DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by three_paws, Jul 11, 2021.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

You really think I want to argue that analogy I made with you at this point? I don't care what you think about my analogy now, I've only ever and since called you out for poor behavior.

Then you go right back to "your opinion is wrong" , right back where we started.

Holy smokes man, if you don't see it..... I'm "over and out" sorry I checked into your thread. You should reflect, especially after that last post.

2. hippieben

hippieben Senior Member

Schiit Gungnir multibit, fed by HQPlayer.

Sounds so good that I don't see the need to listen to vinyl much anymore.

3. three_paws

three_paws deleted account Thread Starter

I am responding to your
    I don't know what you want to argue about, but you clearly want to argue. Honestly, every time I post here, it's 90% great and useful responses and 10% know it all dudes who can't handle anyone disagreeing with them. It kills the thread and it kills the forum. Buzzkill much?

Yes, I am responding to your comments. Would you rather I ignore you? Done.

4. three_paws

That's the place I'd love to get to. I'm sure I'd still listen to vinyl, but it would be great to get the same type of experience with digital. Thanks, man. Did you ever compare it to the Bifrost 2, by any chance?

5. TheVinylAddict

Maybe your disastrous thread will be a lesson, I'm not going to allow you to get away with the kind of disrespect you showed me earlier, and then try to turn the tables and paint me in that light.

Funny thing is, I have a Comp Sci / Eng degree, worked at Intel for 18 years, built high end platforms from parts every couple of years from my sons' --- I actually could have offered you some rationale to my point. I do it all the time (rationale), check other posts I've made - I can actually get long winded trying to make a good point. I'm hardly a troll. I will offer original points at times, challenge, but always try not to make personal attacks, disparage. It makes forums a better place.

But from the start, I was fending off your ridicule, and "your opinion is wrong." And then you're sidekick jumped in and did his troll act.

Thought I'd offer that summary. Your words and style are everything.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  6. three_paws

Thanks to everyone who posted thoughtful comments. Sorry the thread went to ****.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

Funny, I thought my first post was thoughtful when I typed it.... until someone ruthlessly ridiculed it and then me.

My post is still there, agree or not, it was thoughtful. I still like the analogy too.

8. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

You didn't do it... everyone in this post knows which ***** blew this thing up with his insecurity.

9. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Yeah, dude, THAT'S the problem.

Helllloooooo???!?!?!?!?!

three_paws likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

As long as your trolling posts are still there (not deleted like others) it's tough for you to take any kind of high ground here.

This is *still* trolling and personal insults.... no matter how indirect you word it. Called out once again.

You seeing a trend here?

11. hippieben

hippieben Senior Member

I have not compared it to any of the other MB DACs from Schiit. I also have on of their Modi 2U that I use in the office, and generally I prefer the MB do any delta sigma DACs I've heard. The Bifrost is interesting because, when fed with 4x rates it does not do internal over sampling, whereas the Gungnir over samples to 8x. However, with their non-apodizing closed-form interpolation, this doesn't get in the way of HQPlayer's filters.

I wish I had the funds to be able to compare multiple DACs.

The way I see it, upgrading from the Gungnir MB, with the intent of using HQP, would be to go to one of the Holo DACs.

12. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Denafrips Ares II. I'm a convert.

13. hippieben

hippieben Senior Member

I'll say, definitely a tempting move for upgrading my office setup. I'm weary of the delay and lack of output stage though. You should let me borrow yours ;)

timind and three_paws like this.
  14. three_paws

Me too, but sometimes I'm glad I don't--I'd stay at home and mess with gear all day.

15. brock

brock Forum Resident

I’ve had a Bifrost 2 for about a year, and I love it. I can really only compare it to the Modi Multibit that it replaced, but fwiw, going from the Modi MB to the Bifrost 2 was a huge upgrade. Digital glare disappeared, and the sound became much more “analog” in nature … to my ears anyway. My modest system became much less fatiguing and much more musical, instantly. Best $700 I’ve spent in this hobby, by far.

ssmith3046, Dignan2000 and three_paws like this.
  16. three_paws

Where did you buy yours?

