Curtis Mayfield remastered box 1970-1974 coming 2/22/19 from Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jan 11, 2019.

1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Based on the price difference of the Blue Note Tone Poet and Blue Note 80th anniversary issues I’d say tip-on covers are around $5-10 per record price increase, depending if it is a single or gatefold. Who knows what the label’s cost is, but that’s what the consumer sees, but that would probably add another $30-40 to this box, but that a guess.

It’s funny, I was just holding the Back to the World cover thinking to myself, I don’t really mind the flimsy sleeve because of the pressing and sound quality.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Maybe. But Rhino has released lots of tip-on reissues for less than $20 a pop, so...

Tuck1977 and Cervelo like this.
  3. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Very true. So who knows...

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

harder to cram into a relatively slim box though!

5. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Plan ahead and make the box for the quality jackets.

6. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listened to the rest of this today and they sound wonderful. Great box set and worth every penny. I think shows that you can make great sounding records with high quality pressings for a reasonable price. I know, the covers are pretty lame but I’ll give them a pass for how well they did the rest (and more important in my opinion).

Bananas&blow likes this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Read through this whole thread, unable to come to a consensus on whether the 24/192 hi-res and the CD set share the same mastering. Anyone heard both or can provide DR values for the CD's? I've seen the DR values for the hi-res. TIA

8. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I've got both the vinyl and CD box sets and both sound really good.
    I wouldn't get hung up on DR values.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I don’t get hung up in DR values but they do give you info if something is similarly mastered. I’m looking for the best master between the CD and the hi-res and as we all know with the recent Tom Petty releases, there can be a noticeable difference between the CD and hi-res, they aren’t always mastered the same.

10. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Here are DR reports for the CDs. Keep in mind, these were generated by my iTunes versions that were encoded at 320 kbps AAC files, but it's all I have handy at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/jasona1/Desktop/Curtis
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR10 over -11.93 dB 05 Move on Up.m4a
    DR11 -0.30 dB -14.15 dB 04 We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue.m4a
    DR10 -0.03 dB -11.60 dB 07 Wild and Free.m4a
    DR11 -1.11 dB -14.65 dB 03 The Making of You.m4a
    DR12 -1.02 dB -14.74 dB 02 The Other Side of Town.m4a
    DR11 -0.07 dB -12.88 dB 06 Miss Black America.m4a
    DR10 over -12.00 dB 01 (Don't Worry) If There's Hell Below We're All Gonna Go.m4a
    DR12 -0.08 dB -13.94 dB 08 Give It Up.m4a

Number of files: 8
    Official DR value: DR11

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: /Users/jasona1/Desktop/Roots
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 -0.90 dB -14.10 dB 02 Keep On Keeping On.m4a
    DR13 -0.67 dB -16.39 dB 03 Underground.m4a
    DR12 -0.36 dB -14.42 dB 06 Now You're Gone.m4a
    DR12 -0.21 dB -13.58 dB 05 Beautiful Brother Of Mine.m4a
    DR12 -0.06 dB -13.66 dB 07 Love To Keep You In My Mind.m4a
    DR11 -0.25 dB -13.28 dB 01 Get Down.m4a
    DR11 -0.22 dB -13.18 dB 04 We Got To Have Peace.m4a

Number of files: 7
    Official DR value: DR12

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: /Users/jasona1/Desktop/Back To The World
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -0.09 dB -14.87 dB 05 Can't Say Nothin'.m4a
    DR13 -1.35 dB -15.65 dB 04 If I Were Only A Child Again.m4a
    DR13 -0.33 dB -15.40 dB 02 Future Shock.m4a
    DR12 -0.47 dB -14.73 dB 07 Future Song (Love A Good Woman, Love A Good Man).m4a
    DR13 -0.18 dB -15.89 dB 03 Right On For The Darkness.m4a
    DR13 -0.12 dB -14.74 dB 06 Keep On Trippin'.m4a
    DR12 -0.01 dB -14.25 dB 01 Back To The World.m4a

