Current Sony remaster campaign digital only releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 20, 2018.

1. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Too bad Decca's old country catalog isn't part of this campaign. Waay too many artists on their roster gathering dust.
    You never know when the masters will just go up in flames.

connorman95, dalem5467 and D-rock like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

no CD, no sale

3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Your loss

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

not at all

dalem5467 likes this.
  5. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

You don’t even need to purchase these titles to hear them. Just need access to a streaming service.

jlf likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

But if you're unwilling to even listen to or buy mp3s then why would you bother with streaming? I like to own what I listen to.

There are many digital albums and singles that have been remastered and sound amazing and have songs not available anywhere else.

I just don't understand limiting yourself. It's music. Enjoy it not matter what the platform.

I know some will only listen to original mixes, mono and Lp but I never understood that. I can't figure out if it's a hipster thing or OCD.

To each their own though.

My whole collection is transferred to high quality mp3 on my ipod and I find the most satisfying and personal way of listening is to listen via ear buds. And I prefer the best possible mixes.

So much more to be heard and discovered listening with good ear buds.

I've really enjoyed the Dolly sony remasters and the Michael Nesmith remasters. I'd like to have physical deluxe editions but I'll take what I can get.

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Other way around. If you stream why bother with mp3s especially since they are either illegal or way more expensive.

Tim

8. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT that hit Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME on Friday (07/05/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Legacy Digital Vault: Highlights, a playlist by Legacy Recordings on Spotify

Miley Cyrus
    Malibu (The Remixes) (RCA, 2017 – Genre: Pop)
    Malibu (The Remixes)

When you’re Miley Cyrus, the most normal move you can make looks like a left turn. The “We Can’t Stop” and “Wrecking Ball” hitmaker was well known for systematically shedding her Hannah Montana image as wildly as possible. (Remember her collaboration with the Flaming Lips?) Then in 2017, she unveiled “Malibu,” a soft-rock earworm that echoed from Laurel Canyon all the way to the top of Billboard’s dance chart (as well as Top 10s around the world). It set the tone for her sixth album Younger Now and proved once again that, as she declared in 2010, Miley can’t be tamed. This EP collects a half dozen remixes of “Malibu” as done by Tiësto, Gigamesh, Dillon Francis and more.

Merv Griffin
    The Essential Merv Griffin – The Columbia Years (Columbia/Legacy, 2019 – Genre: Pop)
    The Essential Merv Griffin - The Columbia Years

Answer: Decades before this media mogul launched the still-popular game shows Jeopardy! and Wheel Of Fortune in the 1980s, he was a popular nightclub singer with hits like “I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts.”
    Question: Who is Merv Griffin? Find out more with this collection of 23 danceable pop sides released between 1953 and 1956. It’s a fine little companion to mark what would have been his birthday tomorrow, and features orchestral backing from Columbia’s heaviest hitters, including Percy Faith, Mitch Miller, Ray Conniff and more!

Joe Walsh
    Songs For a Dying Planet (Pyramid/Epic, 1992 – Genre: Rock)
    Songs for a Dying Planet

Keen to re-establish himself after the critical disappointment of 1991’s Ordinary Average Guy, former Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh reunited with longtime producer Bill Szymczyk on his tenth solo album after nearly a decade apart. Songs For a Dying Planet featured Walsh stalwarts Rick Rosas on bass and Joe Vitale on drums (as well as backing vocals from Survivor’s Jimi Jamison), and produced a Top 10 mainstream rock hit in the cheeky “Vote For Me.” Several years after this album was released, Walsh did the unthinkable and reunited with the Eagles for a blockbuster tour.

Jim Nabors
    Galveston (Columbia, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    Galveston

While he was cracking up TV watchers as the simple but sincere Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show and spin-off Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., Jim Nabors was exploring a stunning, different side of his career: music! It’s still hard to believe that Nabors was behind Pyle’s high-pitched, corn-fed drawl and the sonorous baritone that powered dozens of secular and sacred long-players for Columbia between 1965 and 1974, but hearing is believing. Galveston showcases Nabors’ pop side with winning versions of “Wichita Lineman,” “For Once In My Life,” “Little Green Apples” and “Green, Green Grass Of Home,” produced by Elvis Presley’s longtime musical director Joe Guercio.

The Richard Wolfe Children’s Chorus
    The Ballad Of Smokey The Bear and Other Favorite Animal Songs (RCA Camden, 1969 – Genre: Children’s)
    The Ballad of Smokey the Bear and Other Favorite Animal Songs

The Music From Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (RCA Camden, 1969 – Genre: Children’s)
    Music from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

A stalwart of RCA’s budget label Camden, The Richard Wolfe Children’s Chorus was on hand in the late ‘60s to deliver some musical fun on vinyl to the youngest of listeners. In 1969, the group issued a set of tunes for furry friends (“Here Comes Peter Cottontail,” “Mickey Mouse March,” “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” and the ‘50s hit “The Ballad Of Smokey The Bear,” which featured vocals from the beloved forest-fire prevention mascot) as well as a truly scrumptious collection of songs from the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as composed by Richard and Robert Sherman (who wrote the tunes for Disney’s hit Mary Poppins as well as several Disneyland favorites, from “It’s a Small World” to “There’s a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow”).

ALSO AVAILABLE TODAY AT DIGITAL SERVICE PROVIDERS!

Chu Berry
    The Columbia and Victor Sessions, Vol. 3 (Legacy, 2007 – Genre: Jazz)
    The Columbia And Victor Sessions, Vol. 3

David Houston
    David (Epic, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    David

Sid Ramin
    Stiletto: Selections From The Sound Track (Columbia Masterworks, 1969 – Genre: Soundtrack/Jazz)
    Stiletto

Boots Randolph
    Yakety Revisited (Monument, 1969 – Genre: Pop)
    Yakety Revisited

9. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

The back Decca catalog is not owned by Sony. And to be fair UMG has really been hitting the digital reissues hard lately. I think almost all of George Jones's back United Artists albums have been reissued. That includes the duet albums with Melba Montgomery. Brenda Lee's back Decca work has been reissued. Bobby Helms back Vocalion and Decca work is or has been reissued. A lot of this stuff, you just have to look every Friday, to see what's been reissued.

I will say, thanks to @Sydster for keeping us updated on the Sony stuff.

10. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME today (07/12/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Tyrese
    Nobody Else EP (RCA, 1998 – Genre: R&B)
    Nobody Else (R&B Mixes)

Before he became a double threat as an R&B singer and a box office draw (with star turns in both the Fast & Furious and Transformers franchises), Tyrese Gibson was a smooth soul provider who established his bona fides from the get-go with his-self titled platinum debut. That album’s first single, “Nobody Else,” comes back to streaming with four rare vintage remixes.

Queen Sarah Saturday
    Weave (Thirsty Ear, 1993 – Genre: Rock)
    Weave

Queen Sarah Saturday EP (Thirsty Ear, 1993 – Genre: Rock)
    Queen Sarah Saturday EP

Amid the early ‘90s grunge explosion, there was plenty of room for rock bands to bob and weave through the scene, creating underrated and unique bodies of work. Durham, North Carolina’s Queen Sarah Saturday excelled thanks to a tireless work ethic that involved constant rehearsal and live performances wherever they were welcomed. From this came an album and an EP on Sony’s alternative-leaning Thirsty Ear label. (You may have heard “Seems” in the 1995 cult classic Empire Records.) After the group dissolved, lead singer/guitarist Johnny Irion married musician Sarah Lee Guthrie (daughter of Arlo and granddaughter of Woody) and began collaborating with her as a folk-rock duo.

