CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I just got this new remaster and thought it sounded fantastic... better than I was expecting!

supermd, Michael, hi_watt and 6 others like this.
  2. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Really want the 5lp set. It's described specifically as the "first run" on both the CSN and Rhino websites. Hoping the second run is issued soon at a more reasonable price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...I bought mine when released...

silvertrees, Pretty.Odd. and Clucking like this.
  4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It was way overpriced to begin with, even at $212 on the 4th of July sale last year, instead of $250.

It’s beautifully done, but at that price point, it should have had more music, or a more substantial book, or both.

jhm, superstar19, czyhorse75 and 3 others like this.
  5. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

It was too expensive, but had such great material I had to pull the trigger.

Peachy and jhm like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I guarantee if they do a second run it will not be priced lower. At least not initially.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Right. If they didn’t expect it to sell at the original price, they likely wouldn’t even bother.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in retrospect:

what an over-priced, over-hyped disappointment this turned out to be.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not for me! I picked up the CDs from someone who bought the set and didn't want them for $30!!! One custom "fatboy" case later and I'm good to go!

This is a screen grab of a PDF. The original is much sharper.

[​IMG]

10. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

I would say my only disappointment was the lack of credits and recording info. Definitely a missed opportunity there.

11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

$125-150 for the 5 LP set would have been much more reasonable.

What’s actually on the set is spectacular. I don’t collect CSNY bootlegs, aside from a couple live things, so all the non-album stuff was new to me.

MothMonsterMan likes this.
  12. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not dissapointing at all - heck, we even got an unreleased Stephen Stills album if you combine the outtakes!

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, that's basically the gist of it, it boiled down to a new stills album, a couple of tunes form crosby and a couple of tunes form nash and one tune form young and nash together.

young's lack of participation and the forcing of the buyer to purchase a useless piece of vinyl is why i feel the way i do.

as i said many many times....this could have very easily been a 3 CD set and sold for less than $40. i still find it very hard to believe my favorite band would have agreed to this fleecing of their fans.

oh well water under the bridge now.......:shrug:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The CSNY take of “Laughing” is worth it too. Really good stuff. The Stills songs, and that Crosby ones make it worth it. But you’re right about the packaging, lack of credits, etc…

At this point I’ll take anything, so I’m a bad judge. In 2002, I bought a then-unreleased CSN song on cassette off of ebay for $100, and I was really happy with it. Then “Feel Your Love” was released a couple years later. Well, that’s where I’m coming from.

Ryan Lux, Woodville, CWChrome and 9 others like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

new graham nash album due in 2023 btw

16. bonedigger

bonedigger Forum Resident

I browsed the Rhino Black Friday sale on a whim and The D2C edition of Deja Vu is showing back in stock at Rhino, I checked and it's back up at CSNY store as well. These had been off those sites for a while now (I had checked over the summer because I had non-buyers remorse), does anyone know if they've done another edition of these or do they come in and out of stock on the site? The limited edition of 3500 verbiage is absent so I'm guessing it's a second run, although I'm slightly surprised there'd be one so soon. Either way it's up there and eligible for the 15% off if anyone was in the same boat as me.

jason202, czyhorse75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I disagree, I’ve enjoyed the set immensely.

jlf, duneman, Tom Daniels and 10 others like this.
  18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Same here

duneman, Tom Daniels, Dee Zee and 4 others like this.
  19. Forty links

Forty links Forum Resident

And me…..

duneman, Tom Daniels, ronbow and 3 others like this.
  20. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Yep, it’s a totally awesome collection!

Tom Daniels, ronbow, Dee Zee and 2 others like this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes, and it could have very easily been about $50 - $60 dollars less and whole lot more fan, and consumer, friendly.

Woodville and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats almost what i paid for mine

23. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Only Neil Can Break Your Heart.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thinking out loud:

the nine alternate versions of the 'deja vu' songs could have easily fit on the same disc as the 'deja vu' album, i don't think a whole hell of a lot of people would have card if they did that....and that immediately removes one disc from the set.

and, and i apologize if i am mistaken here, the songs that are just stills (no CNY) could have been put on a stills CD along with other non-released stills material that we now know for sure is out there. that would now bring it down to a 2 CD set.

take out the forced vinyl, and reduce the packaging to a clamshell jewel case.

2 CD with all the music, except the stills solo material, and some decent liner notes with musician credits and sell it for $29.99.

or

add the 5 songs (possibly 6, cause i'm still not sure exactly what he does on 'everybody i love you' if he does anything at all) that young had nothing to do with to the couch album along with 'ivory tower' and "laughing' and sell a single disc by CSN. how ****ing good would that album be?

its fun to think out loud sometimes, sometimes i even surprise myself.

darkbreezes likes this.
  25. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I really like the outtakes disc. It’s as if we got an entirely (to me anyway) new album. The main album sounds quite good to me. I would have very much appreciated a surround version but c’est la vie.