Curb Your Enthusiasm - Official TENTH Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The last two episodes were haaaaaaaaarible. I dunno WTF is going on, like suddenly a whole new room full of writers came in and completely undermined everything done before this point. Just lacklustre, forced, and contrived. And not funny.

2. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

The last episode #5 was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing, full of both clever and over-the-top comedy. Great season so far!

3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I happen to be also watching the older seasons on Amazon Prime and it's night and day. These new episodes feel rushed and the performances are very weak; the believability and tension are all missing. Not sure if the shooting schedule is shorter or what but it does not serve the show well. There was more care and attention in the past. Hate to say 'phoning' it in but they seem to be taking for granted the process that worked well before.

Vidiot and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  4. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I hate to say it but I agree

Vidiot, Jerryb and MRamble like this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I noticed during the last season that almost all of the actors seemed to be playing characters of their characters — like a show within a show, with the actors not really inhabiting the roles the way they used to. In some cases, they were overacting; in other cases, they seemed to just be applying their characters’ trademarked mannerisms to every scene, even when it wasn’t called for by the script. So Larry was ALWAYS being a jerk; Susie was ALWAYS scowling and shrill, etc. Watching it reminded me of Happy Days when it always went for the cheap laugh and Fonzie was obligated to say “Ayyyyy” in every show, and Richie always had to tell someone to “sit on it.”

In the first seven or eight seasons of Curb, the characters all seemed fairly true to life and relatable, even if the situations were absurd. Now the characters just seem like exaggerated versions of their former selves.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Right on Clark!!!

7. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Ep 5 Insufficient Praise was hilarious. Good story. Lot of guest stars who were all good. Carmine Caridi was fun as Uncle Moke. He died last May so this must've been filmed shortly before that

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mocha Jane

George P likes this.
  9. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Sunday’s episode was brilliant yet also very funny. It seems that Larry made fun of all the closet Nazis and those that don’t even know they are Nazis. I didn’t see the twist at the end coming.

10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well, it wasn't filmed after he died ...

Episode 6 was maybe the best yet this season. Vince Vaughn confuses me though as I just think he is playing himself.

11. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Fred Armisen's character could have stepped right out of Portlandia...he was even driving a Subaru. Ha!

Billy Infinity, chacha and George P like this.
  12. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Episode 6 was hilarious. Larry is at peak funny when he's melting down. Lol.

13. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

No of course not. But it must've been filmed quite close to when he did die. Which is what I said. Unless these have been in the can for a year already

14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

The "matzoh-scented" star and how it played into the plot made me laugh out loud.

15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I think Susie really was trying to kill Jeff with the surprise party. If she wasn't Larry wasn't exactly overly paranoid about it, because it did seem like a possibility. Her looking into a trip, soon, to the Bahamas fed into it. Kill her husband, get the money and head to the Caribbean to celebrate!

16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

“aggressively boring”

chacha and Michael like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

amazing this is still going!

18. Michael

LOL...

19. Michael

I love that guy! he is really hysterical...loved him in the movies as well...

kanakaris likes this.
  20. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

And Susie in episode 6 was in rare form. I think she's at her funniest when she's freaking out … and she was freaking out a lot in this one.

21. dougotte

"Everybody's afraid of her!"

I also thought the final reveal of the toilets in Latte Larry's was funny.

In the lady's room:
    Vince - "Where do the pants go?"
    Larry - (obviously hadn't thought about it) "Ah, don't worry about it."

Bruce Racket likes this.
  22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Old episodes are re-airing and I've been watching them just before the new episodes.
    I have to say, the older episodes were making me laugh harder.

But this week's new episode was to the former high standard.
    Larry got back to the good laughing section.

MRamble likes this.
  23. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Last night's episode was closer to the Curb that I recognize. The previous 3 episodes all were of low quality. Almost felt like SNL sketches.

This new season of Curb is slowly resembling The Simpsons where there is a distinct cut off point between the classic era and the new era.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Cracked up many times watching last night's episode. Easily the funniest this season.

kanakaris and MRamble like this.
  25. dougotte

There's a good article about Richard Lewis in The Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...46dbe0-4de1-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

J.B. Smoove doesn't talk (or write?) at all like his Leon character:
    'Comedians “have a unique filtration system,” Smoove says. “We can take the amazing pain of being ourselves and reprocess it through our bodies and give it to you in a manageable form. It takes a lot for a comedian to give that to you. We have a high tolerance for love. And a high tolerance for pain.”

Lewis’s gift, Smoove says, is “to turn it up as much as possible. His act is as the Prince of Pain, but it’s his management of that pain. He has to have control of his happiness, too.” Smoove contends, “Somewhere in there is a puddle of glee.”'

chacha, krock2009 and palisantrancho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.