Larry Boone
    Get In Line (Columbia, 1993 – Genre: Country)
    Get In Line

A slick songwriter with deep roots in country—he counted American frontiersman Daniel Boone as a distant relative—Larry Boone put a handful of singles on the country charts in the mid-to-late ‘80s, including “Don’t Give Candy To a Stranger” and “I Just Called To Say Goodbye Again.” Get In Line was Boone’s fifth and final album, and featured a minor hit in its title track. After its release, Boone pursued songwriting full-time, penning tunes for George Strait, Lonestar and Shenandoah.

Sid Ramin
    Stiletto: Selections From The Sound Track (Columbia Masterworks, 1969 – Genre: Soundtrack/Jazz)
    Stiletto
    )
    Last week, this jazzy soundtrack from master composer/orchestrator Sid Ramin was finally released to digital services, and we spotlight it here in light of Ramin’s passing last week at the age of 100. Ramin had a myriad of career highlights, including orchestrations for West Side Story (both the Broadway smash and its 1961 film adaptation, which netted him an Oscar and a Grammy Award), Gypsy and A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. Ramin also wrote the catchy theme for comedy seriesCandid Camera and co-penned the hit standard “Music To Watch Girls By.” Stiletto, a 1969 adaptation of a Harold Robbins crime novel, is one of only two films Ramin scored outright, but its dramatic jazz approach makes you wish he had done more at the movies.

Mindy Carson
    Baby, Baby, Baby (Expanded Edition) (Columbia, 1958 – Genre: Jazz)
    Baby, Baby, Baby (Expanded Edition) [Audio Backfill]

C.I.A.
    In The Red (Combat, 1990 – Genre: Metal)
    In the Red

Jill Corey
    Sometimes I’m Happy, Sometimes I’m Blue (Expanded Edition) (Columbia, 1957 – Genre: Pop)
    Sometimes I'm Happy, Sometimes I'm Blue (Expanded Edition)

Gothic Slam
    Just a Face In The Crowd (Epic/Torrid, 1989 – Genre: Metal)
    Just a Face In the Crowd

Jamal
    Last Chance, No Breaks (Rowdy, 1995 – Genre: Hip-Hop)
    Last Chance, No Breaks

Jim Lauderdale
    Whisper (BNA, 1998 – Genre: Country)
    Whisper

11. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME Friday (07/19/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Teddy Pendergrass
    TP (Expanded Edition) (Philadelphia International Records, 1980 – Genre: R&B) +
    TP (Expanded Edition)

Teddy Pendergrass’ fourth solo album was also his fourth to be certified platinum by the RIAA, and one has only to hear the singles “Can’t We Try” and the immortal “Love T.K.O.,” both of which hit the top three of Billboard’s R&B charts, to understand why. Other highlights include two duets with Stephanie Mills (“Feel The Fire” and “Take Me In Your Arms Tonight”) and opener “Is It Still Good To Ya?” penned by the brilliant duo of Ashford & Simpson. TP gets more smoother and soulful thanks to this digitally expanded edition, featuring five bonus single edits and remixes.

Brandi Carlile
    Live From Neumo’s (Red Ink/Columbia, 2005 – Genre: Rock)
    Live from Neumo's

Brandi Carlile’s been recording for more than a decade, but 2019 seemed like an incredible breakthrough for her, thanks to last year’s By The Way, I Forgive You and its hit single “The Joke,” which received six Grammy nominations (more than any single female artist) and won three. With that in mind, we invite you back to the beginning of her career with this rare live EP recorded in Seattle, 30 miles from Brandi’s hometown. Recorded a few months before the release of her self-titled debut, only of the tracks was featured on that album; three of them (“Late Morning Lullaby,” “My Song,” “Hiding My Heart”) appeared on her 2007 sophomore effort The Story, while another (“The Clock”) can only be heard here.

Boogie Down Productions
    By All Means Necessary (Expanded Edition) (Jive, 1988 – Genre: Hip-Hop) +
    By All Means Necessary (Expanded Edition)

BDP’s debut album Criminal Minded was a key building block in the nascent gangsta rap movement, but things took a turn when founding member Scott La Rock was shot to death a year after the album’s release. La Rock’s death prompted groupmate KRS-One to write more critical and conscious lyrics about inner city violence, corruption and drugs; to this day, KRS remains one of hip-hop’s earliest and most outspoken elder activists. This thought-provoking album now features four bonus versions and mixes of the tracks “My Philosophy” and “I’m Still #1.”

George Jones
    Hallelujah Weekend (Epic, 1990 – Genre: Country/Gospel)
    Hallelujah Weekend

Plenty of country artists turn to divine inspiration throughout their careers, but George Jones’ foray into gospel carried a lot of weight. After all, it’s no secret that The Possum lived a difficult life, struggling with alcoholism through his highly influential career. Hallelujah Weekend, recorded with producer Billy Sherrill in 1979 but not released until after he ended his nearly 20-year association with Epic Records, finds Jones with a strong voice and strong convictions on tracks like “We Oughta Be Ashamed” (recorded the same year by Johnny Cash and Elvis Costello but not released until decades later), “Me and Jesus” and “(It’s The Bible Against The Bottle) The Battle For Daddy’s Soul.”

Vikki Carr
    Live At The Greek Theatre (Columbia, 1973 – Genre: Pop)
    Live At The Greek Theatre

Hoy (Today) (Columbia, 1975 – Genre: Pop)
    Hoy (Today)

Fate initially skipped Vikki Carr’s first bid for pop chart stardom: Phil Spector heard her recording “He’s a Rebel” in 1962 and rush released his own version (recorded by The Blossoms but credited to The Crystals) which topped the Billboard Hot 100 later that year. By 1968, her fortune had changed thanks to “It Must Be Him,” an adaptation of a French song that found its way toward the top of the charts around the world. That song is featured on Live At The Greek Theatre, a rare double live album of hers, along with covers of songs like “Lean on Me,” “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.” Carr, born Florencia Bisenta de Casillas-Martinez Cardona, didn’t hide her heritage on record, either: 1975’s Hoy featured nine moving ballads in Spanish alongside an adaptation of Barbra Streisand’s hit “The Way We Were” in the language.

Liz Anderson
    If The Creek Don’t Rise (RCA, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    If the Creek Don't Rise

Aviary
    Aviary (Epic/Park Lane Records, 1979 – Genre: Rock)
    Aviary

Funky Poets
    True To Life (550 Music, 1993 – Genre: Hip-Hop)
    True to Life

Jerry Goodman
    Ariel (Private Music, 1986 – Genre: Rock)
    Ariel

Joint Ventures
    Itz Da Joint (Profile, 1993 – Genre: Hip-Hop)
    Itz Da Joint

Stan Hitchcock
    Softly and Tenderly (Epic, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    Softly and Tenderly

Philamore Lincoln
    The North Wind Blew South (Epic, 1970 – Genre: Rock)
    The North Wind Blew South

Lucy’s Fur Coat
    Jaundice (Relativity, 1994 – Genre: Rock)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3pr2WHBL8C86i2A0RNUQm9?si=TZ1ZhlxLShyIqeniypFWUA

Judy Lynn
    Judy Lynn Sings At Caesars Palace (Columbia, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2ZiC6bVQcCvRkClxZb79HX?si=MSucjobASt-IeA3GpHZ75A

Charlie Singleton
    Man On a Mission (Epic, 1989 – Genre: R&B)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/65Bjv6a8lZVGeK04XBFzGR?si=nubIukVPT2KssWv5obblQw

Jeremy Toback
    Jeremy Toback EP (Cherrydisc, 1996 – Genre: Rock)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6EGadqNbRBhEpdc1kaqRFE?si=wujwJDw4TkGopIRsizpQFA

Two Bit Thief
    Another Sad Story…In The Big City (Combat, 1990 – Genre: Rock)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5Q3TdEGlNbNBqRkmSXp2Q6?si=aY1OpWjYTAux6rO9RGhoqg

12. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME today (07/26/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Dolly Parton
    In The Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad) (RCA Victor, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad)
    A unique entry in Dolly’s diamond discography, In The Good Old Days not only showcases her abilities as a songwriter (the reflective title track, “Mama, Say a Prayer”) but also offers her inimitable takes on some of country’s biggest female-fronted standards, like “D-I-V-O-R-C-E” (made famous by Tammy Wynette) and “Harper Valley PTA” (popularized by Jeannie C. Riley).

