CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why? Presumably most of the production work is done at this point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

My concern is I’ll be 70 in November.

3. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Would anyone be truly surprised to hear that a forthcoming reissue involving Neil Young is being delayed for six months?

4. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Well played, Mr. Woole!

But what about Deja Vu?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Yeah, not releasing this (and other postponed box sets) would just throw a ton of money down the drain.

6. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

And throw them back into competition with the various (& still speculated about) Let It Be releases.

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Still in progress.

Matthew Tate, anth67 and Paul J like this.
  8. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

I hope that whenever it does come out, they call it the “Deja Vu All Over Again Deluxe Edition.”

I’ll get my coat...

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Record labels have flushed a lot of money over the years. If the label decides the project is no longer marketable at a later point for whatever reason(s) then that could be the end of it.

With all the releases being pushed out I could see some getting pushed even further due to the scheduling competition.

All these variables concern me and why I only give a rescheduled release a 50% chance of happening. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. If the 6 month delay gives them time to rethink the pure greed and stupidity of putting vinyl and cds in the 1 package then it is time well spent.
    As for people saying that including vinyl isn’t a way of skyrocketing the price every release in these mixed formats would beg to differ.
    If it is a combined vinyl/CD package Deja Vu 51 is dead to me.It sleeps with the fishes,

11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Pushing releases to 2021 because of COVID makes zero sense to me.

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Drama student?

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i agree. people are staying at home and want to spend money. and if all the indicators are correct it is going to get pretty bad again real soon.

14. So the next time you buy a car you’d be ok with it if they made you pay for a motor cycle as well.Never mind that you don’t ride,don’t have a licence or any riding gear.After all you could still enjoy the car and give the motor cycle away or sell it.Problem solved.
    These sets are just a price gouge.

Matthew Tate and anth67 like this.
  15. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I guess it would really depend on how a mixed media box is packaged. If the vinyl is separable from the CDs then selling either should be fairly easy and fast.

I, for one, would buy the complete box and offer the CDs to a guy like @Alan57, that is, if the vinyl was seperately placed in the box.

But on the other hand you're screwed if the same package holds the vinyl and CDs in an inseparable way. Like a large book with slots on one side for discs and one large opening on the other side for the LP. That would be lame.

qtrules likes this.
  16. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Ha, yeah. But the more apt analogy, given the insane prices they charge for vinyl versus CD, would be:
    “So the next time you buy a car you’d be ok with it if they made you pay for a private jet as well.”

EricSwan and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It won’t.

Multiple format releases are nothing new, and they clearly aren’t going anywhere.

18. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I mean, really it was just a suggestion!

I usually spend some money on friends for Christmas and birthday gifts, and I've also had great success selling vinyl in various ways that is really easy to do, so in my view my solution stands perfectly reasonable for how I go about things. No disrespect if you see it as a huge hassle to you to unload a record, but I just don't see it as a problem. Having a handful of music loving close friends with similar taste as I do, I see it as an opportunity to give it as a holiday gift to someone I'd be buying a gift for anyway. :righton:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    ET3311 likes this.
  19. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Look at the recent Goats Head Soup box for example. If you don't want the title LP and just want Brussels they are easily separable.

20. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Bill Levenson told me this with regards to items and Box Sets that were planned for release in 2020. "On pause due to the pandemic. There’s not much going on at the labels yet. And there will be production backlogs."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Well, it's Deja Vu, right? They should announce it twice.

EricSwan, zobalob, duneman and 2 others like this.
  22. They're really very clever people behind the marketing. They're going to announce the 50th Anniversary in 2021. You see?

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not so sure it's the pandemic as much as our beloved ongoing CSNY drama:

• Neil refusing to sign off on Deja Vu because it could hurt the release of his Archives vol2 (most probably)
    • the feud between Crosby and the rest of the band (probably)
    • (insert your own CSNY drama act)

rockclassics and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Neil refusing to sign off on Deja Vu is possible - But presumably CSN hold some leverage over Archives 2? Not to mention future Neil releases that might include the studio takes of Ohio and Helpless? Neil could be risking mutually assured destruction...?

I get the Crosby feud exists - but he needs the royalties - So if SNY wanted to stick it to him, they would simply omit his songs (eg, Triad acoustic, Graham's Everybody Has Been Burned) from any extra discs - and he would still kind of have to take it if he wants his cut.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Its bound to be due to Neil - it's always due to Neil.