Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

His legacy is secure no matter what he does for the rest of his life. When it’s all said and done nobody’s going to care about late in life performances where his vocals weren’t up to snuff.

2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

That’s my point exactly…Likewise most probably his solo legacy will eventually rise most especially after his death.

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

On a busy year, he does usually below 30 shows for the entire year, so he is already doing less. Just sayin' .

PhoffiFozz and Ms. Daisy like this.
  4. joy stinson

Maybe because of Covid..but that’s good for his voice anyway. The problem now appears to be his current vocal limitations.

Haristar likes this.
  5. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I know he won’t do it, but I believe he should adapt the setlist of any future shows he will hopefully do to fit the current state of his voice. Stop singing songs he struggles with (bye bye Maybe I’m Amazed) and lower the tone of other songs. But for the biggest part of the setlist I think he can still pull it of with the help of his band and maybe shorter shows. Plus, when you’re at a Paul McCartney concert it is the experience you’ll most value, not whether he still sings like a 30-year-old.

6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No, has nothing to do with Covid. He has been doing a smaller schedule since about 2009. It just seems like more because he’s out every year

joy stinson likes this.
  7. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Well, WE might not expect it but there are plenty of opportunistic clowns out there looking for their Andy Warhol moment who won't hesitate to bash him for his performance.

Who Cares, BeSteVenn and Haristar like this.
  8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, send in the clowns! I don’t think Paul cares about what they have to say. And why should he? He’s Uber rich, is doing what he loves to do and in the process making many people happy

Let the Monkees chatter in their cages. There has to be a time in life where you don’t allow the naysayers to control your decision. If you don’t like his current voice…..simple……don’t go to a concert. It really is that simplistic

9. joy stinson

I didn’t know this. I guess folks can show vaccinated cards and wear masks at shows.

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Ok that may be, but he still needs to be looking after his physical health. But 80 year old rockers is a mostly new phenomenon and I don't think it's easy for them to let live performances go.

joy stinson likes this.
  11. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

for what its worth, a few weeks back I saw another 80 year old musician and he gave an incredible performance, playing a lot of new songs that use his now-80 year old voice to great effect, and rearranged some of the older ones, also didn't sing a lot of greatest hits, but the crowd loved what he was doing, I'm talking of course about ... Bob Dylan!

I know its a very different approach to Paul's , in live performance, but i wonder if Paul can recast some of the older songs in a more friendly key and tempo for him these days, and still give a great performance....

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm not sure it's ageism to notice that when someone tries to sing in public but can't hit or hold the notes it sounds unpleasant.

Oaw and Haristar like this.
  13. joy stinson

Inability due to age as manifested by a performance to do something well certainly isn’t ageism nor is not caring for an older person’s efforts at something which falls short of their efforts as a younger person …but the person being mocked for it as he’s been by some online is ageism.

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I remember a few years ago when that red haired hottie, whose made up name I don't remember right now and am too lazy to look up, was brand new on the scene with an album that was making big waves. She went on SNL and sang poorly. She was young, still is, but was mocked for it.

People young and old, male and female and whatever else, are routinely mocked for taking public face plants. The more public, the more intense the mocking gets. Doesn't have to be an ism involved.

I remember now - Lana Del Rey. But I like my description above better than her phony name.

Oaw and joy stinson like this.
  15. joy stinson

Very true..only becomes ageism when stuff ..not that you have done this certainly..but stuff like sounds like “grandpa doing karaoke” or he’s “ mr hair dye,” or he looks like an old lady” or looks “like Angela Lansbury”memes become a thing for ridicule online. So true about the public stumbling of celebrities of any age makes them easy targets for mocking and in today’s world of social media especially there’s little civility.

Frank likes this.
  16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Here! here!

To paraphrase Bill Murray in What About Bob? "There are two kinds of people in the world: people who still like seeing Paul live and people who don't. I LOVE it!"

17. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

18. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Please note: this is written in the key of sadness.

McCartney right now seems to be tainted with still being alive and active while undenyably old.
    Once he is dead, his image can change back to his more agile and high achieving younger self. Then people will be able to pick the McCartney they want without being actively deterred by his "presence".

I personally am thrilled that he is living a happy and creative life. I just need to look at Chris Rea, who had to go silent due to health reasons. I think he has done his very, very best work late in life. Such as his Blue series, Hofner series and his monumental 11 CD "Earbook" set chronicling the Blues and it's different incarnations with all new original material. (And for a regular price point below €50, I payed €36 which is absolutely ridiculous.)
    When I open his Deezer page the above mentioned process is already visible: his profile image is one I almost did not recognize: a young Chris in an armless shirt ... I certainly was aware of his successful pop past (how could I not, the talented songwriter and performer that he is) , but to me his really important work begins with Stony Road 2002 up to his most recent Road Songs For Lovers. But his management seems to have switched back to his younger self. Ok, the recent remasters also concentrate on his earlyer pop work.
    “I can’t bear to listen to my old records” something Rea repeated a few times in various phrasings after 2002.
    Just listen to this interview. He touches also upon being remembered, or actually being misremembered.

I expect something similar to happen with McCartney's legacy.

Something I do not remember,
    did McCartney change his streaming profile images for his archive releases? I just checked, Spotify and Deezer are different, but both contemporary.

Paul McCartney
    Paul McCartney
    https://tidal.com/browse/artist/8849
    Paul McCartney on Apple Music

19. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Wow. Amazing find.
    I have only known the YT videos. Luckily they are done respectfully, else I would absolutely not link them. But both seem to be filming only from the street and not enter private ground.
    A beautiful area. I can fully understand why he has chosen this place to create a working space. Beautiful and off the beaten track.
    This one was uploaded June 2021. I wonder if he was inside working on McCartney III.

This video gives an impression of the area and the drive to the place.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tjlAMgmjk
    I wonder if this would be turned into a museum at some point in the future. Would be appropriate. Though the London home would possibly get more visits from people who are just passing by.

Unpainted Dreams and foxylady like this.
  20. Claudio Dirani

I know the woman who made this video. We've met at several gigs.

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  21. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I've said the same thing for awhile now. He has sooo many songs he wrote withan older voice, why not make them the majority of the songs ?

22. Claudio Dirani

I love what Dylan does, but it's hard to compare his to Paul's approach.
    I just would like to see more contemporary tunes on the set. Instead of 3 at least 5 or 6, as it used to be back in the 1989-90 and 1993 tours.

23. Claudio Dirani

Paul was certainly watching this on May, 25th 1969

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Who Cares and Claudio Dirani like this.
  25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I find it intriguing that the main road into Icklesham (the village where Hogg Hill Mill Studio is) from Paul's house is called Broad Street!

I wonder if that's more than coincidence?

Alen, Who Cares, hEARt PhoniX and 2 others like this.