DAC questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Sure seems that way -- they are likely eclipsed by DACs that cost 1/4 of the price now.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  2. dcurtis71

dcurtis71 Well-Known Member

I recently changed from a very good Benchmark HDR Dac 1 to a MHDT LABS Orchid tube dac that I like much more,it is smooth sounding for sure you also detailed. You can read 6moons review on it which you can find on the linear tube audio website they carry the MHDT dacs.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  3. Keith Chelini

Keith Chelini New Member

I am considering purchasing the MHDT Orchid DAC to replace my Schiit Yggdrasil A2. I enjoy the Schiit but I prefer the sound of the old Phillips chips. I also have a Border Patrol Sei DAC. I would be interested to compare it with the MHDT Orchid.

4. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

There's a 1.1x MKII Sig on ebay right now for $1300 or best offer. That's the one I'd buy if I was lookin right now. Slightly above your stated budget, but not by much if the seller will budge. If you've never heard a DAC like this, it will probably surprise you.

Audio Note DAC 1.1x MkII Signature | eBay

The Orchid mentioned above is a similar type, but I doubt it has the parts, construction quality, or R&D behind it of that Audio Note.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You get a lot bang for your buck from Schiit. I wanted a DAC to update my older Marantz CD deck so I tried a Modi 3 for a hundred bucks. Huge difference in the sound. Then I got the multibit bug and tried a Modi multibit and loved it. I had a chance to pick up a mint Bifrost multibit so I went with it and that's where my DAC journey ends, for now. I am curious about the Bifrost 2.

boyhitscar, Noel Patterson and adamos like this.
  6. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Hi we own a Rega Apollo cdp too can you tell me the differences you hear with the DAC r connected please as, I'm considering buying a outboard dac probably the DAC r?

Cheers
    -evo777

7. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have the Audiolab CDT paired with the Schiit Bifrost 2 and it is an excellent sounding combination.

8. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Hi, I would say the biggest difference is that takes all the sonic attributes of the Apollo and just presents them a little more tidily for lack of a better word. In other words if you ever felt the Apollo was a little “furry” sounding, you will find the DAC-R presents things with a much clearer window.

I know they always say the Rega players present digital with more analog warmth but it is still a digital player so I don’t want to go over descriptive with saying it sounds like analog. But if you ever wish for more resolution out of the Apollo then the DAC-R is a nice upgrade and you can choose from multiple filters (3) for 16/44 to your liking. I use filter 3.

I have not used for high resolution audio but I did test it using USB and it lit up 24/192.

9. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply I'll keep your comments in mind.

-evo777

mbg likes this.
  10. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I have a 10 years old TC-7520SE (I think that's the model) and I have compared it to some new dacs worth 500 euros and I liked it more, at least with the USB input.
    It felt a bit bassy, though, but with great detail and soundstage. A cheap 10 years old dac. I don't know... I was thinking of buying a RME ADI2, but the more I dust the Beresford, the less sense makes to me.
    Maybe I'm just the limiting component in my system.

Gie663 likes this.
  11. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

I'm using Schitt Modi $99 DAC out to a Rega Brio. Inputs are USB from my Mac OS computer, and coax from NAD C516BEE CD transport. It sounds fine, but I've often wondered if the onboard DAC in the NAD would be better than the little Schitt (sorry could not resist that word combo lol). Plus that's one less set of cables; no coax out to DAC it would just be analog direct to Rega Brio amp. I've also wondered if a $200 or $500 DAC would improve the sound vs the Schitt Modi.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  12. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

That's pretty much what I did to keep an old DAC that only supported 48/24 through its USB input. When I found about the USB to S/PDIF conversion features of the Topping D10 I was skeptical. Later I became convinced that anyone paying more for a dedicated high end S/PDIF converter is either unaware of the D10 or is comfortable with spending too much money.

13. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

In fact I did spend more on a Schiit Eitr only to find it would not work on any of my four new computers.
    The Topping D10 not only works perfectly it also displays the sampling frequency digitally.
    I bought two and will buy another shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.