Cut Your Own Vinyl Records With This $1,100 Machine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sharedon, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harby

harby Forum Resident

33.33 @ 60Hz requires 216 marks. And one would think that a lathe would have accurate speed designed in.

Count if you care:
    Factor Pairs: (1, 216) (2, 108) (3, 72) (4, 54) (6, 36) (8, 27) (9, 24) (12, 18)

stetsonic and sharedon like this.
  2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

That's what I noticed, especially the wow and flutter in the sustaining notes in the piano/bass and Alex Lilly's vocals. I can hear that the higher frequencies are missing in the Phonocut , including the hi-hats.

Not very impressed.

McLover, violarules and vudicus like this.
  3. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

That description IMO absolutely comnirms that this is a cash grab aimed at the vinyl revival and is not geared towards actually making anything sound good. Appealing to the 5 senses is a pure nostalgia appeal, and not speaking to any of the audiophile qualities or benefits of vinyl or their device speaks volumes to me.

This is a $1000 toy so someone who doesn't know any better can say they ripped their CD to vinyl and printed their own label on an inket, "and now it sounds so much better" while people who know better roll their eyes.​

bever70 and nosliw like this.
  4. MichaelArcane

Even for that application, I don't see the cost savings over just having a limited run pressed propery, plus if you have to pinch pennies in that way you probably pinched far too many pennies on your actual recording, and unless they themselves work for a mastering house as a day job, they're still going to botch the DIY at home master.

I'm really just drawing a blank on how this is going to be a benefit to anyone.

longdist01 and nosliw like this.
  5. nosliw

This could also be a concern from the copyright point-of-view, as anyone with that device can churn out unofficial releases to unsuspecting consumers, combined with people jumping the whole vinyl record bandwagon for whatever reason.

I listened to the audio sample that @vudicus linked to the Phonocut's website and I have to say that it left me unimpressed, especially those who can even discern audio flaws in the medium. So unless it can be corrected, I have to say that it's not a worthwhile purchase.

bever70 likes this.
  6. MichaelArcane

I wouldn't be surprised if avoiding those sorts of legal implications factored into their choice to go 10" as their format.

TheKevster and nosliw like this.
  7. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Mister Charlie likes this.
  8. Vinyl is final

Or ink jet cartridges.

9. Vinyl is final

"Crosley makes record lathe!"

This reminds me of the guy complaining about a problem with a $200,000 motorhome and somebody said, that's because you got one of the cheap ones. And he wasn't kidding.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Waste of $1,100.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

To be pedantic, it's a cover version of a Fifties tune. :) I believe Bullmoose Jackson did the original.

action pact likes this.
  12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It was Jackson. But it all became moot when we got Five Inch CDs with perfect sound forever, of course. Who brags about those big old things anymore?

13. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

"She just loves my average five inch CD of her favorite blues" sounds a bit... lacking in comparison. :sigh:

action pact likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It probably doesn't produce great-sounding records, but I dig the modernist, Dieter Rams-inspired industrial design. It's visually very attractive.

This could be a fun way for bands to sell their music at gigs.

[​IMG]

15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This outfit online sells blank 10" vinyl discs for $2.75 - $3 (2mm) a pop, or $247.50 for a pack of 100x blank 10". They even have clear vinyl:

http://recordblanks.com/

I do notice they're currently out of stock of 12" and 7" blanks.

Grant likes this.
  16. William Byron

William Byron Forum Resident

Lathe Cuts, when/if produced properly by a lathe company that knows what they're doing, sound absolutely crisp and phenomenal to my legit but grateful surprise. I've been getting a lot made from a West Coast company called Town Lathe after being burned twice by sub-par suppliers.

17. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

This is just the kind of product that will have open-ended promise and then be constrained by physical and economic realities.
    I am, of course, ready to buy ASAP.
    In fact, would be willing to trade my mint minidisc player and some valuable home made tapes for the unit.
    Looking forward to the specs this December.

William Byron likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Neither am I. I also hear the wow and flutter in the sustaining notes of the piano/bass, and Alex Lilly's vocals. The soundstage sounds very flat, I can barely hear the room ambiance. The Grundman sounds considerably better and cleaner, and none of that annoying wavering.

nosliw likes this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

No they aren't, as this is a Kickstarter scam with no product to emerge.

20. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Now you can record your music on any plastic plate from your kitchen. "For professional use"! LOL

[​IMG]

21. nosliw

Phonocut post a new update on their new prototype to minimize the wow/flutter that was encountered in their first build.

They definitely mitigated the wow/flutter in their second prototype but the sound quality is still not very good. It sounded like a badly transcoded MP3 file with added artifacts. :shake:

Currently, they're charging 1,899EUR for their pre-order and their targeted MSRP is 2,999EUR. Replacement cutting stylus will cost 149EUR.

Pre-Order Today + New Prototype, Pricing & Delivery Update

12" 45rpm and MrRom92 like this.
  22. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Depends also on how much the blank lathes cost and if you plan on doing a lot of them. I'll be doing an 8" lathe soon and it's around $275-300 for 25, through a company that does them well (meaning as good as they can get it, considering the inferior sound quality etc). 10"s are around $400 for 25. Only being able to do 10"s is certainly limiting though as pointed out, as well as longevity as for getting blank lathes.

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I just can’t see the utility of this, even when it was a $1,100 machine, but it makes even less sense at €2999. The entire premise is that pressing is expensive and bands can hock these imitation records at their merch booth. But even the most basic, bottom of the barrel pressing run, white labels in a generic jacket and cutrate mastering will absolutely blow these away. While costing a fraction of the price of the machine. And not requiring your drummer to sit there and individually cut 100 records.

nosliw likes this.
  24. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Can one use it to make direct to disc records? If so, that would bump up the sound quality a lot.

25. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Wait, for a bit over $3000 I can keep the drummer in one place out of sight for hours at a time?

[​IMG]

Henrik_Swe and MrRom92 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.