Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I really hope the rumours are true as well. It wouldn't be totally out of character for McCartney to spend his downtime by immersing himself in his studio, and he did say in that recent interview that he'd been working on some new stuff. So I'm catiously optimistic that the rumours are true.

BTW, the Revox in my avatar is not actually mine. I found it hard to take a photo that was suitable for an avatar so I just took one off the internet.

[​IMG]

This is my actual Revox B77 which I show off any chance I get (as you can tell). Great machine.

2. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Oh that is gorgeous!!!

jacden likes this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I can’t explain how excited this thread has made me; when I read the GQ interview and saw the photos Mary took of Paul in the gardens, it reminded me so much of ‘McCartney 2’ and the “Waterfalls” video but I didn’t imagine that we would actually be getting a “McCartney 3”.

I am over the moon that it now seems very likely, especially with the domain name registration.

It will be interesting to see if it is the first of the self-titled albums to only feature Paul, or if he has drafted some of his family in on harmonies.

Thank you for sharing the information with us !

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

McCartney III is something I have wished for a very long time
    If this turn out to be true I am an even happier man than before

Paulwalrus, Mkirk, Sean and 8 others like this.
  5. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I won't mind another home made affair - they're always intriguing as well as containing the odd gem. But, in spite of the lockdown context, I'm a bit surprised by it. His promotional team invested so much time and money and effort into getting Egypt Station to the top of the charts, the commercial logic would suggest they'd be looking to build on that by releasing another album they could bring to the same broad audience. A McCartney III is surely more of a core fan sort of thing.

Sean, omikron and mrjinks like this.
  6. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

There have been rumours of another studio album in the works since last year so maybe a high profile follow up to Egypt Station is a separate project he’d been working on before lockdown meant he had to pause?

Paulwalrus, Elliottmarx and theMess like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If McCartney III is half as good as the previous two McCartney albums I would be more than pleased. I sincerely hope there is some truth in this rumour.
    I enjoy most incarnations of Macca but nothing really beats him alone in the studio doin what comes to his mind.
    With Egypt Station we got a late career masterpiece. To follow up that with McCartney III would be grand. Ecspecially since Paul himself has mentioned the quarantine as a way for him to finish up a few old song-ideas
    Maybe Im amazed
    Every Night
    Waterfalls
    Coming up
    are just some of the songs that we have on the previous McCartney albums so....
    Bring it on

Paulwalrus, Sean, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  8. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

My favorite song by far off of Egypt Station was "Dominos", which I believe was a song he did all on his own. I'd love an entire album of stuff like that. Great melody, good lyrics and quirky instrumentation and production. Pure Paul.

9. Paul once have a dinner with Charlotte, Serge Gainsbourg's daughter. He sent her a song demo.
    Charlotte tried to record it with her musicians, but they didn't like the result (I think it was too classic compared to the other songs from the album, more electro). So they made a "deconstruction" of the song.
    Paul heard the result and liked it, even ask to record himself some more instruments for it. That was made in Electric Lady Studio : guitar, piano and additional drums.

Paulwalrus, Hep Alien, Calico and 8 others like this.
  10. We need a compilation of "solo solo McCartney"... begins in 1965?

Paulwalrus, Sean, Who Cares and 3 others like this.
  11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

If that would also mean his "solo" Beatles songs, and stripped down mixes of them, like Yesterday master without strings, Blackbird master without bird effects, then yes that would be a cool idea for a release.

12. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

So excited about McCartney III!
    Unrelated, but do you think that (when/if) we get either a London Town or Back To The Egg archive set that there will be an official release of the full Rupert Soundtrack he recorded with Wings?

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

After getting the Bruce McMouse show with the previous deluxe sets, I would think it’s more likely then it ever was!

Paulwalrus and Boognish like this.
  14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I guess there are a couple ways to approach this.

Why try to follow up a nearly perfect album with another one that tries to match it's success? It's very hard to do. History is replete with "poor" followups after well-received albums. Whether they are actually poor or not is irrelevant but they get compared to their predecessor nonetheless. Perhaps Paul wants to bypass all that by putting out something "wacky". I'm going to assume this will be a quirky one. Then he would negate any "well it isn't as good as Egypt Station" arguments right out of the gate. There won't be any comparison. It's actually a clever way to come out a winner again. Paul still cares on some level what the press say.

As far as getting to the top of the charts, while it has never been quantified it is generally believed that Paul achieved his number 1 by giving away copies of Egypt Station with concert tickets. Bundled with a ticket, they counted as sales. That is not going to be an option this time around. Paul is going to have to get to #1 on real physical sales and streaming alone. That can be done but it's going to be tough.

So again, he can just say "Eh, McIII is experimental guys. I didn't do this record to get to #1. I did it for fun and to experiment." Again he totally controls that conversation and deflated any negative comments. It becomes an "it's art, take it or leave it" discussion.

Just my take on it, anyway.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. beatleroadie

I would think Paul's goal with McCartney III would be less to get #1 and more to get a GRAMMY.

16. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

The deal for Egypt Station was to have a number one, so they could change the goal and if it's to have a grammy as the CD will probably out in December, would be for the grammy in 2022

beatleroadie likes this.
  17. But we even like "junk"!

Bemagnus likes this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Apparently, that will not be an option ever again...

Billboard Announces New Chart Rules: No More Merch & Ticket Bundles

19. But to be recorded solo in this special pandemic period is also a good commercial gimmick for the press and TV ad of this new CD!

20. beatleroadie

Yep, I'm just thinking more like critical acclaim/authentic/intimate record from the living legend kind of thing rather than pop. More like Chaos & Creation. Could be a somber record with some experimentation....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Max Wilbury likes this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That’s an extremely good point, that was my favourite song on what I felt was a fabulous and strong album. His ability to write and record a wonderful song entirely on his own has never left.

I would love for more material like that and some of the exploratory songs that reminded me of his eponymous albums like “Nothing For Free” and “Frank Sinatra’s Party”, both of which I felt were excellent and exciting.

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The idea of him using Mary for harmonies is pretty cool.

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

How about we throw the dogs off the scent and release the new album as an Archive Edition in real time

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (For my fans)

This is just foolin’ around

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I play this song more than anything else from Egypt Station. As much as I love that album, I love this song.

I hope he releases what he wants, without trying to chase anything. Just do your thing, Paul.

I feel his chasing some kind of contemporary hit, like "Fuh You," hurt Egypt Station. I have re-configured the album very slightly, by removing that song altogether and adding "Get Started" in the same spot on the album. Boy, does it improve the flow and feel of the album.