DAC - Gustard R24 vs Denafrips Ares II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikeypas, Dec 25, 2022.

1. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've been looking to upgrade my DAC from Topping D50s to either Gustard R24 or the Denafrips Ares II (now known as Enyo)

I've read individual reviews of both units, but couldn't find a comparison between the two.
    Quite a big price difference. Regarding the Gustard, I don't have a need for the ethernet/streamer capabilities, I'll just be using it with USB from my iMac, using Audirvana mostly with DSD albums.

For my amp, I have Little Dot MKIII and the Schitt Asgard 2 (HD6xx and Hifiman HE400i) as headphones.

Any thoughts? This is going to be an upgrade from the Topping D50s.

Thank you!

2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Do you mean the Gustard R26?
    Either the AresII or Gustard R26 will be a great upgrade from the Topping. I have the D50 in my TV system and it is just okay.
    For primarily music, a R2R DAC will probably give you more satisfaction.
    Good luck!

Influxor likes this.
  3. mikeypas

Yes I’m not sure why I put R24, I did intend to put R26

between the two I mentioned, any clear cut winner? I’m not sure if the R26 is worth the extra amount if streaming is not important to me.

4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Seems like the Pontus vs the X26 would be a closer comparison. Both seem to get rave reviews.

rodentdog likes this.
  5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Hi mikeypas. I'm on the hunt for some digital upgrading and was wondering if you ever pulled the trigger on the Gustard R26? How'd it work out for you? Did you get something else instead? Can I ask what, and how do you like it?
    Thanks!

6. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Not really you are paying for the streamer...and the Ares 12th anniversary is out now to....the Ares II is comparable, the Pontus is a step ahead of r26 and the new Ares 12th my be to...

7. mikeypas

I did go down that rabbit hole. I got the R26, and tried numerous times comparing USB vs LAN connection. Unfortunately, could never get the LAN working nicely with Audirvana, always has dropouts and losing track of what song was playing, etc. I even tried adding the fiber optic cables to the chain.
    Finally , I went with the USB side, adding the U18 and a LHY OCK-2 clock. Really liking the sound, but this combination is new as of yesterday, so I hear that it will continue to improve with time!

I think at this point the weakest point in my chain is the hifiman xs edition.