Buster Poindexter
    Buster Goes Berserk (RCA, 1989 – Genre: R&B)
    Buster Goes Berserk
    The most brazen artist reinvention of the ‘80s wasn’t Madonna—it was David Johansen. In 1987, the former frontman of seminal ‘70s glam-punk outfit the New York Dolls re-emerged as Buster Poindexter, a pompadoured, martini-swilling lounge lizard who scored an unlikely dance hit with the calypso cut “Hot Hot Hot.” With the backing of His Banshees of Blue (including keyboardist Charlie Giordano and vocalist/violinist Soozie Tyrell, both future touring members of The E Street Band), Buster was in fine form on his second album, delivering renditions of tunes like “Hit The Road Jack” and “Who Through The Whiskey In The Well” with all the wild-man energy you’d expect.

Boogie Down Productions
    Ghetto Music: The Blueprint Of Hip Hop (Expanded Edition) (Jive, 1989 – Genre: Hip-Hop) +
    Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip-Hop (Expanded Edition)
    Bolstered by the success of Boogie Down Productions’ By All Means Necessary, co-founder KRS-One continued that album’s conscious strain of hip-hop on BDP’s third release. It became the collective’s highest-charting album, reaching No. 7 on Billboard’s R&B chart, and was their third consecutive album to go gold. This expanded edition features remixes of the singles “Jack Of Spades” and “You Must Learn.”

George Jones
    Memories Of Us (Epic, 1975 – Genre: Country)
    Memories of Us
    Unfairly ignored by country audiences at the time, Memories Of Us is a surprisingly raw performance that fans of The Possum should not miss. George Jones was at a considerable crossroads when this album was issued: only one year after the back-to-back country chart-toppers “The Grand Tour” and “The Door,” his tumultuous marriage to Tammy Wynette had finally ended. Rather than put on a happy face, Jones embraced the darkness on the haunted title track, drinking songs like “Bring On The Clowns” and “She Should Belong To Me” (both co-written by Wynette) and the raw closing track “I Just Don’t Give a Damn.” If you want to hear country heartbreak, this is the rediscovery for you.

John Kay & The Sparrow
    John Kay & The Sparrow (Expanded Edition) (Columbia, 1969 – Genre: Rock)
    John Kay & The Sparrow (Expanded Edition)
    Formed in 1964 as an attempt to capture the British Invasion in the Great White North, The Sparrows made a big change a year later when they replaced frontman Jack London with singer/songwriter/guitarist John Kay and took on more blues-based influences. A pair of singles recorded for Columbia Records in 1966 failed to chart, but were re-released along with some choice outtake material when the group changed their name to Steppenwolf and defined the end of the decade with the Top 5 hits “Born To Be Wild” and “Magic Carpet Ride.”

The Mystics
    Crazy For You (Ambient Sound, 1982 – Genre: Pop)
    Crazy for You
    Still one of the most fascinating labels in the Sony Music catalog, Ambient Sound signed classic vocal groups of the ‘50s and ‘60s and contemporized them with modern production and covers of current chart fare. For The Mystics, a group that recorded the Top 20 hit “Hushabye” in 1959 and saw an astounding amount of talent pass through their ranks in the years that followed (including a completely unknown Paul Simon), their contemporary song was one of the strangest: “Doreen Is Never Boring,” an otherwise unrecorded song written by punk icon Joey Ramone. The album also featured re-recordings of several singles from the group’s pre-Mystics incarnation, The Overons, like “Prayer To An Angel,” “The Bells Are Ringing” and “Why Do You Pretend.”

Perfect Gentlemen
    Rated PG (Columbia, 1990 – Genre: R&B)
    Rated PG
    Producer Maurice Starr spent the ‘80s concocting vocal groups around his songwriting and production chops. Boston quintet New Edition moved on from him after one album (and the hit “Candy Girl”), leading him to recreate the formula with five white kids; New Kids On The Block became an even bigger success, notching nine Top 10 singles between 1988 and 1990. His next project, Perfect Gentlemen, was created as an opener for NKOTB. In 1990, the trio (Corey Blakely, Tyrone Sutton, and Maurice Starr, Jr.) had a Top 10 hit of their own with “Ooh, La La (I Can’t Get Over You),” which will fit in nicely with that N.E./NKOTB playlist you never knew you wanted to make.

Gloria Taylor
    Deep Inside You (Columbia, 1973 – Genre: R&B)
    Deep Inside You
    A deep cut from soul singer Gloria Taylor was recently heard on the finale of HBO’s hit drama Big Little Lies, and so we present “Deep Inside You” and its B-side “World That’s Not Real” on streaming services for the first time! This was Taylor’s sole release for Columbia; before that, she’d recorded for labels like Detroit’s King Soul and Shelby Singleton’s Silver Fox imprint. (It was there that she scored her biggest hit, the Top 10 R&B jam “You Got To Pay The Price.) By the end of the ‘70s, Taylor’s career had stalled, and she never recorded a full album—but soul cratediggers rediscovered her shortly before her passing in 2017.

Vikki Carr
    Ms. America (Columbia, 1973 – Genre: Pop)
    Ms. America
    One Hell Of a Woman (Columbia, 1974 – Genre: Pop)
    One Hell Of A Woman

Vic Damone
    Angela Mia (Columbia, 1958 – Genre: Pop)
    Angela Mia

The Jamies
    Epic Singles (Epic/Legacy, 2019 – Genre: Pop)
    Epic Singles

Tamiko Jones
    Love Trip (Arista, 1975 – Genre: R&B)
    Love Trip

Rose Royce
    Stronger Than Ever (Expanded Edition) (Epic, 1982 – Genre: R&B)
    Stronger Than Ever (Expanded Edition)

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin' Thread Starter

Do you guys have the rights to Bonnie Dobson's 1969 self-titled album and her Good Morning Rain one? They're both RCA I believe. She's still active and well known and those albums are OOP. I would easily purchase a high bit rate download of those two, especially if they were mastered well as most of your current releases have been.

If they're not on the short list, hows about putting in a good word for your old buddy AlmanacZinger? (And tell the video department to get the Starsky & Hutch series on blu-ray!)

whisper3978 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Happy to see Dolly's "In The Good Ole Days when times were bad" finally released!

15. AlmanacZinger

Is there a list of her download only albums somewhere (and where they can be got for 320 or over bit rate)?

16. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

connorman95 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

Have you tested the Dolly tracks on HDdownloads?

D-rock likes this.
  18. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I have not, but, I do have a few of the HD Sony releases and they sound great, to my ears...I'm also happy with the Amazon MP3s.

