Curtis Mayfield 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition for ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WhatDoIKnow, May 7, 2021.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

Yes, sorry. Keep On Keeping On: Curtis Mayfield Studio Albums 1970-1974
    I have the CD box set, I didn't yet have a TT then. The consensus is that it's consistently good, albeit many copies of the records are warped...

I'm glad that this ROG release is a good one; I have a few of their soul releases and they are all really, really good.

2. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

The only downside I have heard about the Curtis box set is that there were some QC issues with warps.

edit: see you mentioned that in your later response! Acoustic Sounds has a copy up now on discogs for $40 which is tempting since they say it is open and the LPs are "gorgeous"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  3. WhatDoIKnow

Sounds great!
    I would go for it, if I were you.
    I love me some "gorgeous" LPs :love:

Mike H. likes this.
  4. Man, this is such a dynamite album. For anyone who doesn't have it, do yourself a favor and acquire it any way you can. "Miss Black America" is such a beautiful and uplifting song. We need more of that kind music these days. I'd love to hear the bonus tracks.

5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Classic

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  6. darkbreezes

darkbreezes Forum Resident

any reviews on this yet besides what we have posted (just one?)?

7. WhatDoIKnow

I'm listening now.
    I received the yellow vinyl version and, apart from the colour - which is cool because it ties in with Curtis' trousers on the cover and the labels - it's a really beautiful presentation: heavyweight tip-on gatefold jacket, poly-lined inner sleeves... And a mat, a record mat. Don't know what to make of it but hey, it came with the package and it's not too shabby either.
    Now, Jeff Powell cut these 180g records; after having cleaned/washed them with my RCM, side C and D are flat and extremely quiet from the get go. The first two tracks are mono and I was left momentarily speechless - I didn't remember them being that good. Curtis is, as they say, in the room with you, and it's an emotional thing. Just beautiful.
    Ghetto Child is funky! Wow, does this sound good or what!?
    I will get to the first two sides, but so far this thing is a blast! As I said, I've had the Rhino deluxe edition on CD since it came out, 20 years ago, and I simply never felt that I wanted to revisit these demos. Now, it might be age or whatever else you want to call it but I am thoroughly enjoying them for the first time. ROG delivers again!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  8. darkbreezes

How do you think the second disc sounds specifically? better than all previous releases of the demos or not as good? I believe we had some on the Rhino remaster and also on a hard to find UK cd from the early 2000s (that is quite worth tracking down since it has the most number of outtakes that I know of)

9. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

whoa .....

this is a fantastic album .... might be my favourite after 'curtis/live' ......

Nephrodoc and struttincool like this.
  10. WhatDoIKnow

The CD version I have is this:

Curtis Mayfield – Curtis (2000, CD)

Going from memory, while I immediately fell in love with the album proper, I never really warmed to the demos and this is the reason I started listening to side 3 and 4 of this ROG release. As I said, I was thrown when I heard Power To The People (Mono Demo) and Ghetto Child (Demo) in particular. We know the whole second record to be from digital but I could swear that this is the best they will ever sound. Curtis in the room with me? Yes please! There's a section on (I think, but I will check again) Ghetto Child (Demo) where the congas are... at knee level. You know, like where they probably should be if they're playing them in front of you. Not ear level, knee level.
    I am beyond happy with this presentation, but don't take my word for it, check the reviews on discogs:

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis / Recensioni degli utenti - yellow vinyl

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis / Recensioni degli utenti - black vinyl, many, many more reviews here.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  11. darkbreezes

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  12. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you @darkbreezes, I didn't know this existed. I have a few CDs on the Sequel label and I remember them a step or two above the Charly CDs. In fact, a couple were exactly the same as their Rhino counterparts - only easier to find in Europe at the time.

13. darkbreezes

well i went ahead and ordered the double yellow LP. will compare to my original once it arrives and
    post here

Crush87 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

This KG turquoise America Today is indeed a lovely sounding album (and a great one). So glad I picked it up, and from a local independent store too.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  15. WhatDoIKnow

Cool! I thought it was a US only pressing. Great that you can support indies - and a knowledgeable indie to boot!

I see you're from London, probably my favourite place to be. I'm so looking forward to coming to visit your city once more!
    The last time I was there my only reference point for music were Fopp in Covent Garden (iIrc) and a couple of shops in Greenwich, but now I have a turntable so I'll have to start looking for more shops to spend my time and money in.

16. All 17 of the “Love” demo tracks can also be found on disc 1 of this 3cd comp (in the same sequence too, albeit with 4 more live tracks tacked on the end).

Curtis Mayfield - Love, Peace, Understanding

If memory serves, the 2nd disc (of just the 17 demos) of the pairing with Back To The World clocks in at ~44 minutes and some change — and it would make an OUTSTANDING single LP if ever issued as an ‘album’ in its own right.

I have the Back To The World 2cd version (I didn’t want those live tracks cluttering things up), and all those short, tight, stripped down renditions are just fantastic — every last one of them. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

JasonA and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks. I think it’s actually Europe only (Made in Czech Republic) as per Discogs listing, but no matter, and it is the Kevin Gray cut. I think FOPP is still going, but I’ve not been over to Greenwich in years. A fair number of London stores have closed, but there are some new ones that have opened up too. All the best.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  18. YCC

YCC Well-Known Member

I'm keen to order the yellow edition with the mat... is it still available from ROG site? any help appreciated

19. WhatDoIKnow

I read somewhere else on this forum - can't think where but it was only a day or two ago - that it is indeed still available, but if I were you I would write to customer service and enquire, just to be sure.

YCC likes this.
  20. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

The link is still up for it...
    https://shop.runoutgroovevinyl.com/curtis-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition.html

I ordered it almost a month ago though and it STILL hasn't shipped. I emailed to ask and they said there are massive delays for them with COVID so they are working to get it packed and shipped still.

YCC likes this.
  21. YCC

YCC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, I managed to find available stock locally so have placed an order. Looking forward to indulge in some Curtis Mayfield magic soon!!! cheers

Mike H. likes this.
  22. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Any updates on the comparison?

23. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I'm conflicted on this release. On Discogs there are some saying it's an amazing pressing while some say it's flat and subpar. Would like to hear how it compares to other versions or an original

ILoveLucille likes this.
  24. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

I would also like to hear more opinions on this!

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I only have the MFSL CD to compare, I have the yellow vinyl set and it's much betterin fidelity than the MFSL disc.
    Saying that, the 2nd LP is the revelation here, wow!

YCC and WhatDoIKnow like this.