Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

2. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I've heard it all, and am awaiting the Isn't It A Pity episode and Season Two; the score is included in my custom Sgt. Pepper's deluxe edition.

hEARt PhoniX and joy stinson like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Is this video as well as audio?

4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Off topic but:

So...I spent all night at work thinking about what Macca's real last ever show would be like if I wrote the setlist, and I came up with these ideas--

ISHST opener

Temporary Secretary

BOTR, Jet, 1985 and Silly Love Songs with Denny Laine and Laurence Juber

When I'm 64

Twenty Flight Rock

My Brave Face, Baby's In Black, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party with Elvis Costello

My Valentine with Michael Bublé and Diana Krall

Uncle Albert

In My Life

Sgt. Pepper/WALHFMF/SFF/ADITL

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End with Ringo

Long Tall Sally encore with everyone

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Yes, in glorious HD

John Gill, Floater, supermd and 2 others like this.
  6. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Listening to the McCartney Glastonbury audio, the video is geoblocked for me.
    Glastonbury - On Stage With - Paul McCartney at Glastonbury 2022 - BBC Sounds
    Even though I am only at Junior's Farm ... may I say that he and the band appear to be on fire? Are they playing a tiny bit faster than usual? Or more heavy? I mentioned that the NY version of I Want To Be Your Man together with Springsteen was my favourite version, I felt it was the raunchiest except from the Stones' single.

So far I have just heard a few tiny bits from Glasto, not only am I very happy about the setlist as such (quite a few tracks in good live quality that we do not have that good yet), but also with those live horns, who are adding some extra kick to the mix. Letting Go, Got To Get You ... just wow!

Right now I have got the impression it may become a live favourite from his later time, and certainly since turning 80. ;)

How amazing is this, Glasto22 brought the youngest headliner ever (Billie Eilish, 20) and the oldest (Paul McCartney, 80).
    And both are world changers. One at the unavoidable end of his career, one at the beginning.
    And yes, I am fully in awe of Billie and Finneas' abilities. I have been following their releases since she was 14 and a lot depends in their future path, but right now ... I do feel a lot of similarities to The Beatles' US success. Similarly "sudden", both like to spice up pop with avant garde and leftfield elements, are clever and eloquent ... and both inspire many from their fanbase to take up guitars / electronics / ukulele.
    I have seen videos of Billie sharing an empty stage with her brother and a drummer in the background, and she is running and bouncing around, filling that huge stage all on her own.

Then there was Kendrick Lamar another greatest of the greatest ... I still need to hear the new album, I am so excited to hear his set ...
    (And I so wish Paul would have worked with Lamar instead of KW ... I just dislike about everything about that ego guy ...)

And Glasto MacCa greatness continues at a smoking Let 'Em In. And those dissonant guitar and the solo bit with piano / guitar during 1985 ... all these things add those exciting next level extras ... Plus this is the

It seems he now allowes the band a bit more looseness and spontanious tiny bits. Which is good.
    And which would answer my above question.
    I am enjoying this so much I am even celebrating In Spite Of All The Danger and Love Me Do.
    But ... he said You Never Give Me Your Money was the first time live ... eh ... he added an "at Glastonbury", which is more accurate. :)

Even if he would play no more live gigs after this, he would have gone with a bang. Smoking hot. At 80.

And before you ask ... no, I do not care much for his voice now, I do not expect him to be the virtuous acrobat he once was. I do not expect that of anyone that age, be it Brian Wilson or Diana Ross or Paul McCartney. I am happy it obviously was in a good form, it is the voice of someone who has lived long and prosper singing and rocking all the way and I can accept that.

(...)

Now I am almost through. Paused after Hey Jude. I've Got A Feeling. Wow. Just wow. I did not expect to hear a professional recording so soon.

And again, this Helter Skelter may be the most rocking live one I have heard.

What a show.

7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

If Macca and band are sounding this great, what are the odds of a new live album by end of the year????

Enough "new" songs not on the last live album "Good Evening NYC"????

