Dallas/Fort Worth/Garland, TX CD Stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StyxCollector, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in town this week ...

2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'll probably get something tossed at me by my fellow D/FW members (for revealing our 'secret' ;) ), but CD Source, at N.E. corner of Lovers and Greenville is the ultimate place in town for used CDs. They often get several hundred new ones in every day, and many OOP titles. Prices for used discs are very reasonable too.

4. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

You're right ... I am looking for something to throw at you right now ;) ... CD Source is not as good as it used (too many "loose lips") ... but I haven't found anything better ... and I have looked ...

5. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

If you are looking them up in the phone book ... be sure and call to make sure that they are still open ... there is probably one listed in Garland on Jupiter ... can't remember the name ... but it went out of business about a month ago ...

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think you're reffering to Groovenet. Not much of a place anymore, better for mail order.

Ya, nothing better that I've come across either. Once in a while I'll find some nuggets at CD World in Addison, but their stock doesn't turn nearly as fast as CD Source.

7. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

I had some good CD finds at Bill's Records a few years ago. They have vinyl too, but I didn't check it out when I was there.

8118 Spring Valley Rd. Dallas, TX 75240
    972-234-1496
    http://www.billsrecords.com/

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A warning about Bill's. Nothing is marked with a price. So, you have to take it to Bill (only) and he has to tell you the price, based on his 'mood'. A terrible way to do business, IMO.

9. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

It's true--it wasn't the most comfortable place I'd ever been in. But I found some good stuff there, and it's definitely "old school"--for better or worse.

10. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

- I'll second the Forever Young recommendation. Picked up the DCC Harry disc the last time I was there.
    - You might try Good Records, 617 N Good Latimer Expy, (214) 752-4663. The website says it all.
    - If you have time for a trip north to Denton, Recycled Books, Records, & CDs is a treasure trove. Being near both two colleges and the area's only functioning jazz radio station means Recycled ends up with a lot of obscurities and promos. In times past, I've picked up a mint copy of Cecil Taylor In Berlin '88, all the Italian CAM Dolby Surround CDs at $5.98 a piece, and stuff from labels like Little Wing, Eremite, and PSF that you won't find in any other store in the Metroplex.
    - There's nothing here in Fort Worth. :cry:

11. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

This is the other place I was trying to remember. I'll second the recommendation on this one. Lots of CDs, with the occasional gem in there (and a more comfortable, straightforward environment than Bill's).

This thread is really making me want to go visit my Denton friends again! :)

12. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

Before we all graduated college - most of us anyway :) - I had a lot of friends that went to UNT. There is - was? - another place in Denton called "The X" or "CD-X." Definitely had an "X" in the name. They had a few good buys, too. Still the only place I've seen the Mummies on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.