DAC upgrade I know is better

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using the onboard DAC in my McIntosh c2500. It has always been a little glitchy.

If I were to upgrade it what would be some good options? I would think about a used DAC.

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What price point are you wanting to be around?

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Define “glitchy”?

4. ghost rider

I don't know say 2 thousand or so. I just want to be blown away.

c-eling likes this.
  5. ghost rider

I frequently have to turn off and back on to get the USB to sync up.

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Ghost, get a good equalizer then :winkgrin:
    A good DAC should be transparent and represent the recording. (flaws and all)
    With so many on the market I came up with a list of options I wanted and didn't want or need then headed over to head-fi.

7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You might want to consider the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. It's well above your stated budget (although you can find some deep discounts if you look around), but it is a truly exceptional unit which continues to drop my jaw regularly. This unit has ended my search for better DACs.

Lonson and Rolltide like this.
  9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

A little below your price point...Chord qutest.

CN211276, Scratcha and Doug Walton like this.
  10. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Why not try a Schiit Eitr USB box with Coax and optical outputs into your existing DAC?
    This unit locks onto USB great and adds clarity because of its better than average USB implementation.
    I doubt McIntosh has a great USB arrangement as many companies suck at USB.
    But the McIntosh DAC may sound just swell if using its SPDIF inputs.
    If the result doesn't thrill you send the Eitr back after testing.
    You won't have lost anything.
    And will have given the Mac a chance to show its best side before jumping to another DAC and throwing away the feature you already paid for.
    My two cents.

unclefred, Scratcha, jhenry and 2 others like this.
  11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

A used DS Jr is in his price range. Ask me how I know. :D

olson and TarnishedEars like this.
  12. You may also want to sample a R2R Ladder-style DAC's sound for comparison. Some people end up preferring that type of sound to the more conventional DACs already cited.

rodentdog likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes they are. I'm also expecting to see some more used DirectStream Sr DACs hit the market after the DirectStream Signature edition gets released.

We need a review/comparo of your new toy. :agree:

14. TarnishedEars

A old friend of mine recently purchased a DS Jr after hearing my senior a few months ago. I've had it burning-in continuously for the past 3 weeks to be sure that it will be at its best. We are tentatively planning on having a very informal shootout at my place this Sunday afternoon. Ham, you are welcome to attend if you should feel like a road-trip is worth the effort.

And yes, it will be very interesting to see how Ted Smith's latest creation comes out... It's WAY above the Op's budget though...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Scratcha, Bubbamike, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  15. TarnishedEars

I have to admit that this isn't a bad idea. He could always try-out an Eitr and see if it transforms his system or not. If not, then he can always get a better DAC.

16. ghost rider

Gave me something to think about. The DAC sound good I mostly listen to 24/96 needle drops and to me the needle drops sounds 99.9% as good as the raw vinyl even better when I clean them up. I play directly from the computer I record and process them using the USB out. This computer doesn't have a digital out. I have options to pull a Asus soundcard from one computer, I don't use it anymore anyhow used to be a HT computer with 7.1 analog output. I long since ditched the idea of playing movies from a computer. That would give me a coax out. Or I could copy the files to a usb drive and play them with my Oppo bdp 105d but I like how I cue them up on the computer and have complete control from the other room with a wireless keyboard. I really don't have the shelf space for another component but I always MacGyver a way when I want to. I wish I could figure out a better way to re-sync up the dac that doesn't involve shutting the McIntosh off. Have tried everything So far what most of the time is turn on the McIntosh first and what for the initial warmup period and then turn on the computer.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  17. Ham Sandwich

I'll second or third the option to try the Schiit Eitr USB to coax SPDIF interface. It's $180 and may fix the problems you're having if those problems are due to the USB interface on the c2500 misbehaving. The Schiit Eitr is a good USB interface and behaves well. I've been using one. Your c2500 has two coax SPDIF inputs, so you've likely got one free to try with the Eitr.

It's also possible that the problems are due to the computer you're using, its software configuration, or the particular USB hub you're using (if you're using a hub), or other reasons. There are a lot of computer hardware and software things that can make USB audio from a computer glitchy or unreliable. If you try the Schiit Eitr and it fixes the problems then the problems were probably due to the USB implementation on the c2500. If the Eitr doesn't fix the problems then the problems are probably due to a computer hardware or software issue.

Trying that will help diagnose/troubleshoot the problem before you jump all the way to deciding you need a new $2000-ish DAC. On the other hand, DAC shopping is interesting. And there are discoveries to be found in how different DACs sound and how they pair with your gear and preferences.

jhenry likes this.
  18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

My "review", I'd take him up on that offer to go hear one warmed up and plugged in long enough for the power to stabilize in a good system. Maybe bring your headphone rig along to try something you are familiar with if that is an option.
    I've only had it for a week, as of tomorrow. My experience is in room. Used, so I'm not worried about break-in. Power stabilization after being plugged in was similar to other DACs. You know how that goes. Still want to try the Bridge II. New cat6 laying here waiting to be plugged in. Outside of that, I am reluctant to say to much yet.

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The new 2019 version of the Lampizator Amber 2 is retailing for $2400. It was redesigned and now includes the digital engine from their TOTL Pacific DAC. It is tubed with a solid state rectifier (tube rectifier available but not necessarily recommended), and can play most formats including DSD. The build quality is exceptional and the unit feels substantial. They are hand built in Poland, and shipped to your door from Poland. I bought one on a whim earlier this year, and it sounds detailed and open, not at all slow or tubey in nature. The tubes do just enough to remove any remaining glare, but not over the top.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  20. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

The Qutest is hard to beat, by any standard and any price. However, it's form factor is an acquired taste. It's set up for an M-scaler too, if you ever feel the notion to go that direction. I also have a Schiit EITR that I can use with myAragon PCM63-based R2R DAC. I switch back and forth between DSD and R2R technology.

rodentdog and Scratcha like this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

I did take him up on an offer to hear his DirectStream with his speaker setup. It was very good. Very good. Demonstrated a style of imaging and layering that I like. Which is why I'm intrigued by the DirectStream DAC, and by association the DS Jr. It did very well with the speaker setup. I just need to hear it now with my headphone setup to know if it's a good DAC for what I'm after with my headphone setup. Speakers and headphones image differently. Just because a DAC is great with speakers doesn't mean it will do what I want with headphones.

Kyhl and TarnishedEars like this.
  22. TarnishedEars

Ham: You're welcome to drag your headphone rig with you next time you come up to Seattle, and learn once and for all if the DS is a good match for your setup or not.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  23. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Border Patrol.

25. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I recently asked a quite similar question in THIS THREAD. I made up my mind and now I am just choosing where to place my order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.