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Certainly anything is possible, but I'd be stunned if there were a new live album at this point. Though Paul sang better than expected this tour, by most accounts, the simple fact is that he's sung better before. Since virtually all the songs on this tour weren't new to his live act, that would imply there are better performances of the vast majority of songs that he chose to do this year. I'd think a much more sensible project would be a sort of "Live Anthology" spanning the years. That could pick up some of the "orphaned" live tracks that never appeared on live albums (Too Many People, I'll Get You, From Me To You, Bluebird, etc.) and, just to flex his muscles, concluded with something like The Medley from Glastonbury. Or something like that. That would give the compilers a chance to mix in a smattering of his best 2022 performances with other songs that haven't previously been issued. Just my two cents.

9. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I wish they would finally put together the mooted soundcheck compilation that's been thrown around for many years.

tug_of_war, jeremylr, jricc and 3 others like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

A live album would kill any chance of a Archive set(s) this year IMO. Schedule already starting to fill

July 12th? Get Back
    August 5th McCartney 3 Part 3

2 more projects in the pipeline and still all quiet on SINYC, concert for Bangladesh or any possible Archive

11. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Are the two projects in the pipeline Paul related?

omikron likes this.
  12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

been asked not to elaborate at this point. Just making a point that possible release schedules are quickly running out of runway space.

And let’s also remember that McCartney 3 part 3 was 8 months later than time frame originally given to me. So who knows how current conditions will effect things.

13. Wingsfan2012

Thanks MW as always....I am just thinking if Paul and Co. think they sound as good as everyone is saying that knowing GENYC is nearly 15 years old, that maybe one last live album at 80 would be a thought?

omikron likes this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

But these 2 is not an archive and not “High in the Clouds”

Also, having said that, it does not mean that there is no possibility of them coming. Just means that nothing has been relayed to me in reference to them. I’m sure there are folks here with better sources than I….just a matter of if they will share here or not

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

On the bright side, perfect audio and video already available and will become increasingly easier to find.

I’ve got mind but will most certainly but any official offering

Floater and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  16. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

:edthumbs:

17. Wingsfan2012

Maybe a very quiet summer 2022 will bear some nice products in Q3 and Q4. Fingers crossed!

18. Wingsfan2012

In due time, just knowing the pipeline is heating up a bit is a nice thought.......

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hoping for a live Macca Glasto videodisc!

John Gill likes this.
  20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Definitely, news has been increasingly difficult the past couple of years, it’s nice to know that something/anything is in the works

tug_of_war, jricc, kevintee and 2 others like this.
  21. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

So as of today, per insider, the two new projects are not:

High in the Clouds
    Archive Projects
    Live Albums

Things that have long been rumored:
    (could the releases be one of these?)

Guitar Concerto
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Soundcheck Album
    Rarities (a la Cold Cuts)

tug_of_war and James McCartney like this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

McCartney said one time three years ago that "one day we will have to put together an album, or something" from soundcheck recordings. Bored fans have turned it into a "long rumored" project "that's been thrown around for many years."

Floater, Tord, Mkirk and 11 others like this.
  23. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know I'm a repeat offender of keeping this hope alive. But it's more than just that quote, there's not another artist of his stature who performs an actual nightly soundcheck show before each concert. He and his band perform the same 'different' songs rehearsal after rehearsal, most of which aren't in the public shows - this takes a considerable amount of effort and diligence. He clearly views soundchecks as something more than an opportunity to check levels and to warm up. Also, he's included soundchecks in at least two of his official live releases - and Slidin' made it onto his recent studio album.

It's these reasons that I put so much credence into his throw away statement about a soundcheck album.

Floater, Who Cares, jricc and 2 others like this.
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, sure man, go ahead and pour the cold water of reality on my dreams...
    :magoo:

Bilbo Swaggins and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  25. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

There are a few other things we know he’s worked on recently too, like the song(s) he recorded with producer Andrew Watt in 2021, or whatever Paul was doing at Capitol Studios with an orchestra in May 2022.