CTI Japan 2013 "Supreme Collection" Series (Direct from Masters- No EQ Added)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I do hope they will release further titles. I ordered all of the titles from the first series which I am interested in (about 15 or so).

2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've listened to two so far: Montreux II, and Spanish Blue. They both sound excellent.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

They sound really good. Idris Muhammad's Power of Soul is a bit bass shy but otherwise pretty good.

huge logo and SteelyTom like this.
  5. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I really liked how Airto's Fingers sound on these. Finally a mastering that has more focus on the percussion work rather than the vocals.
    Also there is less stereo folding on White Rabbit than there was with the Mark Wilder remastering which sounded cramped at times.

Also I had never hear Gamer's Life before, but the sound quality is excellent here. This is probably the funkiest album CTI/Salvation ever put out! :goodie:

6. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I can believe this from the high level of intrusive tape hiss on Jobim's Stone Flower - a real disappointment for me.
    Shame they cannot be more accurate with their definition of master tape.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Stone Flower is a different case though...almost all recent CD reissues have been a remix.

rbp likes this.
  8. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Noname74 regardless I am disappointed with the release because the tape source was not as good as expected.
    The flat transfer is great, however, the high level of tape hiss that blankets the quieter tracks detracts from my listening pleasure.
    Does a lower generation tape exist?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  9. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

The Mark Wilder remaster from 2010 is the closet you can get to the first generation tapes. But even in his mastering of the CTI 40th Anniversary you can hear hiss in some of those albums, you see even though they are first gen, they were'nt stored in the best ways and were deteriorating and needed restoration work. I'm not sure how his Stone Flower came out. But the Japanese tapes were said to be in pristine condition. (according to Arnaldo DeSouteiro)
    I bought 25 of these new Japanese titles and the one I really remember hearing hiss in was Deodato 2, and maybe some Prelude in the Left channel. But it's not what I'd called "intrusive" to any degree. In fact if I wasn't being so darn analytical I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'll relisten to Stone Flower again I didn't notice anything the first time though.

RiRiIII and rbp like this.
  10. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Thanks for the information Leroy Bad.
    Track 6 Amparo and track 7 Andorinha are the quiet tracks that I was referring to where there is very noticeable tape hiss.

11. Yes, that appears to be correct. But the link also states the following:

"According to Arnaldo Desoutiero at Jazz Station, who has seen both the Sony masters and Japanese masters, said that the Sony releases from 2010 used the original 2 track mixdown tapes which were not stored securely over the last 40 years and had suffered a lot of deterioration and needed a lot of restoration work which resulted in some hiss and distortion for some albums (Outback as hiss in the left channel), but the Japanese tapes are/were in near pristine condition."

So in that case, the best source available today might indeed be the tape copies in Japan from the seventies.

In the end, it doesn't matter so much what source they used, but more how the final product sounds.

robertawillisjr and SteelyTom like this.
  12. Got another disc in this series today: Chet Baker - She Was Too Good to Me

Never owned this album before, even though I have a big Chet Baker collection. I do like it, and the sound is very nice.

Grampire likes this.
  13. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Sounds frightening to me.
    I have enough smoothness in my system, and I'd vote for a bit more brightness and detail instead.

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I would prefer hiss to over zealous noise reduction. Some great stuff here.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. I suppose you stick with the remaster for "Concierto" then. It is very noticeably brighter and might be better suited to your system and/or personal preference. Certainly not a bad mastering either, even though I much prefer this new Japanese version.

16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Anyone get the Deodato titles from this series?
    I have the 40th reissues already and might upgrade.

17. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I have both Prelude and Deodato 2. Well there's nothing "wrong" with the 40th. Anniversary of Prelude, so the new release isn't just automatically an upgrade. If you are real technical you might appreciate the raw sound of the new one since it has no eq, compression, or noise reduction. Plus you get the CD in a jewel case instead of a flimsy cardboard envelope. It's also available as a 192khz/24bit and DSD download.
    Deodato 2 is a little more worth it because it sounds better than the previous issue from 2002. That is better detail and deeper bass.

g.z. and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I have the original CDs. Are these a worthwhile upgrade?

19. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

That depends on which "original CDs" you have. If you are talking about the initial CDs from the 80s on CBS/EPIC then yes definitely upgrade those!

20. I have received a few more titles in this series. All have been nice masterings so far, but for most albums, it is my only copy so I don't have reference point.

One title I received was Stanley Turrentine - Sugar. For that album, I have an old Austria CBS CD (which has one extra track). I prefer the sound of the new mastering, it sounds fuller and warmer to me. One thing I noticed though:the channels are reversed between the two versions. During the title track (first track), the new mastering has the saxophone in the left channel while my old CD as the saxophone in the right channel.

Does anybody have an original vinyl version for reference with regards to the correct channel orientation?

21. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

All the Japanese releases should have the correct mix. Because they only have 2 track tapes. The older US and European CDs releases came from multi track tapes (3-4), and a number of these were remixed.

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Did you buy the Lalo Schifrin title?

23. Listened more carefully with headphones to "Sugar", and it could even be a different mix between the two CD's.Not sure.

The old CD has very strong pre-echo (you can hear the saxophone very clearly a second or so before the main Sound comes in. I know his kind of echo sometimes during the beginning of a song or during very quite passages, but here it is strongly present even during regular passages....really weird.

24. No.

25. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I had the original Columbia Contemporary Masters CD and it was hissy and flat sounding, the CTI 40th Anniv Ed. is much nicer sounding.

rbp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.