Custom cables on a budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Need to get some custom y cables(male rca to 2 female rca), and a couple of male rca to xlr male cables made up.

Would prefer to do it on a budget but want decent quality. Was thinking about Blue Jean's. Any other suggestions?

2. Gothic Audio. Fantastic imo. x

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Blue Jeans is what I use... Please see my profile for details.

thesisinbold likes this.
  4. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

i made some RCA ic's out of belden 8402 that came out pretty good for the budget.

Eigenvector likes this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Eigenvector likes this.
  6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Redco Audio will make custom cables for you using what's in their inventory. They carry Mogami, my fav. I make my own and buy components from em

pterodactyl likes this.
  7. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I make my own cables, even the wire itself. Fun to make once I got the methodology down.

Typical 1 meter cable has a an average 54pf capacitive reading.

8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Many good recommendations already. I use ProAudioLA for custom cables and never have been disappointed.

9. Fitero

Fitero Well-Known Member

You even draw out the copper into the corresponding wire needed? I've seen this done with gold, but never with copper. Too cool!

10. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

No. I use several parts and assemble them together. I start with some 1/4" diameter poly tubing, cover the outside with braided shielding from a RG-6 or RG-59 coax cable, then put a single strand of copper wire from a speaker cable into the ID of the poly tube.

[​IMG]

That is just one small step in the construction process.

Fitero likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

12. bajaed

What brand is that? Can't read on my phone.

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

You can probably just go to Guitar Center and grab something.

14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

15. Classic Car Guy

LEIGESAUDIO 1ft 1 Male to 2 Female RCA Y Adapter Splitter Connector (2 Pack) (1 Male to 2 Female)(1M2F)

You might wanna ask @Boltman92124 for he might have stuffs like these.

What are you planning to do?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  16. bajaed

Bi amping Legacy Calibre XD's.
    Using variable RCA output of Rogue Cronus Magnum split to rca input of servo sub and xlr input of Calibre XD to run the 8" bass driver via the internal ICE amps. 7.5"midrange/mid woofer and 4" AMT tweeter will be powered by the Rogue through speaker terminals. Should be awesome. I might find I can eliminate the sub.
    May try a Schiit Freya + tube pre amp down the road with balanced outputs to run the ICE amps full range and see which combo is better.

17. Classic Car Guy

So when you split the amp like that via RCA do you still get the same sound or kinda "monoish"
    the reason why I'm asking I'm split the pre out and made a small circuit to do a tape return. I was wondering if was affecting the sound for I didn't compare it in real time.
    But it sound like its good. Ive recorded so many 90 minutes and theyre all balanced

18. bajaed

I don't know yet. Will have this set up in a couple weeks. I'm told it should work well.

19. Classic Car Guy

Good luck on that project. I might do the same. I have 2 integrated stereo tube amps. and 8 watt and a 6 watt. I can easily drive 1-8 inch 35 watt speaker full range. But if I run through a crossover the power goes down. So I need another amp I was thinking to run bot at the same time.

20. bajaed

21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

They carry some nicer cables like Monster and maybe Planet Waves. Well built with good connectors.

22. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I’m slowly purging my primary system of BJC cables. They are fine starting out, but in my system, they didn’t provide the detail, clarity that could be achieved with alternatives.

The BJC cables will be used in secondary system that, with current amping, could use a little warmth and something to mitigate etched sound. BJC cables are good when warmth and smoothness are needed. At least with my stuff. Buy with confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.