DACs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by three_paws, Jul 11, 2021.

1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It is easy to spend into oblivion and fail to get a rewarding result. That's a concept which is different than "diminishing returns.

Bingo Bongo and mikeyt like this.
  2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

IMHO good digital these days is defined by being accurate and transparent while also lacking harshness, aka digital glare

3. three_paws

three_paws deleted account Thread Starter

Http/https use packets. I don't quite follow his USB explanation, TBH. It also seems misplaced. The issue isn't data loss with USB transfers but with HTTP/S transfers.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

A desirable component, digital or otherwise, does less harm than a relatively less desirable component. This concept will clear up much confusion. Add a Shunyata conditioner to a well sorted system and each component will perform better by doing less harm.

5. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

WHOOPS, I must have gotten confused following the quotes- I thought this was about USB/toslink/spdif- sorry about that.

three_paws likes this.
  6. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

Whereas the Modi uses simple USB-provided power and generates an output free of audible artifacts. That's been demonstrated pretty conclusively by careful lab measurements. Spending more on a power supply gets you what, exactly?

People should feel free to spend whatever they like on whatever product they choose, for whatever reasons. But the audible output won't be improved, objectively. Now, if you're talking a device that acts as both a DAC and something else (like a DSP or preamplifier, which some DAC products do), we're in another realm entirely.

7. three_paws

No, it was--that's why I'm confused by it, too!

8. three_paws

I have 3 DACs. Each one sounds different, and each is audibly better in this respect or that. So I don't know how to square my experience with what you're saying.

bever70, mikeyt and Art K like this.
  9. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

Nothing Shunyata manufactures is going to improve anything. Sufficient voltage protection is all anyone needs, and it's available for low 3 figures in USD, rather than the thousands Shunyata charges for its stuff.

russk likes this.
  10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There is no rational way to square that line of thinking, which is based not on experience, but rather rigidly held belief. A shame really, but I'll take my network player and I'd happily entertain a face off with any unit half its price or less.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Provably false. Enjoy mediocre sound. Revel in it!

12. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

I'm guessing you've got sunk cost in Shunyata product.

As for "provably false," James Randi offered a million USD if Shunyata (or any other exotic cable product manufacturer) could document any improvement in audio system reproduction quality. It was never collected, so I'd say "provable" is pretty ephemeral.

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Guessing you've got zilch and never have.

It is not possible to hear the artifacts in the reproduced sound you are familiar with until they are removed. Talk about a revelation.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. three_paws

Thanks, Chris. That's kind of my audio struggle in a nutshell. For my ears, too much stuff sounds overly processed/polished. I get the appeal of access to all that information, but I want that more natural sound. That's why I love the Olympia--it's imperfect, and it sounds real and engaging. I'd love to find that in a DAC.

h1pst3r88 and jh901 like this.
  15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Listen to your ears. Simple as that.

jonwoody, h1pst3r88 and jh901 like this.
  16. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

My ears are actually pretty silent, as are those of pretty much everyone I've ever encountered. Most listeners don't ever do the kind of blind testing of gear that would be required to actually demonstrate a difference. Nor necessarily should they; if you like the sound, that's what matters.

Audiophiles frequently, IME, talk themselves into believing that nonsensical system tweaks enhance the sound reproduction. And I have no problem with that; it's a hobby after all. (I've talked myself into spending thousands of dollars on putters that I continue to pull left of the cup.) But when people shill highly expensive snake oil to other people who may not really be able to afford to waste the money, it annoys me greatly. Shunyata is one of the prime offenders, along with Audioquest.

rockphotog likes this.
  17. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

From the Vinshine site.

three_paws likes this.
  18. three_paws

I understand that, but I think most people would be able to tell the dacmagic and project s2 apart. Very different sound signatures.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. three_paws

Thanks!

20. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I wish there was a way for people to hear the Denafrips before they buy it. I'm sure it's not for everyone -- there are negative reviews out there. The delay isn't an issue for me because I'm using it on an audio-only setup. It's been a game changer for me, though. I've never heard digital sound so much like analog before. I took a chance because there were so many reviews, and they all recommended it based on characteristics that appeal to me. I also figured that if I really didn't like it or didn't think it was worth the investment, I wouldn't have any trouble unloading it for nearly what I paid.

Before the Denafrips I was probably listening to 70% vinyl, 30% digital. Since it arrived, it's more like 90% digital, 10% vinyl. Some of that is a honeymoon effect, and some of it is just working my way through my CD collection to hear how it handles different albums, but digital and vinyl compare pretty evenly on my system now. I don't think I realized how much digital fatigue affected me before, but I can listen to this thing all day.

Now I want a Pontus, of course, but I'm not going to be going there, at least not in the short term.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

And now a word from a low/midfi guy with Classic iPod.

My cheap Yamaha receiver has a built in Dac. The button options are "Straight", "Music Enhancer 2 channel" or "Music Enh 5 channel", but in the brochure they do call it a built in Dac.

As cheap as it is, it is more noticeable compared to my 2 channel Marantz receiver that doesn't have one.

Please don't hate on me...... :targettiphat:

22. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

I just got an Ares II and I'm experiencing the same. I rarely listened to digital in my system and usually listened to vinyl bit since getting thr Ares I haven't spun a LP yet

It sounds wonderful and the ease of just clicking and switching versus flipping and changing LPs is nice.

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Do consider optimizing your digital playback before going all in on a DAC upgrade. I've got a NUC as a dedicated server (Linux/ROCK), but my DMS 700 is a network player ("Roon end point"). One can spend more on an Aurender or the like and likely get a nice bump in sound quality, but you are testing the waters at this point. I'm not sure which inputs are best on your DAC but choose accordingly.

24. Brentendo

Brentendo Active Member

I currently have the schiit Gumby, and a Topping D90 and honestly I haven’t compared them directly in the same system so I can’t help there. But I can say that it, in my headphone setup is a lot of fun. The topping is used in my speaker setup because I wanted to ensure I was hearing the speakers and have as little coloration as I could find at good prices.

timind and three_paws like this.
  25. russk

russk Forum Resident

I’m pretty much sold on the Chord Qutest as the best DAC out there now for my tastes. It’s got weight and good tone, while still giving you plenty of detail. Based on the DACs I’ve heard, if you want more you’ll end up in tubes or with a DAC that in an objective sense is broken.

timind, three_paws and h1pst3r88 like this.