CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Based on the first post of this thread, Graham confirmed work on the project, so presuming that is true (versus Graham saying he wanted to start work on such a project) it makes sense that Neil would be in contact to discuss or approve certain recordings. Great news. That said, does anyone really think Archives 2 is going to hit in August?

2. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Like would I bet money on it being released if I had to? No. But I’m going to try and stay positive from now until mid July, or if the date gets pushed back again.

ARK likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Cros could make a lot at conventions signing. His autograph is very hard to get. Nesmith wasn't lying....his line was long at $100 a signature. I think Young lives in a simple house on the beach in Malibu much like he had in 1976.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Oh well, it's a great version. Glad to find out about it!

IHeartRecordsAz likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

do you have any idea what a 'simple house on the beach" in malibu costs?

look it up.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if he paid into it all of his life.....................many safety forces do not get medicare because they vested into their own pension plans and never paid into medicare.....you need quarters of years (40 quarters rings a bell) to get medicare, and it is also not free, medicare costs about $300 - $350 a month depending on the coverage that you want.

Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe Graham and Neil will erase Crosby from the masters, in a new variation of decades old feuds :).

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I don't think the second half is completely new. It sounds like Stills overdubbed a new guitar solo over a repeated section of the original backing track.

The important thing is whether the version works, rather than when it was recorded. (The same goes for the 1991 vocals on "The Lee Shore." They seem to pass for 1970 vocals. Compare the overdubs on the live version of Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Some of Peter Gabriel's stage costumes were so ornate that he couldn't hold the mic properly, so he added vocals about 23 years later for a box set release. But middle-aged Peter Gabriel sounds very different from young Peter Gabriel, so the overdubs tend to stick out.)

My go-to version of "Carry On" tends to be my homemade digital edit of the two versions, so I don't have to choose between them.

9. IHeartRecordsAz

If we’re talking about just personal preference, then absolutely it doesn’t matter when it was recorded. But in terms of it being on a Deja Vu reissue, I think it being a decades-later edit does reduce it’s chances of being on that (though like you site, there is a precedent for them re-recording parts of tracks. But recent archival releases like CSNY 1974 and their solo box sets have received newly recorded overdubs as far as I know...just edits and new mixes).

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  10. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I think Lee Shore was a one off. A beautiful take that they never did a finished vocal on. It should have been finished and included on Deja Vu, but they were so dysfunctional. Better late than never.

qtrules, nbadge, Mooserfan and 6 others like this.
  11. IHeartRecordsAz

Yeah I know that new vocal take gets some flack from people, but IMO his voice was definitely in great enough shape to where he was still able to really bring life to the song.

Now if they decided to re-record a Stephen Stills song, on the other hand...

Matthew Tate, SteelyNJ and ronbow like this.
  12. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's also a solo Stephen Stills version of Lee Shore, but it's just Captain Manyhands pushing it a bit...

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

The longer version on the sessions Boot of Lee Shore is that the original Vocal? And do you Folks reckon there will be any csny content on NY archives Two and if yes thoughts on what it might be, cheers Adrian, isolating in Hobart Tasmania.

keef285 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Who knows?! :)

At the moment, it seems that NY is very cold about the CSNY sentiments...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The live version of “The Lee Shore” on Four Way Street is the highlight of that album, in my opinion. And I love that album, especially the acoustic set. So the song did get a contemporary release.

16. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

...a "Midnight on the Bay" excerpt with CSNY vocals was posted on the NYA as a sneak preview not too long ago... So at least one CSNY Long May You Run outtake is headed our way!

isolating not far from you, in Canberra!

