CTI Japan 2013 "Supreme Collection" Series (Direct from Masters- No EQ Added)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The four titles I downloaded were all DSD.

2. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

The hi res downloads at e-onkyo are no longer available outside Japan. e-Onkyo has become region restricted. I was lucky enough to get Red Clay, Blue Moses, and Gambler's Life in DSD, but I wanted to get at least two more when my wallet allowed.

3. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

They Exist! I was able to get all three volumes of the Summer Jazz At The Hollywood Bowl bonus CDs off ebay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They come in mini jewel cases with specially fitted inserts that contain photos, concert credits and track listings. Interestingly they are not Blu-Spec CDs like the rest of the series, but are still apart of the CTI Supreme Collection.

g.z. likes this.
  4. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Nice!! Great to know they included this live set. Good stuff. I've got this on vinyl. I like how they kept the aesthetics of the label. Enjoy! :righton:

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

I just listened to Deodato 2 and thought it sounded good. I did notice some distortion during the closing guitar solo on 'Knights In White Satin' starting around 5:25....is that on the Wilder mastered 40th anniversary version or did he somehow clean it up?

6. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Deodato 2 was sadly not apart of the 40th Anniversary Editions. I did notice the distortion that you mentioned in a couple of the Japanese reissues especially the 2009 RVG remastering. It must be on the tapes. The 2013 issue sounds better over all though.

RiRiIII and noname74 like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Interesting, I'm listening to this one right now and I really like the sound. The DirectStream DAC that I am using is dialing in the ambient nature of this recording and the sound is huge. No muffling for me, and no distortion. I haven't heard the Van Gelder CTI of this one, very happy with this Blu-Spec issue though.

ultron9 likes this.
  8. Magritte66

Magritte66 Forum Resident

Leroy, how is the mastering on the CTI Summer Jazz Series compared to the 2003 edition?
    Thanks!

9. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I don't think these "bonus" editions went down the same chain of production as the rest of the Supreme Collection series. One, they come in slim jewel cases as you can see, two they are not blu-spec CDs like the rest. And it is apparent that the dynamics have been compressed a little. The original 1991 CD issue had a DR score of 12 or 13 (I forget), the 2003 remastering was DR 11, and these new 2013 reissues are DR 9 for disc 1 & 2
    and disc 3 is DR 10. While 1991 & 2003 issues sounded identical to my ears. The 2013 issues is not only noticeably louder, but have a different sound signature. Which makes me wonder if they are even come from the same tapes as the previous. These have a much warmer sound than the previous issues, and almost vinyl like sound.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. Magritte66

Magritte66 Forum Resident

Very interesting, thank you very much! You had the chance to listen to the 1991 edition, this cd is so rare... You are a lucky man!

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I've now heard the Good King Bad from this series. To quote Meghan Trainor, "it's all about that bass, no treble." I don't agree it's not EQ'd, I just agree the EQ-ing didn't occur in the high end at all.

And I don't care for this mastering at all, either. More balanced than the 2013 Japan, but very blah. My father's old CTI vinyl sounded nothing like this, from memory.

I think I finally found the CD version of Good King Bad I can live with: the original 1989 Sony mastering (ZK 45226). Done by Mark Wilder, right around the same time of his stellar work on the Chicago Group Portrait box. Yes, it's EQ'd in the high end. And it needed it, IMO. Maybe a touch too much EQ, but it finally sounds ALIVE to me.

Fred68 likes this.
  12. noname74

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    rjstauber likes this.
  13. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Excellent find! The main treasure on there for me is the first CD debut of Yusef Lateef's IN A TEMPLE GARDEN. Been waiting on that one for years.
    The track Confirmation should blow your mind!

Kym and noname74 like this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

15. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

First time on CD for Stanley Turrentine's The Sugar Man, featuring George Benson, Kenny Burrell, Billy Cobham, and Ron Carter.
    [​IMG]

liv3evil, karmaman and RiRiIII like this.
  16. Lonson

Thanks for the headsup!

noname74 likes this.
  17. noname74

Now that's a line up!!

18. noname74

I wonder if there will be any bonus CDs available if you send in the OBI pieces like the last time? And by 'available' I mean only to our friends in Japan. (this is where I start stamping my feet)

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I wasn't happy with the Mosaic reissue at all. Very "thin". Not at all like what I remember the vinyl sounding like. I'm much happier with the 1989-ish CBS CD issue, done by Mark Wilder.

20. Nice to see the part 2 of this series coming out.

21. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I bought all of the CTI Supreme CDs and am in the process of ripping them all. I just went to A/B between the Wilder 2010 and CTI Supreme 2013 of "Red Clay", and the CTI Supreme sounds like it has a (near) dropout at the very beginning - Freddie's first note (high E) - like he 'fracked' it. It might be easy to miss if you are not overly familiar with the source material. It's not apparent on any of the other versions I own (original LP, Epic / Legacy, and Masterworks Jazz). This makes me just a bit nervous about putting all my stock in these Supreme versions as the goto versions in my digital library!

22. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Just curious: can anyone who bought the Onkyo DSF version of "Red Clay" confirm that the aforementioned frack is in the opening note? I've listened to the rest of the CTI Supreme CD version and it sounds fine otherwise; very similar to Wilder's 2010 Masterworks Jazz mastering, same tonality and essentially the same stereo field panning w/no tweaking (from L to R, Henderson, Carter, Hubbard, Hancock, White).

I wish I could un-hear things...!

23. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

If what you are describing is at the 00:01 timestamp, I can hear something faintly in the left channel for both the CD and the DSF file. It's so faint and so quick that I don't think many will notice. I hope that split second in time isn't ruining the whole album for you.
    Wilder's Mastering is good, but he does use some EQ and stereo folding. The Japanese mastering is flat.

24. Lonson

Another batch due out in a few weeks.

25. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Thanks for checking it out for me, Leroy. Good to know that it's not a fault w/only the CD version/pressing. It is most definitely not faint to my ears, but I listen critically, and more oft than not with headphones as of late. Like subtle vinyl noise, I might not notice the frack via loudspeakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.