Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Were "In A Hurry"/"Home Tonight" Egypt Station outtakes or a standalone single? If not from the Egypt Sessions, could we see more similar to those songs? I think "In A Hurry" is definitely one of his most interesting newer songs (more so the verses than the "celebrate" section although I don't hate that either)

Hep Alien, Who Cares and theMess like this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am the same, it’s now my most played song from the sessions, it’s just so ingratiating and characterful and fun and catchy. I love that it also revives a quirky Rude Studio demo and adds lyrics about his time with the Beatles.

I also agree with you about swapping “Get Started” in for “Fuh You”, which I enjoy but feel would have been better suited as a single release or bonus.

Paul had such fruitful sessions that it’s hard for me to not also feel that several other songs should have been on the album, such as “Sixty Second Street”, “Nothing For Free” and “Home Tonight”.

Paulwalrus, Hep Alien, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  3. Here’s an AMAZING reAch back - studio recording rehearsal by Paul, Linda and Wings on Band On the Run.
    Great sound and video - Macca On his Rickenbacker Bass!

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

"EPK Paul - Charlotte Gainsbourg
    "Songbird In A Cage" was written by Paul McCartney
    Here’s a little video of SebastiAn and I discussing the story behind the song and the time we spent with Paul in the studio."

Paulwalrus, Hep Alien, Calico and 5 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In which case, the following announcement will be forthcoming from Billboard:

"Paul McCartney, the former Beatle, once again tops the Billboard album charts with his new solo release McCartney III. Due to the new rules against merch/ticket bundles, McCartney's new record achieved the #1 spot by selling a grand total of 384 albums, beating all the other competition by dozens of copies. ..."

;)

6. I may have gotten this wrong in above post.

But what is this, actually?

I don’t recall anyone else on the recording of Band on the Run. But, Jimmy is here. Perhaps it’s a rehearsal for a tour - in the studio?!?!

Help! Anyone. LOL

Bemagnus likes this.
  7. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

384? This isn't a Ringo album!

I'm gonna get killed for that one, aren't I?

Hep Alien, Sean, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

From the ONE HAND CLAPPING sessions/filming in 1974.

Paulwalrus, Hep Alien, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

My favorite McCartney album is McCartney ( bowl of cherries) my least favorite McCartney II. I tried to like it just sounded like throwaways. Coming up bleccchh.

10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

384 copies will be sold?
    Wow, he will beat the sales for Ringo’s last album by 370 copies . Congratulations to Paul will be in order!
    :p

Paul speaking when he is 120 years old:
    When I started this new album I thought back to the times when I worked with Laurence Juber and Steve Holley and that inspired me to work the same way. :D

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, I got that.

But, still, even when concerts resume, the rules have changed to disallow that sort of tomfoolery... The albums sales would now only count if there is an option not to purchase the album with the tickets and the price is different between the two options [if I read the article correctly]...

omikron and mrjinks like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Woah! Burn!

[​IMG]

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes.

I believe the most accurate answer is both. They were purported to be outtakes from Egypt Station, although it's quite possible that they were "tarted up" a bit after the fact..

And they were released as a standalone single. [Double A-side]

14. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

When I saw this post and this montage few days ago I was taken back. It's brilliant and I liked it a lot of course but back in August, while I was sharing with some friends the fantastic pictures taken by Mary McCartney for GQ, I had myself made a silly montage. I insist, this was before we heard about this, hopefully confirmed soon, December possible release.
    I didn't have my own picture at hand and I thought for a moment : "how could my silly thing end up on the net ?". :laugh:

Sorry for the redundancy but it just shows that even back in August, I was still fantasizing about a McCARTNEY III album. :)
    Below, my montage.

Now, number nine, number nine, number nine of October. Let's enjoy the 2020 Gimme Some Truth set and hopefully... Gimme some news (Paul) !!

[​IMG]

Paulwalrus, fdsfd, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I have no problem with the new rule. Makes sense to me

Hep Alien, jmxw and omikron like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

But not to put it past the labels/management/promoters/artists....what if the difference is $1 for digital download?

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Well, it was nice keeping the discussion here for awhile, but I think we're reaching critical mass where a new thread is needed. I'd hoped to hold off until October, but since we're getting dozens of daily posts here, I think I'll start one up. This thread does, after all, have a slightly different purpose as I'm sure the OP would attest. :)

So, if you can, please consider posting your McIII thoughts here:
    Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 11, 2020)

18. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

What if there is no McCartney III, but we just keep talking about it and drum up enough hype so that Paul feels like he has to make it and then we do get McCartney III? ;)

19. mrjinks

There's some sort of minimum pricing required. I read the details some time ago and can't remember what it is exactly. I want to say it was like $6 or $8 or something like that (still less than a cd costs at retail).

20. mrjinks

I will to have to be admitted to an ICU for extreme trauma if there is no McIII…
    :sweating:

21. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Seriously, You don't know what this is??? Wow. It's the August 1974 film "One Hand Clapping". As with most Paul film projects this one sat in the McCartney vault for 40 years until it emerged (slightly edited) on the deluxe edition of "Band on The Run" in 2010. The 1974 promo film for "Juniors Farm" came from it.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  22. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

In which case the ER would most likely administer a McCartney IV! ;)

23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's a fair point. But at least it is actually selling something... even if it's only valuing the work at $1...

I recall Prince [or Artist Formerly Known As] making an argument waaaaay back in the late 90's about how he will make more money selling music on the internet cheaper because there is no record company overhead... I get that theoretically, but I don't think it ever really turned out that way for him, as he turned back to major labels to distribute his albums by the mid-2010's anyway...

24. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think the album cover should be a bowl overflowing with cherries to really show what a spectacular life he has had.

Or maybe this.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and andrewskyDE like this.