Hep Alien and Adrian Adkins like this.
  17. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

That sounds like you're mixing a couple of things together. If Crosby doesn't qualify--that 40 quarters bit--it's only for part A, which pays for (80% of) hospital costs. Parts B, C, and D have no such work requirements, and as an outpatient, they would be what Croz is using. Now, 20% of *his* med expenses would probably still be A LOT, to be sure.
    If you don't qualify for Part A but you want it, that's where you would get a monthly premium like the one you are pointing to.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nope.

medicare part A - is free....covers ONLY hospital visits. got it the day i turned 65. i think, but not 100% positive, that everyone gets part A.

medicare part B - is the first supplement to get if you do not have any other coverage. costs around $125 - $150 per month and most of the time is paid for right out your social security check. that is the one you mentioned that pays about 80% of you doctor bills and where most people stop and then get hammered with bills later on when they get sick and thought they were covered.

after that it really gets tricky. there is a heinz 57 variety of supplements available to purchase and every one of them has something unique about it. prior to 2020 medicare part F was THE one to get, it covered just about everything else that could possibly happen to you after parts A & B are done. part F was also the most expensive, usually around $150.00 per month, but if you could afford it it was definitely the way to go. now that part F is gone (once you got it prior to 2020 you could keep it forever, just no new sign-ups) i understand that parts G and H (please do not quote me on those) are very close to part F.

BUT....you still are not done. you also must purchase a vision/dental/drug plan if you want all areas covered. usually around $50 per month for dental/vision and $20 a month for prescription drugs.

so, to sum it up: if you really want to get old and not have to worry about medical bills, it will cost you around $300 - $350 a month for the rest of your life. which is really one hell of a deal if you ever looked at what other medical plans cost and what you get for it. (co-pays are killers)

the all you have to do is figure out whose name to put you house in so they don;t take it away form your family when you have to go to assisted living.

hope this helps.

:tiphat:

19. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Well... Nez might have SAID tbis but his meet and greets were pretty expensive at Birchmere just a year or so ago..

Not good for THE guy with a trust fund who basically killed the Monkees

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

"Simple" in size in Malibu. His '76 one I think he got from Dyan Cannon is the same size as his '20 Hannah household. Nez's trust fund never kicked in til the late 70's and was about 75G a year spread out for decades. His lawsuit win money with PBS and I think MTV was huge. He never bought out his Monkees contract to leave them....he signed off on his $450 week he got through 12/31/71 regardless what he did. He never killed The Monkees, he was so broke by '71 he was living in his ex Valet-Driver's house in Van Nuys. He said Palm Springs years before so he tends to B.S.. His Antelo Drive house overlooking the 405 off Mulholland was a rental in '67. Farrah sold it for millions decades later. He couldn't get a down payment on a doughnut by '71. He got arrested in Littleton Colorado that year after playing some dive country bar I believe with some leaf. I hate to think what his meet and greets cost.

21. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

yeah actually he did kind of kill the Monkees by raising holy heck when they would not let him take over the music part of the band. Never mind that they were already letting him write X amount of the songs and NONE of the songs he wrote were ever hits for the Monkees..

The tv show could have ran another year or two at least. Could have put out several more albums, could have had several more tours but Mike physically threatening those who made him a star, something he begged to be less than 36 months earlier, killed it for everyone.

In the end, the Monkees got killed off because Mike threw a massive tantrum when he didn’t get his way and he was delusional enough to think that his National Band would be just as big as the Monkees

But, this is a CSNY thread so.. I digress

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    a customer and MidnightRocks like this.
  22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Nez's direction of A-Call Hollywood Wrecking Crew guys like Burton and Campbell in '65 on his Colpix stuff is amazing for a folkie just in from Texas. The HQ stuff is great. The Nashville stuff is pretty much country. He shoulda leaned towards more of a Byrds '68 sound. The TV show was a hit on Saturday mornings. Dolenz and Jones got a huge crowd at a free show in Philly in '70. When Nesmith told Kirshner's money guy, Herbie, that coulda been his MF'n face after plowing the Beverly Hills Hotel bungalow wall....it was the end of the Jeff Barry sound. If Jones or Dolenz-Jones got first crack at the Archies' hits they'd have topped the charts. The Torkster sitting on Stills' Rolls at Tork's house said it all for Tork watching CSNY rehearsing.

23. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Is it me or is this thread veering slightly off track??

24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

CSNY '21 Tour? Anti-Trump concert in October. They all hate him.

25. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I prefer the version on CSNY 1974

Spencer R and Matthew Tate like this.