AlmanacZinger and D-rock like this.
  19. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME today (08/02/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Sara Bareilles
    Bottle It Up EP (Epic, 2008 – Genre: Pop)
    Bottle It Up EP
    Six months after “Love Song” became iTunes’ free single of the week and was featured prominently in an ad for digital music service Rhapsody, singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles found herself with a slow-burn Top 10 hit on her hands as 2008 began. The next single from debut album Little Voice found her ruminating on, as she told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, “the struggles of…how do you stay true to your art and figure out how to make a living from it.” Of course, Sara was just getting started, and has since racked up five consecutive Top 10 albums in America. This EP features a unique single mix of “Bottle It Up,” two non-LP B-sides and a live-in-studio rendition of “Love Song,” the tune that started it all.

Billy Paul
    War Of The Gods (Expanded Edition) (Philadelphia International Records, 1973 – Genre: R&B) +
    War of the Gods (Expanded Edition)
    Not content to play it safe after his chart-topping, satin soul classic “Me and Mrs. Jones,” Billy Paul’s fifth album featured lengthy, often psychedelic meditations on love and faith, drawing from funk, jazz and Latin influences. A notable outlier, at least length-wise: lead single “Thanks For Saving My Life,” arguably the most accessible moment on a nonetheless deeply rewarding album. (Paul called it the best he’d ever done in the years since.) Single edits of “War Of The Gods,” “I Was Married” and “The Whole Town’s Talking” complement the album on this new digital expansion.

Kerry Livgren
    Seeds Of Change (Expanded Edition) (Kirshner, 1980 – Genre: Rock)
    Seeds of Change (Expanded Edition)
    It’s hard to think of a more apt title for the solo debut by Kansas co-founder/multi-instrumentalist Kerry Livgren. He’d recently converted to Christianity, and much of the album’s lyrics deal with that newfound faith. No matter what you believe, if you’re a rock fan, you’ll love the incredible cast of musicians Livgren recruits for this album, including Kansas bandmates Steve Walsh, Phil Ehart and Robby Steinhardt; then-current Jethro Tull drummer Barriemore Barlow, and iconic metal singer Ronnie James Dio. This expanded version of Seeds Of Change features the album alongside a latter-day remix.

Big Audio Dynamite II
    Ally Pally Paradiso (Columbia, 1991 – Genre: Rock)
    Ally Pally Paradiso (Live)
    Mick Jones started off the ‘90s by shaking up his Big Audio Dynamite project, formed in the mid-‘80s after the demise of The Clash. Big Audio Dynamite II was a streamlined quartet featuring twin guitars from Jones and Nick Hawkins, Gary Stonadge on bass and former Sigue Sigue Sputnik drummer Chris Kavanagh while still meshing dance sensibilities and rock arrangements. This promo-only live LP, recorded during two European dates in 1990, captures the group’s continuous motion on tracks like “Situation No Win” (an evolved version of “Change Of Atmosphere” from BAD II’s first album Kool-Aid, later to be reworked in 1991 as modern-rock chart hit “Rush”) and a unique cover of Prince’s “1999.”

Art & Paul
    Songs Of Earth and Sky (Columbia, 1960 – Genre: Folk)
    Songs of Earth and Sky
    Hangin’, Drinkin’ and Stuff (Columbia, 1961 – Genre: Folk)
    Hangin', Drinkin' and Stuff
    What are the odds? Years before another Art and Paul (Simon & Garfunkel) became folk hitmakers for Columbia, Art Podell and Paul Potash emerged from the Greenwich Village folk scene as the folk genre was starting to take off. Their two albums for Columbia are lost classics of the genre, with stellar renditions of songs like “All The Pretty Little Horses” and “Pick a Bale O’ Cotton,” both popularized by folk revivalist Alan Lomax. Years later, both men joined another folk group on the roster: The New Christy Minstrels.

Monte Croft
    Survival Of The Spirit (Columbia, 1990 – Genre: Jazz)
    Survival of the Spirit

Lisa Hartman
    Lisa Hartman (Expanded Edition) (Kirshner, 1976 – Genre: Country) +
    Lisa Hartman (Expanded Edition)

George Jones
    Jones Country (Epic, 1983 – Genre: Country)
    Jones Country

Johnny Duncan
    Johnny One Time (Columbia, 1969 – Genre: Country)
    Johnny One Time

Shift
    The Get Rick Quick Scheme EP (Columbia, 1998 – Genre: Rock)
    The Get Rich Quick Scheme EP

Tammy Wynette
    Woman To Woman (Epic, 1974 – Genre: Country)
    Woman to Woman

JakeM, b.d., David*M and 2 others like this.
  20. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME on Friday 8/09/19 for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

https://open.spotify.com/user/legacyrecordings/playlist/140fXpvq0BOsTqHT7I30Yt

Roger Miller

The One and Only (RCA Camden, 1965 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1z6qUBVQvv6noKoyskVyJo?si=ncb5_bTwSXyyuGJtLK03YA

A recent Coors Light ad recently uncovered a “lost” tune by the legendary Roger Miller, and now it’s available for everyone to hear! This honky-tonk hero remains quite beloved for novelty tunes like “King Of The Road” (a No. 1 country hit and Top 5 pop single) and “Oo-De-Lally” (a favorite from the soundtrack to Disney’s animated Robin Hood in 1973). This material, recorded in the early ‘60s and released in part on various singles, predates his hit years, but it proves that Miller had found his unique voice as a singer-songwriter from the get-go. Other highlights include early single “If You Want Me To” and “Burma Shave,” a humorous ode to the infamous shaving cream brand and its distinctive rhyming billboards across America’s highways.

Billy Paul

360 Degrees Of Billy Paul (Expanded Edition) (Philadelphia International Records, 1972 – Genre: R&B) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/2t3e2RCx9fmVO7jmhrOm3a?si=63cL7QFtQ9Kh1vjBJuum5A

It’s much too strong to let it go now! Billy Paul finally broke through to the mainstream in 1972 after four albums with Philly producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. Listeners rightly know Paul’s biggest hit, the delectable pop and R&B chart-topper “Me and Mrs. Jones,” but dig deeper and you’ll find stellar funk-infused numbers like “Brown Baby” and “Am I Black Enough For You?” plus must-hear covers of Carole King (“It’s Too Late”), Al Green (“Let’s Stay Together”) and Elton John (“Your Song”). Bonus tracks include single edits of “Mrs. Jones” and “Am I Black…” plus a live rendition of “Mrs. Jones” recorded in London in 1973.

Chris Jasper

Superbad (Expanded Edition) (Gold City/CBS Associated, 1987 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6UoEF3z2Czt49imRbzuNSw?si=mD_bol1-QeqOH2JjDuRhDw

His last name doesn’t give it away, but Chris Jasper was a key member of The Isley Brothers for more than a decade. Jasper’s sister had married group co-founder Rudolph Isley, and Jasper himself attended college and gigged with younger brothers Marvin and Ernie; those three became official members on the seminal 3+3 in 1973. After that line-up disbanded in the ‘80s, Chris, Marvin and Ernie formed Isley-Jasper-Isley; when they disbanded, Jasper formed his own label and released Superbad, an album that showcased just what a vital member of both groups he was, writing, producing and arranging the entire album himself. The title track, a No. 1 R&B hit, and follow-up single “One Time Love” are featured here as bonus remix and instrumental versions.

Various Artists

Columbia Groovy Songbirds (Columbia/Legacy, 2018 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1jbwEY4G4vjv1lZIZ6P2fE?si=VtCc-vckSBu_UUI7H5ttaA

Big names and bigger voices come together on this exciting collection of lesser-known singles sung by Columbia’s female performers during the ‘60s. From well-known voices like Doris Day (“Rainbow’s End”), Bernadette Peters (“You’re Taking Me For Granted”) and Patti Page (“Til You Come Back To Me”) to obscurer artists like LeGrand Mellon (“Growin’ On My Own”) and Susan Christie (whose folky oddity “I Love Onions” has to be heard to be believed), these songbirds will put a melody or two in your ear.

