Dac cd transport thoughts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grahamstuartcanada, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave” Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I am looking to upgrade a faulty cambridge azur 351c, to go along with my audiolab 8300a integrated amp and totem rainmakers.

I wondered about the well reviewed audiolab 6000cdt, along with an external dac, possibly the audiolab streamer 6000n w dac , or schitt bi first dac.
    It appears both combinations would still get me below the cost of the higher level audiolab 8300cd player... or the even more expensive audiolab 8300cdq...any thoughts???

Graham

2. Salparadise

Salparadise Forum Resident

I had to make similar decisions at the first of the year. I chose the Audiolab 6000 CDT and a Denafrips Ares II DAC. I was amazed at how much more detailed and musical this combo was than my old Rega Apollo CD player. Most of this was due to the DAC of course, and I liked it so much that I decided to upgrade to the Pontus II, which I am even happier with. I recommend that you go with the 6000 CDT and investigate the Denafrips DACs. There is a lengthy thread with tons of info and reviews (everybody loves them, and they're priced right).

You are probably going to hear from some who think expensive 1|0's are better, and wouldn't be caught dead with a $500 transport feeding digits into their $50k name brand electronics... but I'm not buying it. If it spins discs and transmits the data without a bunch of jitter, that's all I need, and all I want to pay for. $500 for the 6000 CDT is smart money in my book, but the DAC is the trick.

Grahamstuartcanada and basie-fan like this.
  3. nocode76

nocode76 Active Member

I'm in the same boat @Grahamstuartcanada. Love the sound of the 8300A with my turntable (Dual 505-2), speaker (BA VR-965) setup, but would really like to add CD transport/DAC or CD player to my system.

I see in a different thread you picked up the 8300CDQ. If I'm not mistaken, with the same DAC built-in to the 6000A, I imagine the compatibility with the 8300A is great and sounds great. Ever have the chance to try the CDT with external DAC in combo w 8300A or heard from others that have?

Realize with 8300CD, could always upgrade to external DAC later, though hard to pass up the 6000CDT at the current price point... leaves a decent amount of room to grab decent external DAC.

Grahamstuartcanada likes this.
  4. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

I use an outboard dac with my CD players and love it. I wouldn't have it any other way !

5. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave” Thread Starter

I ended up with a 8300cdq - sounds great to my ears but what do I know. Not sure I will ever use mqa just wanted something that would sound good

nocode76 likes this.
  6. nocode76

nocode76 Active Member

What's your go to standalone DAC? I'm leaning in this direction.

7. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

I have a bifrost multi bit as my main. I also have a topping d90 as a backup. Topping is not really my favorite.....it's decent though.

nocode76 likes this.
  8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

A used Rotel CD player and an MSB Link DAC is a really great sounding set for CD playback.

tillman, nocode76 and Tajo1960 like this.
  9. nocode76

nocode76 Active Member

Took the leap. At same cost, I opted for Audiolab's 6000CDT paired with Denafrips ARES II DAC. Ordered today, can't wait!

ssmith3046 and tillman like this.
  10. tillman

tillman Forum Resident

Here’s a good (science-y) review of the schiit multibit: Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC . Based on the data, I’d skip it.

I use the Rega Apollo R. They have a separate dac if you want but it’s unnecessary IMO as the Apollo comes with wolfsons and it sounds great. I’ve enjoyed mine for several hours a day for a long time.

11. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

It all depends on personal taste, what kind of sound you are looking for, synergy with the components and budget of course.

nocode76 likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Congratulations! I really love my Audiolab and I'm currently using a Schiit Modi multibit DAC with an Audioquest coax cable. My birthday is coming up and I'm considering a Bifrost 2 or Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Audiolab and Ares II combo.

nocode76 likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

Schiit no longer makes that DAC. I had one and thought it sounded great. The Bifrost 2 is the newest Bifrost.

tillman and pressureworld like this.
  14. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

ASR has its' own axe to grind with Schiit products. Measurements are only one criteria to evaluate when looking at a DAC. I love my GUMBY, although it probably measured better before I had it upgraded, it sounds better now.

ssmith3046, tillman and pressureworld like this.
  15. nocode76

nocode76 Active Member

Can confirm the Ares II / 6000CDT / 8300a combo sounds fantastic! Nice and detailed, good separation, not harsh at high frequencies. Likewise, bass punchy without being overbearing. Comparable to my own TT/stylus (considering upgrade)/amp output. Definitely recommended as an option, though I'm sure the Bifrost 2 sounds good as well.

Ran with that particular setup for first time last night. Gave Radiohead's Amnesiac, The Black Keys' Rubber Factory and Nirvana's Unplugged a listen. Looking forward to another session tonight (probably some Neil Young at Massey Hall, Beatles White Album, but who knows).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Sounds like an excellent plan of attach. So many great reviews of 6000cdt and I can vouch for Schiit Audio products as I own their Mani phono pre and Modi3 DAC. I'm currently considering the 6000cdt as an ungrade to my Marantz cdp.

17. ssmith3046

You can't beat the Modi 3 for a hundred bucks. I'm currently using my Audiolab 6000CDT with a couple of Schiit DACs, the Modi multibit and Modius. I like to switch them out occasionally because each one brings something different to the table. Both are great budget DACs. I also use a Schiit Asgard 3 headphone amp.

RockNRod likes this.
  18. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I just hooked up the Modi 3 using my DVD player as the transport thru a Coax cable and a swear it sounds fantastic, however I have not done an A/B comparison. Mostly just playing 24/96 source material at this point.

ssmith3046 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.