"Daisy Jones & the Six" upcoming Prime Series about a fictional Fleetwood Mac-like band (03/03/2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There's two approaches that producers have taken that worked (at least for me):

One is to find existing songs by talented songwriters that weren't hits, but could have been.

The movie Camp, about a summer camp for theater kids featured a character playing a legendary Broadway songwriter, analogous to Stephen Sondheim (who had an enjoyable cameo appearance in the film).

They featured a couple of my favorite songs by two of my favorite songwriters, Century Plant by Victoria Williams and For The Want of a Nail by Todd Rundgren, as unreleased songs by the songwriter that the kids discover in his trunk.

The other approach, used in the movie Grace of My Heart, a heavily fictionalized story about someone who had a life much like a young Carole King who writes songs for a Phil Spector like character and falls in love with someone quite a bit like Brian Wilson.

In that case, one of the approaches they took was to approach classic songwriters and get them to write new songs in their classic style, like Gerry Goffin and Burt Bacharach.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She was terrific in Zola.

RSteven likes this.
  3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I listened to the audiobook which used different actors for each of the characters. This worked because the story was told oral history-style. As for the story itself, I thought some of it was quite compelling while other parts dragged on a bit. If they have casted this well it should at least be entertaining.

RSteven likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Rated R for sexual situations, language and depictions of doing enough coke to kill a herd of elephants.

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

SuntoryTime likes this.
  6. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

There are a few other ones. Velvet Goldmine did a nice job of using actual songs from that time, mixed in with the stars of the movie covering actual songs of the time, and a few original songs featuring the stars singing the songs. A choppy movie, to be sure, but the music made it a lot more bearable.

Then there was a movie, like Still Crazy, where they got Chris Difford of Squeeze to write lyrics for songs composed by Foreigner's Mick Jones (among others) to replicate what an early to mid 70s hard rock band would have sounded like. I never see this movie mentioned as a jewel in the crown for Bill Nighy's acting career, but he stole the show as the vain (but sincere) lead singer of a faded, aged rock band staging a ragged reunion tour. Of course, Almost Famous followed a similar (and successful) formula with Nancy Wilson and Peter Frampton pitching in to write authentic-sounding songs. (Kudos to Cameron Crowe for getting Zep to license the "Rain Song" for what I'm certain was a bargain fee because of his past relationship with the band.)

My favorite, though, wasn't even a 70s-based movie. Stephen Trask's music for John Cameron Mitchell's musical (and then movie) Hedwig and the Angry Inch perfectly replicates a 70s sound with songs that sound as good as original hits from the time. I vastly prefer the original musical to the movie, but they're both pretty damn good from a musical standpoint.

These are some of my favorites over the years. There aren't many that can pull this off!

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

905 and RSteven like this.
  8. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

On Ep. 3. So far, it’s been a stellar ride. Riley Keough is nailing the “Daisy Jones” (Stevie Nicks) part, and the characters have been cast well. In terms of visuals, kudos to the wardrobe crew and the production designer(s): they got the cars, the clothes, and the vernacular just right. Likewise, the mood of the times was captured perfectly.

Timothy Olyphant is great as the greasy tour promoter—rockin’ a Johnny Wadd look with the hair and the ‘stache.

Suki Waterhouse SHINES as “Karen Sirko.” She’s got the Christine McVie/Songbird feel down pat.

- siyt

9. KevinRio

KevinRio Senior Member

I enjoyed the book - looking forward to this!

905, faceinthecrowd and RSteven like this.
  10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Wife and I are two episodes in and enjoying it very much so far. I keep discussing the parallels between Daisy & the six and Fleetwood Mac. We also understand that Daisy & the six is fictional and only "inspired" by Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac. Wife got me to stop thinking about the similarities and accept the fictional story and enjoy.

11. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

It can't be that much like Fleetwood Mac if they think Lindsey Buckingham would agree to be in a band called "Stevie Nicks & Co".