George Jones

You’ve Still Got a Place In My Heart (Epic, 1984 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5vMWDXccM4t8PYXSEVpPL8?si=QG7e_GNoRQu3DHvVAlWMbQ

George Jones started the ‘80s on an upswing with the immortal “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” ending a six-year streak without a No. 1 country hit. By the time You’ve Still Got a Place In My Heart was released, he’d scored two more chart-toppers (“Still Doin’ Time,” “I Always Get Lucky With You”) and another five Top 10s on that chart. But this album celebrated another major achievement in The Possum’s life: sobriety. With his new wife and manager, Nancy Sepulvado, by his side, Jones started performing regularly without a drink and recorded this stand-out album, featuring another Top 10 hit in the Leon Payne-penned title track and two revisited versions of songs he’d previously recorded: his original “I’m Ragged But I’m Right” and “Come Sundown,” written by Kris Kristofferson.

G. Love & Special Sauce

Kiss and Tell EP (OKeh, 1995 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5SChhcpq0Q2iJGAk9fkt4V?si=b573H5U_QJKQDnKwvJ2-Xw

G.Q.

Two (Expanded Edition) (Arista, 1980 – Genre: R&B) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/4BFwQ2eRqnHJmVo3l0oCeC?si=gKL_UzJxSRi7KG6_bBVFOg

Tammy Graham

Tammy Graham (Career/Arista, 1996 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6aaCqFHBnceLhBZbDwzNph?si=6VYzhQz-Swu553aVFgfcrQ

Charlie Singleton & Modern Man

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained (Expanded Edition) (Epic, 1987 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/08GefiviiabSEjvLASGKGe?si=cpJxVi0gRTihznhFLJ5EfA

HAVE A LISTEN TO THESE RECENTLY RELEASED VAULT CLASSICS TOO!

Billy Paul

War Of The Gods (Expanded Edition) (Philadelphia International Records, 1973 – Genre: R&B) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/6lH7Q6vBZa7ZlKraexxVLf?si=cISe1JNST86nOqHK4yRKFA

Not content to play it safe after his chart-topping, satin soul classic “Me and Mrs. Jones,” Billy Paul’s fifth album featured lengthy, often psychedelic meditations on love and faith, drawing from funk, jazz and Latin influences. A notable outlier, at least length-wise: lead single “Thanks For Saving My Life,” arguably the most accessible moment on a nonetheless deeply rewarding album. (Paul called it the best he’d ever done in the years since.) Single edits of “War Of The Gods,” “I Was Married” and “The Whole Town’s Talking” complement the album on this new digital expansion.

Kerry Livgren

Seeds Of Change (Expanded Edition) (Kirshner, 1980 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4vXXbFsGLFpi2i7s2OX3rz?si=EcJhVCriQSOaD7RWBt3QPg

It’s hard to think of a more apt title for the solo debut by Kansas co-founder/multi-instrumentalist Kerry Livgren. He’d recently converted to Christianity, and much of the album’s lyrics deal with that newfound faith. No matter what you believe, if you’re a rock fan, you’ll love the incredible cast of musicians Livgren recruits for this album, including Kansas bandmates Steve Walsh, Phil Ehart and Robby Steinhardt; then-current Jethro Tull drummer Barriemore Barlow, and iconic metal singer Ronnie James Dio. This expanded version of Seeds Of Change features the album alongside a latter-day remix.

Big Audio Dynamite II

Ally Pally Paradiso (Columbia, 1991 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3NQAWzpU7KdBUdeBHX8eCj?si=fAdpNON_S2Cqgk13OZt55w

Mick Jones started off the ‘90s by shaking up his Big Audio Dynamite project, formed in the mid-‘80s after the demise of The Clash. Big Audio Dynamite II was a streamlined quartet featuring twin guitars from Jones and Nick Hawkins, Gary Stonadge on bass and former Sigue Sigue Sputnik drummer Chris Kavanagh while still meshing dance sensibilities and rock arrangements. This promo-only live LP, recorded during two European dates in 1990, captures the group’s continuous motion on tracks like “Situation No Win” (an evolved version of “Change Of Atmosphere” from BAD II’s first album Kool-Aid, later to be reworked in 1991 as modern-rock chart hit “Rush”) and a unique cover of Prince’s “1999.”

Art & Paul

Songs Of Earth and Sky (Columbia, 1960 – Genre: Folk)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3jPLvoomODXZIR3ump6JDE?si=TdjVRz8lRMCfb0nhCSelGw

Hangin’, Drinkin’ and Stuff (Columbia, 1961 – Genre: Folk)

https://open.spotify.com/album/24Tc48ipaBSFMd9mRDEVxv?si=8wWh9jDGR0i_fjGC_R57uw

What are the odds? Years before another Art and Paul (Simon & Garfunkel) became folk hitmakers for Columbia, Art Podell and Paul Potash emerged from the Greenwich Village folk scene as the folk genre was starting to take off. Their two albums for Columbia are lost classics of the genre, with stellar renditions of songs like “All The Pretty Little Horses” and “Pick a Bale O’ Cotton,” both popularized by folk revivalist Alan Lomax. Years later, both men joined another folk group on the roster: The New Christy Minstrels.

Monte Croft

Survival Of The Spirit (Columbia, 1990 – Genre: Jazz)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6BDSTzMvAXzb2bn2OVXVvM?si=Ps846uKdRHaJoj0EvV5cuQ

Lisa Hartman

Lisa Hartman (Expanded Edition) (Kirshner, 1976 – Genre: Country) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/7bB5K2kkc41r9q5hYYXzBR?si=XclSTf6cSzmbPzNDalXNfQ

George Jones

Jones Country (Epic, 1983 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4R8ebkTJxKk5eFnfFBMZ1k?si=DbnL5CNYQ12SXD_Dc-2s9w

Johnny Duncan

Johnny One Time (Columbia, 1969 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1fz63s2kZSeR6CffE5lqOj?si=GuVqacPjSDSUr1oPciorGg

Shift

The Get Rick Quick Scheme EP (Columbia, 1998 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6kmu1seA56p8I3TMd1sVpP?si=_g8c2Tr7R_Wu0EfwflO3yA

Tammy Wynette

Woman To Woman (Epic, 1974 – Genre: Country)

Woman to Woman

21. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME today (08/16/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report, and here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Johnny Mathis

I Love My Lady (Columbia, rec. 1981/rel. 2017 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Y21CVaS4Be1B4wavY5qKi?si=YaUNT7fLSq6AHJMOxTOgBQ

The Island (Columbia, rec. 1989/rel. 2017 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5ZN6dX2dJssOSNboQ6I4uz?si=WUYmD-kUS8e0Ltjv1BNE1g

Odds & Ends: That’s What Makes The Music Play (Columbia/Legacy, 2017 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3XzSVfbv7jU8goxbjPIiae?si=r2eBQb6bRaeD4dlzc7odkA

Get ready for some fabulous rarities from The Voice of Romance! Two long-unheard Johnny Mathis albums are now available to stream and download: I Love My Lady, his legendary “lost” collaboration with Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, the brain trust behind disco legends CHIC; and The Island, a lovely Brazilian-themed session with producer Sérgio Mendes. Rounding out the pack is a collection of rare and unreleased tracks from 2017’s box set The Voice OfRomance, which gathered some 65 albums the legendary crooner issued on Columbia Records between 1956 and 2017!

