Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Capitol Music Exec on Grammy Bumps and Why More Artists Don’t Sing About Politics: "Too Dangerous”

" [...] During your tenure, Paul McCartney landed his first No. 1 album debut as a solo artist in 2018. What's it like working with a Beatle?

He takes nothing for granted. He's a good guy and he thanks everyone. And he's humble. He was open to ideas, [though] he was certainly resistant to doing "Carpool Karaoke" at first. He said, "How can I be better than Adele and Stevie Wonder?" Then Steve Barnett had the idea of doing it in Liverpool. That, in partnership with James Corden, pushed Paul to do it. [The episode earned 4.3 million viewers and an Emmy. [...]"

[​IMG]

OobuJoobu, JDeanB, supermd and 6 others like this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

"It's always been a pleasure and a privilege to work with this great company and I love to think that from the very first record that I ever bought as a kid right up to the present day, Capitol has been an important part of my life...."

... except for, like 1979 through 1985, when I dabbled with Columbia... :tsk:

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Or 2007 through 2016 when he abandoned Capitol again, but still popped in to borrow their famous studio.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I wonder if Ms. Jubelirer provided repeated warnings to Mr. McCartney that singing about politics is too dangerous.

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

So was Egypt Station his first new album for Capital since returning to their fold? If so, I wonder if that is why he could go crazy with the concertina packaging or if Paul could do that with any company as he is Paul McCartney. He should have got a grammy for that fun crazy packaging idea.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Mentioned by Paul in his letter:
    What was the first record (released on Capitol) that Paul bought as a kid? Anyone know?

theMess and planckera like this.
  7. MPLRecords

It was. And his first album for Capitol to be on the Capitol label worldwide. (I guess Parlophone went by the wayside while he was at Hear Music.)

Agreed on the packaging. It was excellent!

theMess likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I’ve heard him say Be-Bop-A-Lula by Gene Vincent

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks! It is funny though that Paul does not mention the title of the record. I wonder if anyone at Capitol knew which record that Paul was talking about.

It probably was this UK copy:

[​IMG]

Zeki, Hep Alien, theMess and 3 others like this.
  10. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

And what was the first record Paul nicked as a kid? Was it on Capitol as well? ;)

supermd, jmxw and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. jacden

jacden Senior Member

The Parlophone label still exists, but under different ownership than Capitol. Parlophone is now under the Warner Music Group umbrella, while Capitol is with Universal.

12. MPLRecords

Ahh, I see.
    Thanks! :righton:

theMess and jacden like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

And Beatle Fan Paul Weller has been using the old-style labels on his last couple albums, too...
    [​IMG]

14. jacden

jacden Senior Member

That's pretty cool.

15. Dr. Pepper

Now you have me thinking... I wonder if this is why they have released so many singles and variations of the album. Capitol trying extra hard to indulge/show support to Paul. Or whether it is just so much easier now to label a song or songs as a digital single without the time and expense of old when all singles needed to be on physical media like vinyl or cd single and such. I would think now, it would be much easier for a label and artist to release 4 or 5 singles off an album session, since the cost is negligible and the return can be good for the artist and label. In the past you would only do that with a Michael Jackson level artist and Thriller type product. I mean hasn't Paul released like 7 singles off this project in one fashion or another? Can anyone name them all? Bonus points for release order!

16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

1: I Don't Know / Come On To Me
    2: Fuh Yu
    3: Who Cares
    4: Get Enough
    *5: In A Hurry / Home Tonight

What do I win, Alex? :cool:

17. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

Also the Nothing For Free (DJ Chris Holmes Remix).

Who Cares and theMess like this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, but was that ever released [officially]?

19. MPLRecords

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I stand corrected.

1: I Don't Know / Come On To Me
    2: Fuh Yuh
    3: Who Cares
    4: Get Enough
    5: Nothing For Free (remix)
    *6: In A Hurry / Home Tonight

theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  21. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I also see no evidence to count Caesar Rock or Who Cares.
    No physical release, no promo for radio play, no separate listing of any kind for downloads. There was that little online ad that wanted to push it but these days once an album is released you can download any of the tracks really so if you're going to push a single afterwards there's usually a separate listing and/or artwork or else just call the whole album singles.
    1. I Don't Know
    2. Come On To Me
    3. Fuh You
    4. Get Enough
    5. Nothing For Free (Remix)
    6. Home Tonight
    7. In A Hurry

22. Dr. Pepper

Wow, then as far as songs go, that is 8 songs as singles! Seems to me that as far as digital singles go the difference between an A and B side are very minor, and the two you have listed have two songs each that could be A sides.

23. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Yeah I can't justify an ad pushing it after it's release as a single. It's like saying "hey we want this to be a hit so don't download any of the other tracks, just grab this one and it's a single"
    If they had backed it up with a separate listing and some artwork or slight remix or something but I saw nothing like that.

MPLRecords likes this.
  24. MPLRecords

I'd count it this way:
    1) I Don't Know c/w Come On To Me
    2) Fuh You
    3) Get Enough
    4) Nothing For Free [remix]
    5) Home Tonight c/w In a Hurry

"Who Cares" (and those others I mentioned in my last post) are as much of a single as, say, "I Can Bet" or "Hand In Hand".

Hep Alien, Paul H and Wiserforthetime like this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

But Caesar Rock actually charted on AAA airplay for awhile - it was definitely "pushed" as a radio single and it did better than #s 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 above.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Who Cares and theMess like this.