"Daisy Jones & the Six" upcoming Prime Series about a fictional Fleetwood Mac-like band (03/03/2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, I'm 100% for LGBTQ rights and all that stuff, but I felt this aspect of Daisy Jones felt kind of "pasted on," just to feel hip and happening and to get more diversity into the show. To me, diversity (for all races and sexes and so on) has to happen naturally in the story, not like it's done in such a way to make Human Resources happy. For the record, I'm very "Aware" (I don't like the word "woke"), and I'm sensitive to foreign-born people, people of color, people of all sexual persuasions, and even people with different political ideology. As a guy once said, "can't we all just get along?"

Ah, this explains some shortcomings and problems in the show.

I'm all the way to the finale tonight, and I've been yelling, "MY GOD! THAT'S BAD DIALOGUE!" and "THAT IS SO LAME!" on a regular basis. Very cliched, predictable, very by rote.

But ya know... I kinda like the music, and Riley Keough is compelling. I'm fascinated by the fact that her mother (Lisa Marie Presley) died just weeks before the show premiered... which almost seems like she was upset that that the world was going to see that her daughter had more singing talent and was about to get much more famous with her own career.

2. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I get your point but the show is literally called "Daisy Jones and The Six". Its the most basic premise of the show.

3. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Thank You for posting this--not only does it look interesting as a fast-paced road trip/slice-of-life affair, but it's more enticing for Riley as this is a 180 from Her work in D.J. & The Six.

- siyt

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I haven't seen her in much, but she really does look she'll have the serious acting career that her grandfather's pursuit of was thwarted.

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I feel exactly the same way as you and @leemelone. I was watching with two other people and we felt that whole subplot, along with the Greece excursion with Daisy, almost derailed the show. Fortunately, they got back around to the main story.

Indeed, I doubt I would have even checked this show out without Riley Keough's participation.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The show finds a clever way of explaining why the are “The Six” when there are only five of them. You must have missed that part. Also, even though she’s not in the band, you could count Camilla as being the unofficial sixth member. She is also instrumental in getting Daisy to join the band, especially as far as Billy is concerned.

Vidiot, RSteven and steelinYaThighs like this.
  7. steelinYaThighs

This was especially key; "Cammi" was a bit like spiritual glue that kept Them together in the early days, especially when They were first scraping by Their first couple years in L.A.

- siyt

Rocketdog and RSteven like this.
  8. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I saw the Fairfield Four opening for John Fogerty and people were laughing (until they started singing!) because there were, I think at the time, five of them. All of whom may been blind, I can’t remember.

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I couldn’t help seeing the parallel of the character Daisy the day after her overdose looking ashen and seeing photos of her real life Mom Lisa Marie also looking the same color around the time just before she died. This was just before or after the Golden Globes.

10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Not to mention Ben Folds Five, when there are only three of them. It’s the same logic/joke.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

AA5742C4-60B1-4828-9859-0AE87A166B9D.jpeg

So, just finished all of it today.

I watched the entire thing for two reasons. Silly reasons but I'm glad I made the effort.

First reason, all the teenage girls on TikTok sobbing about the last episode for days, I felt I better dive in.

Second reason, my oldest is in it! Several times, background. The scene in episode 1 at the school track, that's my kid running by. Was filmed at Van Nuys High School back in 2021. We were still all masked up and it took an entire day just to film that track scene. My kid wasn't 18 yet so I had to be there with him. It was fun being on the set and everyone on the crew and production team was pumped that they were going to create something unique. They gladly explained the entire series to us and it sounded really cool.

I think they did a great job. Any show that has amazing music played by real people and fantastic oldies that the kids of today might hear for the first time is fine with me. And that Patti Smith "Dancing Barefoot" opener is just killer.

And, oh, "Gold Dust Woman," that was in episode 9 was truly surprising, but it was the perfect song for the show. The kids on TikTok mostly realize the connection so that's pretty neat..

12. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

I just finished it and it's entertaining, but a throwaway, just like that book. I read the book right after it came out and it's absolutely a "beach read." All this talk about releasing an album and possibly taking the band on the road is the show taking itself too seriously. The original music didn't leave much of an impression on me. The part I enjoyed most was Simone becoming a disco queen in NYC.

Mylene likes this.
  13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

For me Camila (Camila Marrone) was the star of the show, beautiful actress playing one of the most cliched roles in Hollywood, the long suffering wife.
    Billy (Sam Clafin) was one of the biggest assholes I’ve ever seen on a tv show, so great acting by Sam.
    Hope Riley goes on to do more.

14. Old Fart At Play

The show doesn’t mention if Billy continued making music after the band ended. Does the book address that?

15. Old Fart At Play

If there’s money to be made from doing a tour, they’ll do a tour. The cast of the “Nashville” TV show did a tour, too. It’s not about taking itself too seriously, it’s about making money.

Rocketdog and RSteven like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She is a real talent -- both vocally and as an actor. Really good in the show. I hope she does more.

Will Harrison also stood out to me -- he has an interesting presence. I thought Sam Claflin as the co-star (basically the "Lindsay Buckingham" to Riley Keough's "Stevie Nicks") was much too old for the part. He seemed like he was 35, but I could believe everybody else as being in their early-to-mid-20's. But maybe it's me. (In real life he's 37 and is the oldest cast member.) I was amazed to find out that Claflin is a Brit -- his American accent was damn near perfect.

17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Whatever generation it created, I found it rather disappointing.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

No I mentioned the fact that they found a way to explain it in my original post about the differences between the book and the series. You must have missed that part.

19. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Yes. In the book Billy goes on to write songs for other people.

20. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I must admit that after watching that episode I put on my copy of Rumours that you mastered. It's still my favorite version of that album in any format. :righton:

21. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Well finished it up last night, all in all it was a fun ride, I enjoyed it a lot, Riley was great and carried the show

There’s gonna be a Season 2 right. Can’t leave it hanging like that

steelinYaThighs and RSteven like this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

For those wishing Riley will do more, this was her 38th acting gig per IMDB.

Steve Litos, Rocketdog and RSteven like this.
  23. steelinYaThighs

In theory, I like the idea of a Season 2, but I’d prefer it not come to pass as S1 ended perfectly.

How would Season 2 look? Would The Six be starting off in the late 90s with Their own version of THE DANCE that gets Them back into the spotlight and running through the duration of the season towards Their own SAY YOU WILL?

Intriguing, but it might be better to leave well enough alone.

- siyt

24. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

He’s turning into a fine actor, if not one already. That’s also a beautiful pic upthread from our host. Might have to suspend my cynicism about this show and give it a watch…..

RSteven likes this.
  25. Old Fart At Play

A Season 2 seems unnecessary. It could be okay, but I hope they don't do it. It's hard to imagine how it wouldn't be more of the same. If it's going to be interesting, there has to be some drama, and what more drama could they come up with that wasn't already in the first season? And by the time they got scripts written, new songs composed, filmed it, edited it, etc., we're talking what, two years from now, minimum, before it would air? I think the audience would have moved on by that point. This isn't "Stranger Things" or "Black Mirror" where people would be waiting with bated breath for new episodes. And Riley Keough could be a bigger star at that point, potentially making it strange to see her back in an early role.

RSteven likes this.