Louis Armstrong & His All Stars

The Complete Newport 1956 & 1958 Recordings (Columbia/Legacy, 2014)

https://open.spotify.com/album/13K5VGj7OSYgEk0iFxZl90?si=5EmdPwI5ToOEazR5cJ0pAQ

Indisputably one of the most important musicians of the 20th century, Louis Armstrong’s two late-career appearances at the Newport Jazz Festival were underrated at the time thanks to their incomplete presentations and mild distortion present on the tapes that captured the performances. These fully restored sets showcase what a formidable presence Armstrong and his backing band was even as jazz moved from the traditions he established toward art by players like Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane.

Gladys Knight & The Pips

Pipe Dreams (Original Soundtrack) (Buddah, 1976 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0vnblGUkZJ7Lp7S827r1Ho?si=jfzwvRb-R8ydvfmpdNDEsw

In 1976, Gladys Knight made her acting debut in Pipe Dreams, a romantic comedy co-starring her real-life then-husband, Blackground Records founder and former Aaliyah manager Barry Hankerson. Naturally, she and The Pips contributed nine original songs for the soundtrack album, making it perhaps the least-known entry in Knight’s Buddah Records discography. Now, it’s digitally available, so you can discover tracks like the Michael Masser-produced “So Sad TheSong,” a Golden Globe nominee for Best Original Song, and “Nobody But You,” penned by legendary songwriting duo Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil.

Hampton and The Hampsters

Happy Times Ten (Kunduru Music/Sony Wonder, 2002 – Genre: Children’s)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Za8TjqGlFsmTzO0EW3ttD?si=FMjfXb9gQ2S8fGTG8XdlFA

In the early days of the Internet, when ideas roamed free, the Pets.com sock puppet was a known commodity and social media was a pipe dream, the Hampster Dance was as popular a meme as “30-50 feral hogs” was just last week. This quirky page of dancing cartoon hamster GIFs, backed by a high-speed sample of Roger Miller’s “Whistle Stop” (from the Disney version of Robin Hood) became a phenomenon throughout 1999, and a fully-produced single (“TheHampsterdance Song,” credited to Hampton and The Hampsters), became a worldwide hit, topping Canada’s chart and reaching the Top 5 of Australia’s pop chart as well as Billboard’s dance chart. Happy Times Ten is in fact Hampton and The Hampsters’ second album, featuring 10 high-energy original kids’ songs and, naturally, a new mix of “Hampsterdance.”

Clive Griffin

Clive Griffin (550 Music/Epic, 1993 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0RvuKuxGlbBgXWECCHdw5F?si=UWqJHEoQSseYWyZstekMpA

This British crooner’s third album came hot off the success of his biggest chart success: a cover of the romantic standard “When I Fall In Love,” sung as a ballad for the hit film Sleepless In Seattle with fellow 550 Music artist and powerhouse balladeer Celine Dion. While Griffin’s career never took off quite like Celine’s, there’s more than a little DNA between the soulful pop both were putting out at the same time. Griffin’s self-titled effort even has three showstoppers (“CommitmentOf The Heart,” a minor adult contemporary hit, “I Count The Minutes” and “We Don’t Know How To Say Goodbye”) penned by songwriter Diane Warren, who wrote Dion’s chart-topper “Because You Loved Me.”

Tommy Dorsey Orchestra

Music From The Broadway Hit “Hello, Dolly!” (RCA, 1964 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4HVPC8DBPtcFuNQXdsMj2n?si=odl--1twSZqtQncoY3cqDA

Hoodratz

Sneke Muthafukaz (Epic, 1993 – Genre: Hip-Hop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Rurx94uqErwBjWN1Ql5D0?si=0nmecoaDQp-iXxIjCYI2Cw

Lena Horne

At The Sands (RCA Victor, 1961 – Genre: Jazz)

https://open.spotify.com/album/7sErm0ArZc66sU2Ix3vgVj?si=bcAEEJxnSCiH5DG79tmmzw

Pete Jolly

Jolly Jumps In (RCA Victor, 1956 – Genre: Jazz)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3U1VGwQZGa00tQXQND1NKw?si=teM_ADL0TpSHTDSJ9qcViw

Percy Faith and Mitch Miller

It’s So Peaceful In The Country (Columbia, 1956 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/65UYgUD8XKn0kouaRjDBeI?si=cbnL2ChYRkm5nKGohuUKKg

Tammy Wynette

One Of a Kind (Epic, 1977 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6YxEc21yd6g7JF65a7EC9w?si=rRW0WYEcQuCY6QaS7uxDbQ

Even The Strong Get Lonely (Epic, 1983 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6wWqgDRs7c0RbdxCwB2FRu?si=L4RGIGsIRGOgoohqYEHrng

HAVE A LISTEN TO THESE RECENTLY RELEASED VAULT CLASSICS TOO!

Roger Miller

The One and Only (RCA Camden, 1965 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1z6qUBVQvv6noKoyskVyJo?si=ncb5_bTwSXyyuGJtLK03YA

A recent Coors Light ad recently uncovered a “lost” tune by the legendary Roger Miller, and now it’s available for everyone to hear! This honky-tonk hero remains quite beloved for novelty tunes like “King Of The Road” (a No. 1 country hit and Top 5 pop single) and “Oo-De-Lally” (a favorite from the soundtrack to Disney’s animated Robin Hood in 1973). This material, recorded in the early ‘60s and released in part on various singles, predates his hit years, but it proves that Miller had found his unique voice as a singer-songwriter from the get-go. Other highlights include early single “If You Want Me To” and “Burma Shave,” a humorous ode to the infamous shaving cream brand and its distinctive rhyming billboards across America’s highways.

Billy Paul

360 Degrees Of Billy Paul (Expanded Edition) (Philadelphia International Records, 1972 – Genre: R&B) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/2t3e2RCx9fmVO7jmhrOm3a?si=63cL7QFtQ9Kh1vjBJuum5A

It’s much too strong to let it go now! Billy Paul finally broke through to the mainstream in 1972 after four albums with Philly producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. Listeners rightly know Paul’s biggest hit, the delectable pop and R&B chart-topper “Me and Mrs. Jones,” but dig deeper and you’ll find stellar funk-infused numbers like “Brown Baby” and “Am I Black Enough For You?” plus must-hear covers of Carole King (“It’s Too Late”), Al Green (“Let’s Stay Together”) and Elton John (“Your Song”). Bonus tracks include single edits of “Mrs. Jones” and “Am I Black…” plus a live rendition of “Mrs. Jones” recorded in London in 1973.

Chris Jasper

Superbad (Expanded Edition) (Gold City/CBS Associated, 1987 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6UoEF3z2Czt49imRbzuNSw?si=mD_bol1-QeqOH2JjDuRhDw

His last name doesn’t give it away, but Chris Jasper was a key member of The Isley Brothers for more than a decade. Jasper’s sister had married group co-founder Rudolph Isley, and Jasper himself attended college and gigged with younger brothers Marvin and Ernie; those three became official members on the seminal 3+3 in 1973. After that line-up disbanded in the ‘80s, Chris, Marvin and Ernie formed Isley-Jasper-Isley; when they disbanded, Jasper formed his own label and released Superbad, an album that showcased just what a vital member of both groups he was, writing, producing and arranging the entire album himself. The title track, a No. 1 R&B hit, and follow-up single “One Time Love” are featured here as bonus remix and instrumental versions.

