Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Dad! Where have you been all these years ? ? :laugh:

Wingsfan2012, Zeki, Haristar and 2 others like this.
  2. Glenn Christense

Yep, in an era when rock and rollers were scum to the Greatest Generation, my dad must have put up with a lot of grief because that’s the life path I chose.

Now, the “dads” of my generation all played in garage bands themselves after the British Invasion so they probably play guitar themselves .

Back then my aunts and uncles probably wondered if I did ... herijuana. :D

mrjinks likes this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I wish I could come up with an appropriately witty response, but I'm afraid my hearing aid is out of batteries... :cool:

Glenn Christense and mrjinks like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I think I may have teased you once (or twice?) about being older than me, Glenn, but I’m just insanely jealous you got to see the Beatles and I never had a chance (born in ‘65). However, my dad was born in 1925, and he’d listen to Muzak versions of Beatles songs and like them! I’d point out that he was enjoying THEIR music, to no avail.

Yes, it’s a sore spot, and a genuinely unpleasant memory. I truly hope you don’t have many of those. You’re one of my favorites here.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. Glenn Christense

First off, I’m sorry about your economic circumstances and I can understand because the only other book I’ve popped 100 bucks for is Recording the Beatles. I don’t buy many things so I figure I can splurge on this new book and the Beatles anniversary editions once in awhile.

That being said, have you ever read Paul’s book (with Barry Miles), Many Years From Now ?
    If you haven’t I think it might be a satisfying alternative for you to read, for much less money .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    lazydynamite likes this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Thanks and back at ya!
    My mom actually enjoyed hearing when I played Beatles and Moody Blues etc., records.

Every family was different back then, but it seems that in that era anyway, the dads were sort of the ones to lay down the law and although they could do things with us, they weren’t interested in being our .. pals, they were authority figures .:D

BeSteVenn and mrjinks like this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Man, you guys make me feel lucky... I had one of the coolest Dad's ever, musically. He was born 14 years later than Jinx' Dad and had lots of blues and R&B classics, and he had three Beatles records in his collection [Introducing, MMT, and The Beatles Again].

On the other hand, my Mom didn't like them because they thought they were bigger than Jesus and the cursing in that song about John and Yoko... :shrug:

8. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

With all this parents talk, here's my little story.

Until today my parents are classical only. Though due to my father my favourite records were
    about 5 years: Hänsel und Gretel, Humperdinck
    about 6 years: St Luke Passion, Penderecki and Moses and Aron, Schönberg

Then came the first 80s chart music, a few years later The Beatles. That was kind of tolerated, but especially my mother gets physically unwell when listening to ro pop or rock. But she also cannot listen to the minimalists, such as Reich.
    It took me years to understand why I never found Revolution 9 that difficult to hear, love Mr Kite, ADITL, Walrus. It all became evidently clear when about 30 years later I put on the last to records. Besides I am still mesmerized how strange it was, listening to this again for the first time after all those years and feeling completely at home within all those sounds and clusters, almost cozy. I also now think my love for minimalism and drone music is a direct continuition.
    (Sorry if you are forced to read this again.)

But now on to the main story.
    During the 90s when I was visiting I was listening to Kraftwerk. Could have been Autobahn, but my recollection is shady. I thought I'd not unnerve my father and put on some softer, unintrusive, more ambient house.

A short while later he looked up from his newspaper: "Oh, the music before was much more rhythmically interesting."

9. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I guess we could file this under miscellaneous.

What's with all the lava lamps? lol

10. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

They belonged to her mum and adorned her keyboards during the last tours. Wix has one on stage to this day as a kind of memorial.

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I got one for Christmas. Love it :)

12. Celebrate George Harrison’s birthday with exclusive specials on The Beatles Channel
    February 18, 2020

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!

[​IMG]

It’s time for “the quiet Beatle” to take the spotlight. In celebration of what would be George Harrison’s 77th birthday, SiriusXM is presenting special programming leading up to the big day (February 25), complete with mini Harrison song sets throughout this weekend. See details below and catch it all when it airs on The Beatles Channel (Ch. 18).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021

13. [​IMG]

·
    Feb 25

Have a great day on what would have been my mate George’s birthday

[​IMG] - Paul #PaulMcCartney #GeorgeHarrison

[​IMG]

Wingsfan2012, Zeki, omikron and 3 others like this.
  14. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

Not really unless you call his life a couple of years in the 1960s

15. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Posted this in another active thread but it really belongs here rather than buried in the Yoko POB discussions.

Here’s what’s been verified about the RAM half-speed remaster vinyl issue.

It is coming out BEFORE Record Store Day, originally planned for May 17 but might be moved to sometime in April depending on how things go. Expect a generic inner sleeve like the original UK release, an OBI with half-speed mastering information, and a certificate with Miles Showell’s explanations. If you got the McCartney half-speed master this will all be very familiar. That’s all I can report right now.

16. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

It’s that shirt again!

[​IMG]

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

18. “Bigly”. ;)

RayS and mrjinks like this.
  19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney on Instagram:

"The Lyrics' will be the definitive text of Paul's songs, from his earliest boyhood compositions through to The Beatles, Wings and his solo albums.⁣"

[​IMG]

21. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

coffeetime, Who Cares and foxylady like this.
  22. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

There's a cracking deal on the book on amazon.de, right now!

Currently at 58 EUR...

23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Don’t know if anyone posted, McCartney lyric book down to $60 on Amazon