1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Dac question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jek57, Oct 15, 2021.

1. jek57

jek57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been using a Bluetooth receiver 1Mii which has ess dac with my fone and laptop but I plugged my laptop into my preamp tuner and it sounds much better than the Bluetooth..My question is would a dac sound better than a laptop plugged into a a stereo? My setup is a McIntosh Mx113 preamp tuner McIntosh Mc152 power amp and Wharfadales diamonds 11.4

2. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

Definitely would be a nice improvement to add a DAC between your laptop and your preamp. Bluetooth music is very compressed. Are you using Tidal or Qobuz or a streaming service for music? If so you can look into the Bluesound Node, it’ll allow you to use your phone as a remote.

rodentdog likes this.
  3. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Laptop DAC is not made for hifi, they will use what is decent. Hifi DACs strive to be the best they can for the price.

Bluesound Node is a good unit to start with.

jek57 likes this.
  4. jek57

5. jek57

I'm using apple music also use Amazon hd the laptop sounds pretty good but it sounds like a dac is the way to go

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

And don't use bluetooth for music if quality sound is your goal.

rodentdog and patient_ot like this.