Various Artists

Columbia Groovy Songbirds (Columbia/Legacy, 2018 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1jbwEY4G4vjv1lZIZ6P2fE?si=VtCc-vckSBu_UUI7H5ttaA

Big names and bigger voices come together on this exciting collection of lesser-known singles sung by Columbia’s female performers during the ‘60s. From well-known voices like Doris Day (“Rainbow’s End”), Bernadette Peters (“You’re Taking Me For Granted”) and Patti Page (“Til You Come Back To Me”) to obscurer artists like LeGrand Mellon (“Growin’ On My Own”) and Susan Christie (whose folky oddity “I Love Onions” has to be heard to be believed), these songbirds will put a melody or two in your ear.

George Jones

You’ve Still Got a Place In My Heart (Epic, 1984 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5vMWDXccM4t8PYXSEVpPL8?si=QG7e_GNoRQu3DHvVAlWMbQ

George Jones started the ‘80s on an upswing with the immortal “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” ending a six-year streak without a No. 1 country hit. By the time You’ve Still Got a Place In My Heart was released, he’d scored two more chart-toppers (“Still Doin’ Time,” “I Always Get Lucky With You”) and another five Top 10s on that chart. But this album celebrated another major achievement in The Possum’s life: sobriety. With his new wife and manager, Nancy Sepulvado, by his side, Jones started performing regularly without a drink and recorded this stand-out album, featuring another Top 10 hit in the Leon Payne-penned title track and two revisited versions of songs he’d previously recorded: his original “I’m Ragged But I’m Right” and “Come Sundown,” written by Kris Kristofferson.

G. Love & Special Sauce

Kiss and Tell EP (OKeh, 1995 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5SChhcpq0Q2iJGAk9fkt4V?si=b573H5U_QJKQDnKwvJ2-Xw

G.Q.

Two (Expanded Edition) (Arista, 1980 – Genre: R&B) +

https://open.spotify.com/album/4BFwQ2eRqnHJmVo3l0oCeC?si=gKL_UzJxSRi7KG6_bBVFOg

Tammy Graham

Tammy Graham (Career/Arista, 1996 – Genre: Country)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6aaCqFHBnceLhBZbDwzNph?si=6VYzhQz-Swu553aVFgfcrQ

Charlie Singleton & Modern Man

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained (Expanded Edition) (Epic, 1987 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/08GefiviiabSEjvLASGKGe?si=cpJxVi0gRTihznhFLJ5EfA

arob71 and Vintage1976 like this.
  22. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

BIG STUFF TODAY!!!

Good morning Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT hitting Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME today (08/23/19) for streaming and download if you’d like some digital ‘tune news’ to read and/or report.

JEFF BUCKLEY – 25 YEARS OF GRACE

Exactly 25 years ago today, Columbia Records issued Grace, the sole studio album by Jeff Buckley. In his brief career, tragically cut short by his accidental drowning at the age of 30, Buckley redefined the tropes of a singer-songwriter, using his multi-octave voice and blistering guitar skill to craft intense original tunes (“Last Goodbye,” “Lover, You Should Have Come Over,” “Grace”) and transform a variety of pop, blues and jazz styles. It was Buckley’s take on Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” that inspired generation after generation to discover the song; and his version topped iTunes’ and Billboard’s digital sales charts a decade after his passing.

Today, Legacy Recordings honors Buckley’s life and career with an unreleased demo (“Sky Blue Skin”), four live sets available to stream and download for the first time, and six re-delivered and/or expanded editions of previously released entries in his discography. The time to re-enter the world of Jeff Buckley is now.

Newly delivered to streaming/download partners

Live At Wetlands, New York, NY August 16, 1994 (Columbia/Legacy, 2019)

https://open.spotify.com/album/2OKI7fQsQ87MwWfOHMMw18?si=0WQb7XwUTcC7MjlXGMO9kg

Jeff was a fixture of the New York City club scene, and this show at the Wetlands Preserve, an environmentally-conscious performance space located in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan, captures the building momentum behind the singer-songwriter exactly one week before Grace was released. This newly-available set is bookended by two fascinating versions of “Mojo Pin”: the fan-favorite “Chocolate Version” (released on the Last Goodbye EP in 1995) and an engaging run-through recorded during a soundcheck for the set.

Live From Seattle, WA, May 7, 1995 (Columbia/Legacy, 2009)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1O5Qy3cNFSMkI8ZyuGrDP8?si=H1DOXIBmRUK_8AgZX6EFOw

First made available only through a fan bundle of the live collection Grace Around The World in 2009, this show at the King Cat Theatre in Seattle features your favorite songs from Grace(“Last Goodbye,” “Lover, You Should Have Come Over,” “Lilac Wine”), plus unique versions of “That’s All I Ask” (made popular by Nina Simone) and “The Man That Got Away” (as performed by Judy Garland in the 1954 film version of A Star Is Born).

Cabaret Metro, Chicago, IL, May 13, 1995 (Columbia/Legacy, 2019)

https://open.spotify.com/album/2gPaEcurUaSDWFMtrXJr2u?si=4VuiST6CQny_e5wLJSHAKQ

Recorded in the midst of Jeff’s “Mystery White Boy” Tour and released on video and DVD in 2000, this electric set brings together performances of songs from Grace, classic covers of The MC5 (“Kick Out The Jams”) and Big Star (“Kanga Roo”), plus the rare originals “What Will You Say” and an instrumental version of “Vancouver.”

Live At Columbia Records Radio Hour (Columbia/Legacy, 2019)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Wb5EnzRNBS10Iu7cO0WG8?si=n-T87rTISuypvyhdetBZlA

This special full-band show, released for the first time anywhere, was recorded June 4, 1995 at Sony Music Studios in New York City for the celebrated Columbia Records Radio Hourprogram. Here, Jeff performs eight songs from Grace plus covers of The MC5’s “Kick Out The Jams” (first heard on the Legacy Edition of Grace in 2004) and The Smiths’ “I Know It’s Over.”

Newly re-delivered/expanded to streaming/download partners

Grace (Legacy Edition) (Columbia, 1994 – reissued 2004)

https://open.spotify.com/album/283hKbicgg933wSdd24U2s?si=ocYbOW8PQ1i2jL6cmqXJrQ

Jeff’s debut album was reissued for its 10th anniversary in 2004 with 12 rare and unreleased tracks, including the studio outtake “Forget Her.” It now features a 13th bonus track: a rehearsal version of “Strawberry Street,” co-written by Buckley.

Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk (Expanded Edition) (Columbia, 1998)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5HDvIlBDfoHiugEXmYULng?si=wq5yGFRqRzeGSJFCNIS1bw

Jeff recorded material for his second album through 1996 and 1997 with producer Tom Verlaine of Television. This double album, released a year after his passing, now includes 22 tracks from these sessions, including “The Sky Is a Landfill,” “Everybody Here Wants You” and the rarely-heard tracks “Gunshot Glitter” and “Thousand Fold.”

Mystery White Boy (Expanded Edition) (Columbia, 2000)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3YgO4QtAq89bLSFlDaKRUp?si=nc3tEYNoSYCVsrLlJTVA4w

Recorded live in 1995 and 1996 in North America, Europe and Australia, Mystery White Boy was the first full-length live album of Buckley’s material. It now includes a version of “That’s All I Ask” first released on the Australian edition of the album.

So Real: Songs From Jeff Buckley (Expanded Edition) (Columbia/Legacy, 2007)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0C2nZD9Z2ZNPS4Q7C9VGg6?si=zaVH1rRzRpehIq2EJURkBQ

A one-stop overview of Jeff’s career, including singles from Grace, material from Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk and Live At Sin-é and other rarities, like a promo-only acoustic rendition of “So Real.” It’s now rounded out by live takes on “Lilac Wine” and “Lover, You Should Have Come Over.”

