Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I also had to look up what "FA Cup" stands for ("The Football Association Challenge Cup").

The only British "FA" that I know is:

;)

Hep Alien, Calico, theMess and 4 others like this.
  2. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It may also turn out to be the soundcheck album.

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I wouldn't bet it on it. Paul made an offhand comment that he should do something with the soundchecks eventually, and everyone blew it way out of proportion.

Or as it was already well put:

jeremylr, Yorick, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thank you so much for sharing that news, that’s made my evening. I would love for it to be some form of “McCartney 3”.

Sean, Yorick, Wiserforthetime and 6 others like this.
  5. Thanks for that and the way your handling it. Appreciate it!
    Some questions, if you can answer any or speculate along with me, great.

My one slightly possible bread crumb: Macca and his team were ecstatic with the response to the Flaming Pie Box project. They had some recordings ready to assemble for release. Tested the waters by hosting the “Listening Party” for Flaming Pie and collected data that said strike while the Iron is HOT! And they are; as Paul exclaimed on one of the home recordings- RELEASE IT!!!!

1 Did the source specifically indicate New Songs?

2. Are we sure they are studio recordings?

3. Is it in any way associated with the several projects speculated upon over the past few months?

4. Is it all - and just - McCartney on everything? Is his band on it?

5. Is it a collection of tracks, he previously recorded- but they don't connect or relate to previous albums, therefore, NOT included in deluxe-box-suit-case are editions . His Odds and Sod type release?

6. Are we sure it’s Rock/Pop? Not classical, Ambient, etc. ?

7. Could it be McCartney and/or Wings Concert recordings of tracks never before officially released?

8. As mentioned by others upthread: Lockdown Album? McCartney 3?

9. Re-written, revived and made whole songs made from the Egypt Station Sessions?

10. When Steve Miller prepared his Home and Recording Studio for Sale - did he find stacks of recordings they made that he cleaned up for release?

11. Is Stevie Miller, the source, your fellow Idahoan?

12. Did you make sure the source doesn’t have the letter “Q” in their vocabulary?

13. Seriously, Thanks! and will look forward to your posts, as always.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I was told that these are 2020 McCartney songs, NOT “odds and sods” that haven’t been previously released. They aren’t classical/ambient/live recordings.

Steve Miller is not my source! I haven’t dared visit Sun Valley since winning a tennis tournament (at my level!) over the 4th of July weekend several years back - don’t want to jinx (ha!) my good luck there!

NOTE: my forum contact and I both agreed to connect if and when either of us here any further news and, if given the go-ahead, I’d certainly share more news here. I’m very impatient to have someone confirm this so I can get myself off the hot seat that I jumped on earlier today!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Sean, supermd, Hep Alien and 20 others like this.

7. Thank you very much! So your source is Novak Djokovic? LOL

theMess, KaptKopter and mrjinks like this.
  8. mrjinks

Unlike @MPLRecords, Novak did NOT have a good day today! ;)

Sean, theMess, MPLRecords and 2 others like this.
  9. mrjinks

Slight clarification below...
    *I believe these are traditional pop/rock songs, but can’t say definitively that they are all 2020 compositions. I would assume most/all are, but have no idea whether they’re all brand new, or whether he’s polished off some old ideas for this project. Hope that makes sense.

10. New Film coming by a man who ended up in the same study group as The Beatles when he went for training there. Sounds very interesting!

The visit to Rishikesh is the subject of a new film, Meeting The Beatles In India, from director Paul Saltzman, which opens via the Gathr online platform on Sept. 9. Saltzman, who through a series of what can only be viewed as synchronistic events, ended up the only outsider at Maharishi’s compound during the Beatles’ stay there.

See this link for complete story:

My Transformative Time With the Beatles in India

[​IMG]
    Photos © Paul Saltzman. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  11. Is John sporting the first ever “man bun braid”?

They say this film will will feature never before seen photos and film of The Beatles in India. Small sample in YouTube , below and in story link in above post.

Hep Alien, theMess, RayS and 2 others like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This is all well and good, but did your source pass along any info about a possible new Dave Clark 5 record ? :p

13. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

A new Paul album?

:goodie::goodie::pineapple:

Sean, Who Cares, Mkirk and 3 others like this.
  14. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Back to the Egg archive first, or he's not allowed to release a new album....

Sean, 905, jmxw and 3 others like this.
  15. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I rather would forget that. I adore the movie, and wish it had been left well alone. And Bill Kenwright has made a career out of staging godawful plays and musicals, usually touring the provinces with them and featuring 'stars' you'd been wondering for years what had happened to them.

Sean, Talmi K and Rob Hughes like this.

• [​IMG]

Another photo from the movie.

16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

'Pure McCartney' got certified Silver in the UK last week.

theMess, janmaccazwan, fer2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Would this new record be connected to the remake of "It's a Wonderful Life" that he was said to be working on?

19. Arnold Grove

Doubtful. That play/musical got pushed back, like everything else due to the pandemic, and it is unlikely that Paul would venture forth with releasing any of the material for that proposed play at this time.

theMess and bRETT like this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was that the voice of Morgan Freeman, at the beginning there?

21. Arnold Grove

You are correct. He is the film's narrator.

22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...that gives it some credibility...for me anyway.

23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Yes, I can second this. I for the record love We All Stand Together, it's very well made, catchy as a song can get and even when I did not know the video, it was a very visual song. Awesome for kids by age and heart.
    And Once Upon A Long Ago is easily the most listened song ever for me, I used to listen to it each morning before getting up for more than a year. Do the counting. Usualy the Extended version, the one with the unbelievably sloppy cut.
    I do think it's a bit kitchy, though, I find it hard to imagine how Freddie Mercury would have fit in here as well. Musically it's just a default McCartney ballad, the arrangement is playing it safe and by the "rulebook". But it's well done as a song (not as a production, sticking tobpretty much stock sounds from the period ... a bit too much produced and ... sax! To me many cuts and fades are clumsy, just there not to follow the song but to create a different version ... that one cut I mentioned that is sticking out more than any Beatles cut, until today I just cannot understand how that could get through, did Paul really not care, have no say, as much as he likes to keep on top of his productions?). I remember very much the excitement when he came on at Wetten Daß ... His show was good, Gottschalk was his cringeworthy self.
    But I still love the feel of the song, it's nice and warm and lyric wise he applies some of the nonsense mode Lennon was so well known for, I don't think they don't make much sense but sound good and create a certain atmosphere.
    All in all to me it may far away from being his best acomplishment in music, but surely lovable, and I do love it.
    Besides, 4 different versions of this song ... wow. 2 x 12'', 1 x 7''/single CD and the album. That's taking it quite far for such a small song. :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Hep Alien, theMess, JLPMacca and 7 others like this.
  24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Sean, Hep Alien, theMess and 2 others like this.