DAC suggestions for bedroom system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jlykos, Jan 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It seems the same brand names come up in these DAC threads over and over, so all I can say is I'm extremely happy with my $299 JDS EL DAC II. It does everything I want a DAC to do. As far as a detailed description of the sound, I have nothing to offer except that it has no sound signature I can detect. I must admit appearance and simplicity were a factor, and this is a solid build, minimalist featured unit. JDS Labs - EL DAC II+ - DACs

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

All I can say is the inexpensive little node 2i I’m running in my second system sounds really great and I consider it a relative bargain. A perfect fit.

3. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Your not finding a used Denefrips for 500 in this market.

I am using and have been for about 6 months now an older top tier topping D70 and it performs well.

I think you are over thinking this.

Toneh, Rolltide and shug4476 like this.
  4. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Agreed on both counts.

Firstly I just saw a recent online auction here in NZ where a used Ares II sold for pretty much the price of a new one :laugh:

And I also think - as I mentioned upthread - that these new DAC's are probably universally quite good... likely even better than merely "good". Digital is well and truly mature in 2022... you may find a little more or less of this flavour or that in the current crop of up-to-$1k models but I think it would be hard to find one that's truly a dud. And the chances one is "night and day" better than another price comparable option is likely very slim indeed!

But I understand the desire to get the best for your money, having recently just been through the process myself.

Rolltide and Roger P like this.
  5. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I was off, buddy let me demo the Magnius and Bifrost. A pretty lil matte black stack! The ZMF Verites blew my mind though. ZMF has some high quality cans man.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Cambridge DACMagic 100. Absolutely unbeatable at the price! I've had mine for years and while I've had better ones they were 10x the price. I tend to use onboard DACs on my main integrated (GSi75) and just picked up a Simaudio ACE which is amazing, but the little Cambridge is always my backup.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have a 100 and it's a great little DAC but my little Schiit Modi multibit gets the most use. I'll always keep the DacMagic 100 and the Modi multibit and my Modius when I upgrade to the Bifrost 2. If I upgrade because I just haven't felt the need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.