17. three_paws

"Digital glare" is a good phrase! Thanks, man.

Right now I'm looking at these (with my reasoning for each in brackets): Ares II (smooth/warm), Bifrost 2 (good balance between detail and warmth), Gungnir (better bass than Biforst), Qutest (detail, airy, but a bit neutral), and Pontus II (balanced, warm, but detailed).

18. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

DACs are cool and I am looking forward to comparing the Black Ice with the Audio GD -- it should allow me hear the difference between not only R2R versus Delta-Sigma conversion but also between tube and solid-state output stages.

Separate from my hifi system, my home recording studio is built around an Antelope Audio interface renowned for its converters and clock. That was my DAC for a few weeks before I got the Black Ice. My recollection of the Antelope was that it was almost too clean and detailed. When I got the Black Ice, it sounded more "musical" than the Antelope (harmonic distortion of tubes? voicing? output stage?... yes, please).

I likened that experience to the way I think about my studio monitors (JBL 4328P)
    compared to my hifi speakers (Omega Outlaw Super 3XRS with built in 8" active hemp cone subs). The JBLs, like all studio monitors, are designed to be true, not comfortable; they should reveal issues against a flat frequency response. Most of our hifi speakers are designed specifically, if ever so slightly, to sound good to us; to reproduce the source in a way that sounds nice to us while not being overly hyped (all speakers are more or less on this spectrum).

That's why in an earlier post, the idea that no one needs any more than an $99
    DAC was met with push back. DACs are voiced differently, can convert the same data in different ways (R2R vs D/S), and can have different type of outputs stages, filters, NOS and OS modes, and different qualities of parts and design for each stage. Of course different DACs will sound different.

This a good thread that I think is really relevant because I am soon to retire my vinyl acquisitions. I still have two wonderful vintage Technics turntables and a tube pre I like but because so much of my listening is via Qobuz now, the DAC becomes more and more central to the voice/synergy of my two systems.

I do think there are a lot of fantastic DACs that you can find used around the $1k mark, so given that it could be your single digital source, isn't crazy.

-Chris

three_paws and mikeyt like this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"Sweet spot" and "diminishing returns" are only useful in this hobby for making ourselves feel better. For example, I've been priced out of Shunyata's new flagship products. The sweet spot is in the next tier down though, since I can afford those products someday. Maybe.

20. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

That's a definitely a good list! Though it is premature -- I don't have my R2R-1 yet (so can't speak to it yet) -- throw the Audio-GD and Border Patrol on that list. The Audio GD at least you could do an in-home demo with Wally.

three_paws likes this.
  21. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

I'm not quite sure why the erroneous packets aren't identified. It would seem like a buffer could address this issue, BUT apparently this issue is not that easy to solve or it would have been solved already.

22. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Topping D70s here, it's a bold, smooth, analogue sounding DAC. Can't fault it in terms of sound and features.

Seems to be generally agreed that the D70s in terms of sound signature is Topping's counter to the more sterile D90 series, some have said it leans towards a R2R-like sound but I haven't heard an R2R DAC so I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  23. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

My take on this is that there is a level of audio components that are good enough for me. Which I've found is actually not a low bar. And it's not necessary a matter of price. I've heard more $50k+ systems that I wouldn't even want in my home than ones that sound "good enough".

I feel that going about component selection and evaluating system synergy mindfully can yield sound quality that exceeds expectations based on just the sum cost of components. The one factor that is difficult to overcome IMHO is room acoustics.

timind, mikeyt, jh901 and 1 other person like this.
  24. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Truer words were never spoken. "Evaluating system synergy mindfully" is also quite fun.

Calvin_and_Hobbes likes this.
  25. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

well first off none of those methods of transferring data use packets . . . .