Hallelujah EP (Columbia/Legacy, 2007)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Luey0clfDfPZTJwFIoVMp?si=kwKaFt7iSYi8_iVaIsxsPw

By the time it was released as a single a decade after Jeff’s passing, “Hallelujah” had earned its place as one of the great recordings of its era; in 2004, it placed on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, and was named one of the 10 greatest tracks by a poll of 50 songwriters for Q. (John Legend called it “as near perfect as you can get.”) This new EP features rare radio edits of “Hallelujah” and Grace track “Forget Her” plus a stunning live-in-studio version of “Hallelujah” issued in 2007.

You and I (Expanded Edition) (Columbia/Legacy, 2016)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4pmq7Cvj5fkPcspI8FaqPm?si=dtpx0CtQT1G5s6CHwaWJmg

A fascinating glimpse into the earliest phase of Jeff Buckley’s career with Columbia Records: his first session at Shelter Island Studios with engineer Steve Addabbo. Backed only by his guitar, Jeff gets a feel for the space with a lively mix of his own works (“Grace,” “Dream Of You and I”) and anything-goes covers (Bob Dylan’s “Just Like a Woman,” Sly & The Family Stone’s “Everyday People,” The Smiths’ “The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’ and “I Know It’s Over”). This new edition of the album now includes seven additional tracks from that session (including some of his earliest versions of “Hallelujah,” “Mojo Pin” and “Unforgiven a.k.a. Last Goodbye”), released on vinyl for Record Store Day in 2019 as In Transition.

Funkdoobiest

The Troubleshooters (Buzz Tone/RCA, 1997 – Genre: Hip-Hop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4OkVzPEEERxOZjljXnVXFK?si=Eu7AIhmfSfqtqCzNNQJzEQ

Kool Keith

Black Elvis/Lost In Space (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1999 – Genre: Hip-Hop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Fqis6PUQLk7bcn7wkpn2R?si=M_invybsTxyEWchDLwlP7g

Living Voices

The Impossible Dream (RCA Camden, 1969 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/45YSwVprmEBlZKl00a9VIm?si=SNt_lpP3RV24mZ5yNntibQ

Various Artists

RCA Groovy Songbirds (RCA/Legacy, 2019 – Genre: Pop)

RCA Groovy Songbirds

23. The Kool Keith and Funkdoobiest are nice underground selections from '90s Rap.

jfeldt, AlmanacZinger and fatwad666 like this.
  24. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

That "American Sound 1969" digital boxset for Elvis is nice. I'm sure quite a bit of it was already released on FTD, but, I don't have it. Being able to listen to multiple false starts, studio chatter, etc is always cool. Hearing Elvis work through "In the Ghetto" is great.

Sebastian likes this.
  25. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Hello there Ladies & Gentlemen! Here are the vintage SME back catalog titles from the LEGACY VAULT available at Digital Service Providers for the VERY FIRST TIME this past Friday (08/30/19) for streaming and download--please pardon the delay in posting.

As usual, here are some key selections from recent LEGACY VAULT releases in a Spotify Playlist to follow and listen as you browse (updates and additions made every week) – hit shuffle and see where you land:

Various Artists

Dirty Dancing – Live In Concert (RCA, 1989 – Genre: Pop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/70B4NcPOzJh2KIXy0KuNtP?si=L5uU3UFfT86K_4WyuX03mA

It’s safe to say fans of the romantic blockbuster Dirty Dancing were having the time of their lives at the record store throughout the late ‘80s. The original soundtrack topped the charts for 18 weeks in 1987-88, and a sequel album reached the Top 5 the following year. In 1989, Vestron Pictures put out a third album, featuring a live tour date from four of the soundtrack’s stars: Merry Clayton (“Yes”), Eric Carmen (“Hungry Eyes,” plus additional hits “Make Me Lose Control” and “Almost Paradise,” the ballad he co-wrote for Footloose), The Contours (“Do You Love Me” plus covers of soul standards like “Cry To Me” and “Higher and Higher”) and Bill Medley (who delivers The Righteous Brothers’ signature “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” as well as the Oscar-winning “(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life”). If you can’t get enough of Baby and Johnny, you’d better not put this album in the corner.

RUN DMC

Down With The King EP (Profile, 1993 – Genre: Hip-Hop)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0AijtG3NtSLT5193WvVwPY?si=A1LCPD06Roe9BbrZcdKcmw

Just as grunge knocked pop and rock acts for a loop in the early ‘90s, the evolution of hip-hop in all its forms, from the conscious Daisy Age to the hard-edged gangsta movement, left some well-established rappers unsure of where exactly to step next. Such was the case for RUN DMC, the first hip-hop act to earn gold and platinum records but reeling from the commercial failure of their first album of the decade, 1990’s Back From Hell. So they changed their style: gone were the distinctive black hats and white Adidas, replaced with shaven heads and black Timberland boots. And a host of guests appeared on 1993 follow-up Down With The King, including Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, who guested on the album’s title track. “Down With The King” became the group’s first Top 40 pop hit since 1986 and topped Billboard’s four-year-old rap singles chart, too. Five rare remixes of the tracks, plus a cappella versions of “Simmons Incorporated” and “It’s Over,” are now available to stream and download

Eve’s Plum

I Want It All Alive EP (550 Music/Epic, 1994 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3Kb6GpKTOYJi9j4G44Vnly?si=T2094v6dQ_OqfCOCi06gfA

You might not know Colleen Fitzpatrick’s name, but a few generations of pop culture consumers have probably come into contact with her work. Teens in the ‘80s might’ve caught her in John Water’s cult hit Hairspray (later a blockbuster Broadway musical) as Amber Von Tussle, the snobby rival of Ricki Lake’s heroic Tracy Turnblad; in the late ‘90s, she rebranded herself as pop star Vitamin C, a name recognizable enough to have her sole hit, “Graduation (Friends Forever)” stuck in your head for the next hour. Between those turns, she fronted alt-rock combo Eve’s Plum with guitarist/NYU classmate/future husband Michael Kotch and his twin brother Benjamin on drums. Punky power-pop cut “I Want It All” was the group’s biggest hit on Billboard’s modern rock chart; this promo-only EP features four live tracks recorded in Chicago, including “I Want It All,” first single “Blue” and a cover of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.”

Altitude

Private Parts (RCA, 1991 – Genre: R&B)

https://open.spotify.com/album/7MSJ6lCeX0RfBm2UWJC9f3?si=6h93zzzcQnWaCXuMvAIiyQ

If Expose had eschewed Hi-NRG pop selections in favor of clanging New Jack Swing joints, they’d probably sound something like Altitude. This female trio squeaked out one Top 40 hit with the sultry “Work It (Like a) 9 To 5,” but greater fame turned out to be fleeting. Still, the dream of the ‘90s is very much alive in these tracks, including Mariah-esque ballad “If You Believe” and the danceable “Silly.”

Old Pike

Ten Thousand Nights (550 Music, 1999 – Genre: Rock)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3cQ0aLIiAvcBVYw17myCiT?si=91RtnUpCQNiZqgphYGY_Jg

Powered by heartland vibes that recalled Bruce Springsteen or fellow Indianan John Mellencamp as well as contemporaries like The Wallflowers and Matchbox Twenty, Old Pike garnered buzz at CMJ and South by Southwest showcases and toured alongside notable rock groups like Soul Asylum and Ben Folds Five. Ten Thousand Nights, their second and final album, was a sturdy release anchored by solid, affecting tracks like “I Never Should Have Left” and “The Rest Of You.”

PhantomStranger likes this.