Current German pressing Doors "Soft Parade" LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone have this? How is the sound? Is it 180 gram?

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I bought Morrison Hotel, LA Woman and Eric Clapton's Journeyman. They are mastered by Willem Makkee (check out Michael Fremer's musicangle website for information on him.

The vinyl is 180 gram, the pressing very quiet, the sound is variable.

I compared LA Woman to an earlier German reissue (mid 1980s) and it sounds much better than the mid 80s pressing.

I also have Eric Clapton's Journeyman and the new 180 gram version doesn't sound as good as the version I already owned (German 120gram pressing). In actual fact I find something is odd with the sound I haven't figured it out yet.

JG

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is not surprising. I had a few of those mid-80s German reissues and they sounded like cardboard. The question is how do these compare with the original US pressings or the DCC reissues? Anyone?

4. rpd

That is my question...how do they sound vs the domestic LP's? There is no DCC LP of Hotel or Parade....

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

All you need for Soft Parade is the AL (I think?) pressed red-label original...

6. rpd

"AL" being????

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

One of the deadwax guys like W.B. can tell you what it stands for, but there are several (two, at least) places that cut red-label original Soft Parade records. One was Columbia (will have CTH, CP, etc in the deadwax). Those sound okay, but not as good as the AL (I could be misremembering but I think that's the cut).

8. rpd

Thx...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.