Current Sony remaster campaign digital only releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 20, 2018.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin' Thread Starter

It seems like Sony is actually remastering quite a few titles in its vaults. This has been going with little fanfare or announcement for specific titles. For instance, Michael Nesmith fans were suddenly treated to the best mastering of his first six solo albums thanks the goings on of this campaign. These were pretty much announced the moment they were available.

Sony are also releasing albums via digital means only that have never been on CD. I just saw a collection of Susan Christie's early singles released this way. Sony is just kind of putting these out without any announcements so I encourage everyone to look into whether some of their most sought after titles have suddenly been released via digital only.

Please let us know what you find, especially country fans!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Lots of Jeannie Seely, Liz Anderson, etc. have been released this way, the same with Bob Luman's Columbia catalog and more.

3. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Digital only. The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem's catalog is finally (for the most part) available. There are quite a few Porter Wagoner releases available too. Some Dolly Parton as well

4. AlmanacZinger

Yeah, saw some of these. Wonder if they're different masterings than what's been on HDtracks the past few years (there's a few overlapping titles, I think). I wish Sony would go the extra mile and give us mono alternatives too.

longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very interesting, had no idea her back catalog had been released for digital. Liz Anderson has been severely neglected in the world of reissues and yet the albums she released were very consistent and of a high quality.

As someone who won't pay for downloads and prefers to own a hard copy of the material, I suspect there are other Liz Anderson fans who feel the same way. Hopefully Morello/Cherry Red, BGO or Bear Family can issue comprehensive CD collections focusing on the career output of Liz and the other overlooked country artists being discussed. The good news is that these albums have been prepared for digital and could be issued on CD in the future.

Reader likes this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

Sony seem to be going digital only for many of these. Case in point (at the moment) the Nesmith reissues sound far and away better than any CD or vinyl counterpart...and are only available for download. While I share your sentiment about having the physical media I'm actually quite relieved to have the music remastered properly at all in this day and age. If country artists start getting their catalogs finely mastered and released digitally I'll take it. And if Sony step up and release mono mixes I'll doubly take it.

Woodville, joshm2286, Gardo and 4 others like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

Exactly my point. For once I can genuinely give Sony accolades about something and they aren't even promoting it!

klockwerk and melstapler like this.
  8. John22

John22 Forum Resident

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They have repurposed a few of the Real Gone Complete Singles CD releases as online only "essential" releases. For instance, The Essential Blood Sweat & Tears.

melstapler and Simon A like this.
  10. Where are the Nesmith titles available? All my CD’s sound OK but not great.

11. AlmanacZinger

The new remasters are way better. You can even hear them on the youtube channel 'Michael Nesmith' I think. The new remasters are on Amazon and HDtracks and I think Itunes. Check them out. Cleaner and MUCH better bass response.

12. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

You can find more information here, along with where you can get them: Michael Nesmith's RCA albums arrive unannounced with previously unreleased bonus cuts
    You can purchase or stream all six expanded RCA albums on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Google Play, and HDtracks

Someone started a thread, but for some reason didn't mention the holy grail numerous previously unreleased tracks in the thread title!

AlmanacZinger and Billy Budapest like this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

You'd think Tanya Tucker's Columbia albums would be prime for this reissue/remaster campaign, but nothing so far. :shake:

crispi likes this.
  14. BradOlson

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Morello is releasing them next week!
    Delta Dawn / What's Your Mama's Name / Would You Lay With Me (In AField Of Stone) / You Are So Beautiful https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTW1JMP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TUUPBb6R1664E

RSteven and AlmanacZinger like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

Fantastic news! 3 of these have been on CD before so I hope they keep going further through Changes (her MCA and Arista albums).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    RSteven likes this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

It's funny. I wrote to the label about releasing Lacosta Tucker's albums. This'll suffice... for now...

RSteven likes this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Where can one get a list of all these Sony remastered titles, all the artists? Thank you.

kevin5brown and Vintage1976 like this.
  19. BradOlson

Most all are posted as high res downloads on Acoustic Sounds, HDTracks, etc.

whisper3978 and TonyCzar like this.
  20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

thanks Brad. I was actually hoping there was a central locations that has them all listed.

21. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Wonder how long it’ll take for the “I hate these cause they aren’t CD” crowd to show up?

Ed

giumag, Michael and Vintage1976 like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

To be fair I'm kinda one of those and I started the thread, but I think most of us are reasonable and are becoming the "As long as it's available and mastered properly I don't care what format it is" crowd. If this is the way it's gotta be at least keep 'em coming.

23. AlmanacZinger

Not sure there's a list. Sony's just kind of sneak releasing them without fanfare as far as I can tell. Just keep your eyes on the download sites Brad mentioned.

Let's keep each other informed on what we find!

John Porcellino likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They may have added a bunch of Percy Faith albums to download/streaming sites as well (I don't remember his 70's albums being there last time I checked).

25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Every format has its day and finds itself supplanted by other technologies. CDs have lasted far longer than anyone could have anticipated and while it's not over yet, it's no longer the standard. As time goes on, artists will stop releasing albums in the format and it'll become a niche thing. We're hurtling towards that now. Respect for not trippin' about it too much. Most in these parts do.

Ed

Gardo, marcb, enro99 and 2 others like this.