Curtis Mayfield remastered box 1970-1974 coming 2/22/19 from Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:shh:Why would you make a big deal of it?

Jim Duckworth likes this.
  2. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

He was afraid I'd be too excited by this new turn in his listening-I would have too.

Sandinista, jupiter8 and ando here like this.
  3. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Mine just arrived too. Beautiful set!!

RuffNinja likes this.
  4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I hope that Rhino will also tackle the Impressions late 60’s albums.

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Indeed. Mine just showed up too. First impressions (sorry) are that it's of a similar quality to Rhino's Fleetwood Mac 1969-72 and Faces vinyl boxes.

Newscot and landerstnkb like this.
  6. landerstnkb

I was going to compare it to the recent Aretha boxset which I am also very happy with. Btw, I just flipped side 1 of Curtis to side 2 and Move on Up is currently playing...sounds awesome!!

longdist01 and Graham like this.
  7. The Impressions albums on Curtom (the ones with Curtis) are all really fantastic, and really my favorite out of all the Impressions material.

Satrus, Leviethan and Hep Alien like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sooo, has anyone compared "Back To The World" with any of the older Rhino pressings, or CDs?

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. art

art Senior Member

Anyone listen to the hi-res download?

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ok then...if Chris Bellman cut it, I am interested. Looks like a great set.

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I think “Fool For You” is one of the greatest songs of all time. I love that 9/8 time signature.

Hep Alien and trumpetplayer like this.
  12. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I am also wondering about this because I have the original Curtom cd and I think it sounds great. The Curtom cd sounds like a flat transfer where the Charly cd sounds like it was mastered from vinyl or a lower generation tape source.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My point is that nothing sounds like the original Curtom LP. The strings are too low in the later masterings. I am hoping that finally, finally, this box gets it correct.

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Sounds good. Please add more thoughts on the vinyl once you have listened to it all!

16. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

strings are still low. If anything I think they're lower in this mix than other masterings. It's a drier mix too than I've heard before, particularly on 'if there's a hell below'

17. JSS

JSS Member

Ok. So I'm listening to the CD box set through Genelecs via an apogee converter, and comparing it to the lossless rips I did of the 2005 rhino remasters. It's a significant difference. So far I've listened to Roots and Back To The World, and the box set sounds far more 3-dimensional than the 2005 rhino editions. Bass is extended and reverb tails are definitely discernible. The previous editions sound like there's a towel over the speakers in comparison. Totally flat. Drums still sound pretty lo-fi though. The kick and snare are still tiny, but that's what these records have always sounded like. I will say that there's no tape noise, which is slightly alarming - but hey no complaints. It's a big improvement, without a doubt. The irritating de-essing filter I heard on Curtis' vocals on the previous editions is gone. Hard to speculate on the sources - they may be the same as the previous edition, but processed with improved mastering tools developed in the last 14 years.

Hep Alien and g.z. like this.
  18. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Just bought the set for $22 including shipping on Amazon from a 3rd party seller. Was on the fence about getting it since all I am really looking for is an upgraded Sweet Exorcist, but at that price it was too good to pass up. I have all the original Curtom cd's for first 3 albums and I think they sound really good. I have the 2fer with Sweet Exorcist and Got to Find a Way which also sounds good to me, but I have never had anything else to compare it to.

Looking forward to sitting down and comparing all the versions once I get the new box set.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Finally - new transfers for Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist :)

First impressions are good from listening on Apple Music - low noise/distortion and real sounding acoustic spatial cues! Tufo's arrangements never sounded better (on CD, at least).

An upgraded Got To Find A Way must be coming...

Also, the MoFi Superfly is a religious experience.

:cheers:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, g.z., Dok and 2 others like this.
  20. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thanks, Mal. Now I just have to decide if I should go for the vinyl, cds, or both.

Mal likes this.
  21. landerstnkb

I just placed an order for the MoFi Superfly (February has been an extremely expensive month).

Mal likes this.
  22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

So, Chris Bellman cut these? I’m interested in reading more reviews of the vinyl copies.

23. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Sorry if this is somewhat off-topic or has been answered in other threads already, but what would you Curtis aficionados recommend as the best "reasonably priced" vinyl version of Superfly (other than the MoFi 45rpm that was just released)?

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

There's a hybrid SACD too - a little cheaper. That's what I have - only listened to the CD layer so far but it's so creamy I can't stop once I start playing it. At some point I'll listen to the DSD layer...

Otherwise the old Rhino Deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition is the next best one I have although people say good things about the original Curtom CD. The Rhino is a bit compressed and has the tape flutter heard on all versions I've heard prior to the MoFi. On the up side, with the 2CD Rhino you also get a bunch of extras well worth hearing.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Rhino 2CD)

Sounds like the same mastering is on other later CDs too but not the Sequel CD. Victor in Japan released a 1 disc 25th Anniversary Edition - this has the best cover reproduction since you can fold it to just have Curtis on the front cover:

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Victor)

25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

.. for the love of God, country, and Curtis !

:love: