes and his overall lack of participation is a turnoff to the deluxe Ed.

24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

My standalone vinyl shipped ;)

25. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I compared to my original and found the reissue to sound veiled and dead compared to it. The remaster has great bass but and punch but nothing else bested my original monarch.