CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say he's 98% behind this delay! :)

And also his way of sticking it to Crosby a bit more...

Matthew Tate and Kiss73 like this.
  2. Look, Neil, no Deja Vu and there's no Archives 2 in my house. Got it?!

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I don't know if this is what's happened, but it wouldn't be strange if it were collateral damage from covid19 after all. The pandemic has hit production and jobs all over and I suppose manufacturing plants can't be immune to the situation either. Any hitch that might have represented a small delay only a few months ago might translate into a big delay these days. As for the people at home, some of those people staying home are people who worked in manufacturing too - some get sick, others are made redundant, etc. Everything has changed to different extents.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect it has something to do with Archives 2 rather than any other internal drama or issues with Crosby. Presumably they all signed off on the project and its content months ago, with the box set likely heading toward final production. And frankly, it may not be Neil who is holding this up, Warner may not want two competing high-priced box sets in the market during the 4th quarter -- and if Archives 2 is ready to go, it makes sense to ensure it gets released before Neil changes his mind, pushing back Deja Vu to next year.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, 'deja vu' is my all time top 5 albums, but i will not buy it if i have to pay a vinyl record that i will never ever listen and want nothing to do with. i am hoping this delay has something to do with a re-thinking of the packaging.

Alan57 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

That is certainly possible. Perhaps there is a split amongst the 4 band members about whether to issue it with vinyl or to release a CD set that matches the aesthetics of CSNY 1974 and the solo box sets.

Matthew Tate, Hep Alien and csnfan like this.
  7. Do you believe any of the band members really get that involved in the decisions regarding physical media formats? I personally just can't imagine any of them, apart from possibly Neil, caring about vinyl or CD to be honest. I imagine the detail is decided by the label itself.

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Excellent point

Matthew Tate and csnfan like this.
  9. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

We're all aware of Neil's product release plans, right? So you can imagine trying to get his attention for a left-field reissue suggestion he did not generate.
    Not a priority.

10. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Have no interest in a cd box set however i’m All in for a vinyl release.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Suddenly Neil is truly engaged with his legacy, talking about not only his Archives series (setting up ambitious plans for an aggressive release schedule), but CSNY sets as well (Deja Vu and Fillmore East). I do think his Archives series is his main priority, but if CSNY product was on a different label, I think there is a chance Deja Vu wouldn't be getting pushed back. Warner has to balance its releases and not saturate the market with too much pricy Neil Young packages all at once.

12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The umbrella corporation Warner is the same, but technically speaking, CSNY’s IS on a different label. CSNY as a catalog act is distributed on Rhino. Neil is still on Reprise’s roster as an active artist so all his solo work is done through Reprise, even his catalog stuff. It’s a little weird but that’s how it is.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Matthew Tate and SteveM like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Are you trying to tell us that the four of them aren’t on a Zoom call this very night debating the merits of including vinyl to the box set?

14. Josip

Still hoping for announcement in 2020...

15. Josip

Check out Graham's interview at Washingtonpost - it seems we'll be getting Deja Vu in 2020 after all! He says "5 or 6 disks"...

Hep Alien, supermd, qtrules and 4 others like this.
  16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

17. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and PTgraphics like this.
  18. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Watched it...that’s great news...very much looking forward to it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

5-6 discs with the typical things you’ve never heard before. And sounds like a fresh remaster from the tapes that are in amazing shape. Joel Bernstein calls it the best version he’s ever heard.
    I question the 2 1/2 month timeline since Steele says not til 2021 but stranger things have happened.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Interview was live broadcast 6 hours ago.

supermd, ET3311 and Paul J like this.
  21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I don’t know about this “Steele” person but I heard 2 1/2 months right from Graham’s mouth which takes us to November, looks like 2020 is very much in the cards.

Sigma6 and ET3311 like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm curious about how much good unheard material there is in light of the fact Deja Vu is less than 37 minutes - they could have easily added another song or two. Of the outtake stuff I've heard, the only really great performance was a rehearsal of John Sebastian's "How Have You Been"

chrisblower, nbadge and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. And that’s why these mixed box sets are nothing more than a rip off.Big vinyl fans simply don’t play cds and most CD fans don’t have turntables.On top of that labels use the inclusion of vinyl to bump the price by $50/lp.
    The Neil Young Return To Greendale box that features exactly the same content on both vinyl and CD and includes a DVD documentary that a lot of Greendale fans have already is an all time worst example.They are basically saying that anyone who wants a Blu-ray of the concert film needs to pay $60-$80 extra.If this is the format for the upcoming releases Neil Young completists better start saving because between now and February you have
    -Greendale box$100+
    -Archives Volume 2$200+
    -Rust Bucket 4lps so $150+
    -Young Shakespeare $100+

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

@Steel Woole works at Rhino.

25. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

With that number of CDs, perhaps a complete show, or generous sampling from the Fillmore shows will be included

marmalade166 and csnfan like this.