Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not sure if that helped or hurt the Communist regime in Czechoslavakia back then.... ;)

2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

How does one say "Body guy" in Czech?

forthlin, omikron and longdist01 like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sounds like Macca meets Abba.

4. McCartney says: “The music royalties all count the same” ;)

JDeanB likes this.
  5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney on Twitter:

""These forests are being cleared at a shocking rate to farm more industrial meat and dairy. This is why reducing our meat is so important" - Paul McCartney Can you spot Paul in this new video from @greenpeaceuk? #ActForAmazon"

6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

1:46, on the right.

7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Stumbled upon this on YouTube and can’t recall if I’d seen it previously. Younger fans might not realize that Paul used to very rarely make US tv “chat show” appearances, unlike over the last 20 years or so.

Seems like some tension between Carson and McCartney to me!

somnar, Hep Alien, theMess and 3 others like this.
  9. tonylevin'ssuitcase

tonylevin'ssuitcase Forum Resident

I haven't watched this clip yet but I remember watching it when it first aired in 84. I remember recording in on a portable cassette player, with the mic next to the speaker. Carson just seemed completely uninformed and clueless about anything beyond Paul haven been in the Beatles. "So, do you still write music?" I think that explains the awkwardness.

And, yes, it was a big deal back then to have a former Beatle on a talk show. A few years later, the novelty was definitely gone!

Who Cares, omikron, Oaw and 2 others like this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Exotiki, JDeanB, omikron and 2 others like this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Guitarist Steve Lukather on surprising Paul McCartney and why "it all begins with the Beatles"

"On set, Lukather says, "We were told when we got there that we shouldn't talk about the Beatles with Paul.… After about two days [working] with Linda, she said 'Who told you that? That's ridiculous, Paul loves talking about the Beatles.' So me, being a young ballsy kid in my 20s, I started playing 'Please Please Me.' And Paul looked up at us, surprised, and then he started singing and everybody jumped in!"

As Lukather explains, "I respect what came before me — I'm a big fan of all sorts of music — but it all begins with the Beatles.""

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's a wonder Steve Lukather has anything nice to say about Paul, especially since Paul insisted that Steve would have to look like this (lower left) if he wanted to get hired: ;)

[​IMG]

13. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

I'm listening to Press to Play. Isn't 'Footprints' beautiful?

Rob Hughes, tteal, CDC and 14 others like this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

An absolutely gorgeous song with such evocative lyrics. I love the story about how Paul and Eric wrote it on the spot after being inspired. I would rate it as one of the most underrated ballads of Paul's career and one of the best examples of how he could meld his songwriting style with mid-80's production.

15. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Came across this image of Paul with Lady Gaga in the studio for the ‘High in the Clouds’ sessions that took place around 2015 that I’d never seen before. I wonder if this project will ever see the light of day?

[​IMG]

CDC, Hep Alien, longdist01 and 7 others like this.
  16. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Two lefties working together... Must be something good :agree:

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The Smokin' Mojo Filters – Come Together (1995 HELP)

Recorded for the 1995 HELP album at Abbey Road Studios, The Smokin’ Mojo Filters are Paul Weller, Paul McCartney and Noel Gallagher as well as Steve Craddock from Ocean Colour Scene on guitar, Damon Minchella from Ocean Colour Scene on bass, Steve White on drums, Carleen Anderson backing vocals.

Also present were Paolo Hewitt, Ocean Colour Scene’s singer Simon Fowler, Mary McCartney and Linda McCartney who took photos, Stella McCartney, Kate Moss, Johnny Depp and Meg Matthews

All of the songs, along with a handful that were released on a companion EP, were recorded on one day, Monday, September 4th, 1995, mixed the following day, and released to the buying public a few days later, on Saturday, September 9th.

HELP sold over 70,000 copies on day one and reached number one in the UK compilation charts. HELP would have reached number one on the UK albums chart had it been eligible.

The album also won a special award at the 1995 #QAwards and the Freddie Mercury Award at the 1996 BRIT Awards.

To listen to the whole record and buy a copy of the vinyl go to: https://warchild.lnk.to/Help25So

To hear more about the creation of this amazing record listen to the podcast 'HELP: The Story of the War Child Album' here: https://bit.ly/2FntBSG

To find out more and donate go to: https://bit.ly/33Vi1aM

This clip is part of a documentary originally produced for Channel 4 in 1995. You can watch the whole documentary here: https://youtu.be/A5QHGj9y0mo

Director – Douglas Hart
    Lighting Camera – Laurence Watson
    Telecine – Siggy Serstl
    Editor – Dave Gardener

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's very interesting.

I'd always assumed Paul played bass on this, but it looks like [based on this video, which I'd never seen until now,] he just overdubbed drums and electric piano [and did not take part in the basic track recording].

Hep Alien, longdist01 and Who Cares like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

And backing vocals...

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Right. I was just thinking in terms of instrumentation, but clearly backing vocals too. :righton:

longdist01, Who Cares and mrjinks like this.
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I was just reading the Thrillington summary on Paul's website. Anyone notice anything odd about this summary?

Thrillington

album notes
    The mysterious Thrillington was an instrumental cover version of Wings’ 1971 album RAM, recorded that same year at Abbey Road Studios, under the pseudonym of Percy "Thrills" Thrillington. Paul produced the album while Richard Hewson (who had previously worked on The Beatles’ Let It Be) arranged and conducted. Thrillington was shelved following the formation of Wings and finally appeared, after a teaser ad campaign in the press, in 1977.

Hep Alien, BeSteVenn and Who Cares like this.
  23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It seems "This one is for the Wings fans!" has altered history. :laugh:

24. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Ram was a Wings album? See, Paul was right!

Who Cares, longdist01 and omikron like this.
  25. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I guess Paul likes altering history alright. Tug of War and Pipes of Peace were covered in Wingspan.

Hep Alien, Who Cares and longdist01 like this.