12. Veggie Boy

That's right. I think Stevie Nicks was insecure about her talent in reality and was riding with Lindsey prior to and upon joining Fleetwood Mac which is contrary to what I expect to see in the Daisy series. After all it was Lindsey's guitar skills that led to being recruited by Fleetwood Mac and it only happened on the condition that Stevie could join too.

altaeria and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. Veggie Boy

To further illustrate Stevie's insecurity, think about the song The Chain (great song) in that John McVie presented a really good bass line ending to a song but needed a front end and some lyrics. Lindsey knew he could do the front end but wasn't sure about lyrics. Stevie sheepishly presented her lyrics she previously wrote about her troubles with her relationship with Lindsey. Lindsey kind of rolled his eyes but acknowledges he could work with these.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Threw me off a bit how quickly the Billy character goes down the tubes in only the second episode when the band has barely made an impact and is on its first tour. Sure it can happen but the character goes full on Jim Morrison and they ain’t the Doors.
    Other than that it’s a very decent show (with Almost Famous) vibes that worth a watch.

Doggiedogma and Willowman like this.
  15. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I watched the first three episodes and as someone who was there, I think they're doing a great job recreating the 70s vibe. Casting actors who can actually sing and play gives it an authenticity that a lot of these types of things lack. Having actual songs from the 70's by the original artists as the sound track is a great move that helps set the mood. And to be clear, this is not a Fleetwood Mac biopic even if three of the characters were inspired stylistically by Buckingham, Nicks and Christine McVie . The story is about a band that is forced by their producer to add a singer-songwriter in an attempt to become a bigger and better band. They get what they want but as always, there's a big price to pay. So far, so good. :righton:

RSteven, pghmusiclover and Veggie Boy like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

Are all 10 episodes available now?

905 likes this.
  17. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

No. They dropped the first three and then I think it's going to be a new one every Friday.

JohnG, 905, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  18. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

I read Malibu Rising and thought the same. I had Daisy on my reading list but dropped it after barely finishing Malibu Rising.

I'll watch the episodes. Hope the drama and 70's vibes/recreations keep me interested.

19. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

Watched Ep 1 last night and liked it. This sort of story much better suited to screen than book. I have liked how the series incorporates the 70s music scene vibe etc. Quality light entertainment.

pghmusiclover and RSteven like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Some reviews

Daisy Jones & the Six review – not even Elvis’s grandkid can save this 70s rock’n’roll saga - The Guardian

'Daisy Jones & the Six' turns a fictional band into a four-star soap opera | CNN

‘Daisy Jones & the Six,’ rocking through the ’70s with rote emotions - Washington Post

From the Post:

"The music really is fun, but on most of these other fronts, “Daisy Jones & the Six” fails. The politics of the period are surgically stripped out, the dialogue feels quite contemporary, and a subplot featuring the adventures in queer love and disco of Daisy’s best friend Simone (Nabiyah Be) feels conscientiously grafted on. Most of the actors don’t capture what young stardom looks or feels like, being both a little too old to play avatars of youth culture and far too young to sell the older versions of themselves in the retrospectives. If Sam Claflin is convincingly soulful and charismatic as Billy, it’s because he looks like he’s
    lived. And while he and Keough sizzle when they sing together — this is the main reason to watch — Keough doesn’t quite command the stage or the spotlight on her own. The series narrates the effect Daisy has on audiences without fully producing it."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  21. JohnG

That’s the one thing I really noticed, some of actors are older than what fresh faced young musicians starting out would look like at that point. But it’s a small quibble.

BluesOvertookMe and Double E like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

I really enjoyed the first two episodes and will watch the third tomorrow! Riley is quite good and I will definitely check into her filmography after this. I am also intrigued by Suki -- I know she released an album last year that I am going to investigate further!

SuntoryTime, 905 and RSteven like this.
  23. JohnG

We watched episode 3 tonight and it upped the game, nice scene when Billy and Daisy finally meet and begin to sing together.

RSteven likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

I haven't made it to that episode yet, but I like the way the story is building to get those two together!

RSteven likes this.
  25. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Daisy Jones & the Six
    surprised this hits 74% on RT
    I thought this was horrible

And I was really put-off
    with Riley making the promotional rounds
    so soon after her mother passed

Also talking about how great cocaine is , in the LA Times interview
    really was a turn-off to me
    considering her families history with addiction issue