Official DR value: DR13

Analyzed folder: /Users/jasona1/Desktop/Sweet Exorcist
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -0.05 dB -14.65 dB 05 Kung Fu.m4a
    DR14 -0.09 dB -17.69 dB 02 Sweet Exorcist.m4a
    DR12 -0.03 dB -13.97 dB 04 Power To The People.m4a
    DR14 over -15.56 dB 07 Make Me Believe In You.m4a
    DR13 -0.91 dB -15.90 dB 03 To Be Invisible.m4a
    DR14 -0.14 dB -16.67 dB 06 Suffer.m4a
    DR14 -0.07 dB -15.86 dB 01 Ain't Got Time.m4a

Official DR value: DR13

11. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

The original Curtom CD blows the remaster away. Another remonstered disaster.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

MOFI CD sounds phenomenal.

13. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

I knew there was a Mo-Fi of Curtis S/T, but I didn't think there was a Mo-Fi of Superfly. The Rhino of Superfly is garbage.

14. Incamera

Incamera Well-Known Member

I have just bought the box set. Loving the sound. Curtis and Roots so far. You know when you have made the right choice. Thanks for the encouragement.

Timos, Hep Alien, Henny and 2 others like this.
  15. Incamera

Incamera Well-Known Member

Looks like UK issue STAX CDSXD 021. Mastered by Mayking. I think it is an old CD as it has the old DDD, ADD etc bumf on the insert. Smooth and easy - not loud. Hope that helps.

16. Seems identical to the domestic US CD (SCD-88002) I own. Nice and smooth indeed. Never saw a reason to buy any later remaster, as it sounds just right.

17. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Anyone know if @Chris B cut this box set all analog?

18. bklynbass

bklynbass Forum Resident

Just picked this box up, decided to revive this old thread...just listened to “Curtis” and agree with most on here that it sounds great for the price... aside from some sibilance on the vocal here and there it sounds at least as good as the MOFI gold disc. But the LP is seriously warped. Dished specifically. Side one looked totally flat but side two looks like a roller coaster... anyone else find this to be the case?

19. srsch

srsch Senior Member

All the LPs in my box are without pressing defects. I have original pressings of all of them except Curtis. I prefer the mastering and vinyl quality of the new ones.
    On a side note, I've been getting a lot of warped/dished records this year...some so bad that they had to get replaced.

landerstnkb and Revolver like this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The Vinyl Flat is affordable and close to 100% effective. I wouldn’t want to be without one.

Preston likes this.
  21. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into Vinyl Flat.

sonofjim likes this.
  22. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

Warped CURTIS LPs is a real problem with this box set. I just got my third set from Rhino yesterday—it’s my second replacement order, and all three (the original order + two replacements) had horribly warped CURTIS albums.

The S/T is against one edge of the box, and to my eyes the warpage matches the curvature of the box set in the tight shrink wrap.

Another person on Discogs reports the same thing.

Curtis Mayfield - Keep On Keeping On: Curtis Mayfield Studio Albums 1970-1974 / User Reviews

It’s been two months trying to sort this out with Rhino. I asked for a standalone of CURTIS … and then Rhino sent me the third defective box set. Now I have to ship this all back. First world problems, yes, but a hassle. All of which is to say, buyer beware.

theebrianrector42 likes this.
  23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m sorry to bring this up again (I have no affiliation with the maker) but I got only one copy of this set and all the LPs are flat. I honestly don’t remember at this point if I used the Vinyl Flat on any of these because I’ve used it so many times since. Most recently on disc 9 from the Wildflowers and All the Rest set. Warps are gone and the discs sound perfect. I know I just mentioned it up thread (#245).

Corner dings, seam splits and pressing defects are things I return vinyl over. Again, I apologize for beating what appears to be a dead horse but it seems to me this whole ordeal could easily be avoided. It would certainly spare you future frustration too.

24. theebrianrector42

theebrianrector42 Forum Resident

I have the exact same problem here and I have emailed the DR. twice now with no responses.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this.

i used to get super upset about warps until i got my vinyl flat. it fixes almost all of them without issue.

also: my curtis box was fault-free. and it came from amazon.

sonofjim likes this.