CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for your insight - can you share more about the songs recorded, but not released?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I've always dug this mix. :thumbsup:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Thank you Russ. So enlightening.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I first heard that on the Stills box set . I thought it was a remix
    It is awesome sounding guitars and vocals.

g.z., Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  5. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and g.z. like this.
  6. Josip

UPDATE: Answering fan letters at NYA, Neil confirms CSNY anniversary edition, but no release date yet...

Further, Hep Alien, Bill007 and 7 others like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i was actually about to post i got wind from a source that neil and graham had worked something up for deja vu but no word what the bonus stuff is. i was told it appears a deluxe live set is in the works so deja vu might not contain any live material but it wasn't confirmed

8. Matthew Tate

from my source. exactly what i was told. "graham and neil reviewed material from the deja vu era for a deluxe release. there was some contact between them on what they felt was the strongest material from this era. it looks like something is planned for 4 way street so that might exclude the deja vu set from having live material. stills and crosby were also notified of this. not sure if that means after the material was picked or if they were asked for input on what to include"

Hep Alien, supermd, qtrules and 6 others like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

would love love love to know who notified crosby......................

qtrules, Bill007, JayB and 3 others like this.
  10. Josip

I'm sure that Graham is, in fact, the only member of CSNY involved in this project - I doubt that amid releasing Homegrown and preparing Archives v2, Neil has the time or the effort for CSNY...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

My 2¢ - would much prefer a Deja Vu re-mix supplemented w studio recordings - run-throughs and outtakes - rather than live material. Save that for 4-Way 50th.

Hep Alien, Hootsmon, wayne66 and 8 others like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

agreed....if they want to release live stuff put out the CSNY2K stuff that young put the kibosh on way back when.

13. Matthew Tate

probably just called his management

14. Matthew Tate

you think homegrown took up a large chunk of neils time?

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

THIS.

Matthew Tate and qtrules like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

My thoughts now too. Seems there are plenty of demos, alternate mixes and studio outtakes to make a nice set for Deja Vu without dipping into live material which can be released separately on its own or as a deluxe 4-Way Street box set.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with this 100%. I’d love the chance to buy both a Deja Vu box set featuring only studio bonus material and a separate deluxe version of 4 Way Street, hopefully featuring complete shows, even if that means a lot of duplication of the same songs. Make it like the recent Band of Gypsys box set: give us everything you recorded in 1970.

18. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I have posted this before in another thread, but there is easily enough to make a expanded edition of Deja Vu...:

So, I thought it was jmportant to get 2 songs by all four (C/S/N/Y) on this, plus a couple of key live tracks, and all keeping it within a 1CD length of 78:30.

CSNY: Deja Vu (1970) - original:36:24 / expanded: 78:30

Carry On
    Teach Your Children
    Almost Cut My Hair
    Helpless
    Woodstock
    Déjà Vu
    Our House
    4+20
    Country Girl
    Everybody I Love You

+
    1. Sea Of Madness (Neil - rehearsal outtake) from "Studio 1969" Bootleg - 2:33
    2. Horses Through A Rainstorm (Graham - session outtake - December 1969) from CSN BoxSet - 3:40
    3. The Lee Shore (David - session outtake with 1991 vocal overdubs) from CSN BoxSet - 5:31 / 7:18
    4. As I Come Of Age (Stephen - live @ the Fillmore East - 6th June 1970) - 3:26
    5. Everybody's Alone (Neil - rehearsal outtake) from "Studio 1969" Bootleg - 2:30
    6. Almost Cut My Hair (David - acoustic guitar demo - September 1969) from CSN demos album- 5:26
    7. Teach Your Children (Graham - demo with David - November 1969) from Debut / Couch Album remaster - 3:14
    8. Woodstock (Stephen - live @ the Fillmore East - 6th June 1970) - 4:34
    9. Find The Cost Of Freedom (live @ the Fillmore East - 6th June 1970) - 2:28
    10.Everybody I Love You (Instrumental Backing Track - November 1969) from "Studio 1969" Bootleg - 6:41

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Unless things have changed, Donald "Buddha" Miller and his wife Cree manage CSN and possibly the individual members, so communication between the individual parties (i.e. Nash and Crosby) is probably not too complicated.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Any previously unreleased songs recorded in the studio to be included ?

21. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, he must have worked long and hard on “Florida”

DougB217, SteveM and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you simply cannot leave out 'ohio' on any expanded 'deja vu'. it is a must....although.......it does eliminate the need for 'so far'.......$$$$$$

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

yes you can. it’s not part of the sessions.

chrisblower and dtuck90 like this.
  24. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

What I hope is that really new versions will be included.
    For example, it is documented that CSNY worked on "Bluebird Revisited", "Change Partners", "So Begins The Task", "Blackbird", "When You Dance I Can Really Love", "Everyday We Live", "Birds "," Sugar Babe "

Hep Alien, dtuck90 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Josip

Watching Crobys documentary recently, there is previously unreleased full band demo of Lee Shore with Davids vocal - it is NOT the version that appears on "Studio archives" or Stephen's box set, could also be The Byrds?!

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.