Current YES tour (Steve Howe & Company)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rufus t firefly, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's not a great cover, but it fit with the aesthetic of the time (and seems to fit the sound of the album, IMO). Talk just doesn't really seem to correlate with either.

2. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

My favourite Yes cover. Looks great in Vinyl.

3. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I am 99% sure Dean only does Steve Howe stuff....solo, ABWH, asia, union, drama etc.

Aggie87 likes this.
  4. walrus

He's done covers for Rick Wakeman as well. I don't see him doing work for ARW at this point, but I don't think there was anything keeping him from working with Yes in 1994. But with a new label and the 80's lineup, I totally understand why they wanted to go in a different visual direction for Talk. The question is...why that direction? :laugh:

5. Sadcafe

The talk cover follows on from the previous two in that graphic design had shifted/evolved from computer generated to computer enhanced. The cover reflects this. It is more human. I love it.

bobloblaw and warewolf95 like this.
  6. walrus

It's just a bad Yes logo on white. I don't think it really reflects much of anything, other than perhaps a lack of agreement/cohesion between the band members on what the visual direction should've been. I think a lot of simplistic album covers have not been by design, but been more down to no one being able to agree on any other options.

7. Sadcafe

Sometimes less is more. Better than the clunky Fragile cover or the art student Yes album covers. As for tormato !!!
    It is not a bad cover (you may not like it... does not make it bad).

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. walrus

I've never heard Roger Dean's 70's covers referred to as "clunky," but to each their own.

I liked Yes' 80's artwork, particularly the 90125 cover and the related artwork they used for singles, 9012Live, etc, it fit the sound of the band and the style of the times really well, and it's just as much a part of their overall legacy as the Roger Dean stuff. But Talk is just bad. Which is a bummer, because it's one of my favorite albums they ever did, and it really deserves more credit. But that cover doesn't help any.

DiabloG and 24voltsdc like this.
  9. Sadcafe

I think we can both agree on the quality of Talk as an album. I love it. I never liked the covers for 90125 or big gen (also an under rated album). I just dont get your point about the covers not reflecting the music. My 12 inch vinyl album looks stunning. It is one of the few covers designed for CD that is better scaled up for vinyl IMHO. each to their own i guess.

10. walrus

I have it on vinyl too, and it's even worse blown up to that size. It's just an ugly, ugly logo that is somehow out of place with every other release ever put out out by the band.

11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The thing that kept him from working with Yes in 1994 was his relationship with Steve Howe. That's the biggest link he has to Yes. No Howe in 1994 Yes, no Dean artwork or logo.

While he may have done covers for Wakeman, that was prior to the rift that's developed between Howe and Anderson/Wakeman. I doubt he'll allow his logo on an ARW album, and I doubt he does the artwork for it too. I believe Howe is co-0wner of the logo as well.

He's done every Yes studio album since 1996 except for Magnification (though his logo is still on it). And he's done all of their live albums since the same timeframe (save Symphonic Live, though again his logo's on it). And I believe he's done their compilations since then, like In a Word and Ultimate Yes.

Any future Howe Yes albums, he'll likely be involved with, that's my hunch.

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Maybe Peter Max overslept on deadline day.

GoodKitty and walrus like this.
  13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Yeah, I think it was their last attempt at being considered “modern” and not a retro act.

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Also looks great on my wall fully signed :edthumbs::edthumbs:

Sadcafe likes this.
  15. Sadcafe

Probably because it was their last none retro album (which is a shame) apart from a couple of moments on Keys, the ladder Nd magnification they have been rehashing retro stuff for nearly 1/4 of a centuary.

16. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

That's how I see it.... unfortunate.
    Covers (and titles) matter.

17. walrus

They don't matter if you already like the band, but I guess they do matter for anyone on the fence. Now it doesn't matter, but back in the 90's when you had to commit almost $20 just to hear an album, I think it definitely did. We all had moments back in the 80's/90's when we had to choose one or two albums out of a handful we wanted to buy, not being able to sample any of them first, and the choices often weren't logical, especially in hindsight.

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

June 14 : Happy 69th birthday to Alan White :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.