Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's possible that it could be released as a bonus disc for a limited edition future re-release of High Country Snows? However, Sony Records didn't consider Live At Carnegie Hall feasible, so I doubt it.

Hep Alien and Ralph Sidway like this.
  2. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jean Fogelberg just announced on facebook that Joe Walsh recorded Part Of The Plan for the forthcoming tribute album/CD and that he got the rest of the Eagles to add backing vocals/harmonies. Great news!

Thomas

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. Ralph Sidway

Ralph Sidway Forum Resident

Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  4. Ralph Sidway

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for updates!

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

BTW the first Fool's Gold album is out on CD in the UK. I picked up a copy for $8 at Amoeba today. I've got an old LP but it stinks due to excessive wear.

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's a great album, isn't it?

It's a interesting what if that had Fool's Gold had become a huge success - and they certainly had the songs & the chops - Tom Kelly might not have formed a partnership with Billy Steinberg & many other bands might have had lesser careers.

Looking forward to hearing them on the tribute album.

Ralph Sidway and pdenny like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've enjoyed the Florence Warner covers on the thread but can't find any of her records on CD.

Anybody know if it's available?

10. FallsCity48

FallsCity48 Forum Resident

Florence Warner.... my nightingale!!!! (or as Buffett would call her "Bambi").:laugh:
    Florence, during the early Fogelberg days in Nashville would be one of "all Quad's children". a name coined for artists/people who would hang out at Quadrafonic Sound Studio in Nashville [David Briggs & Norbert's (Putnam) studio]......wished I could still fit into my T-shirt :(
    Florence was a fantastic talent....it is a tragedy that her career did not reach the heights of her abilities.
    She would collaborated many times (many times not referenced) with Dan & Norbert thru the years
    Florence had 3 albums.....
    "Florence Warner" (1974)
    "Another Hot Night" (1981)
    "Just Believe It" (1982)
    Unfortunately none were put out on CD.
    Florence would later have have a great career TV commercials & would cover many of Dan's songs (here's a few)........

Song from Half Mountain

Anyway I love You
    Anyway I love you

Drawing Pictures (Dan wrote this about 1972 IIRC)
    Drawing Pictures

On a side note....Dan wrote "Song from Half Mountain" when he got stranded in Colorado in route from Illinois to LA.:laugh::laugh: One of his best stories......
    Irv (Azoff) & Dan hatch the plan to head to Los Angeles were Dan would meet up with Azoff & find a label for Dan. Azoff gave Fogelberg $200 for the trip west but Dan ran out of money in Estes Park, Co. (don't how he ran out of money halfway....that was a lot of money back then....he never said :laugh:). Dan stayed for a week in the Estes Park area while waiting for Azoff to wire him more cash. While there, he fell in love with the area & wrote many songs including "Song from Half Mountain" during a hike in the mountains. And YES!! He really did leave a bottle for us to find!!

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great post!

Really appreeciate the Florence info (I'll have to track down the vinyl - the clips are lovely) and the stories about Dan, Many thanks!

longdist01 and Ralph Sidway like this.
  12. Ralph Sidway

Has anyone yet found the bottle? Scavenger hunt! :agree:

keyXVII, carlwm and Hep Alien like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a shame he couldn't have etched out more time and recorded the entire plan, but I guess even part is better than nothing.

14. FallsCity48

FallsCity48 Forum Resident

I remember we were talking one day & the subject turned to the time he was "stranded" in Estes Park. He said he was lucky to fined a guy who ran a hotel in the Estes Park area & let him stay there till the money arrived. With nothing to do, he spent his time hiking & as he put it "soaking up the scenery". He had a truck that he was using on the journey to LA but I never asked had he had run out of gas or running low in Estes Park. The truck must have been low for Half Mountain is about 13 miles from Estes Park which would be quite a haul for a inexperienced hiker :agree:. Nevertheless he said he sat down to rest & spotted a bottle during the hike which he thought was odd being in what he thought was pristine wilderness. The mountains & wilderness had a calming, cleansing effect on him for one has to realize that here is a 19/20 year old kid (sorry Dan) that has quite school & left home on a 2000 mile journey on the promise of a new acquaintance & was now broke & stranded. Anyway he said he put the note in the bottle & left it on top of Half Mountain. He later finished the song in LA.

When I was in Denver to attended Dan's induction to the Colorado Music HOF in August, I spent my 1st day in Estes Park in memory of Dan's trip.
    The next day I/we spent retracing the old haunts in the Nederland, Caribou Ranch & Gold Hill areas with photographer Daniel Mainzer (Joe Walsh Barnstorm etc) & friends.
    It is so easy to see how this area can inspire great music.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  15. Ralph Sidway

This dates back to late January on the official DF site, but important to share: Jean Fogelberg has posted the following regarding Live at Carnegie Hall:

Fresh Batch of CDs
    We sold out faster than expected, but a brand new batch of "Live At Carnegie Hall" CDs are being made and will be sent to Amazons worldwide. Also, the new batch will have the "Sketches" mistake fixed. Thank you for your patience!​

You'll remember there were unsightly dimples/blemishes on the cardboard of the original CD packaging last year, and that 'Sketches' was repeated (!), with the sequencing and times for the last three songs of Disc 1 completely messed up as a result (!!!). Glad to hear the second pressing happened so quickly, and that these minor flaws have been corrected!

lemonade kid, ispace, keyXVII and 2 others like this.
  16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I remember reading that whenever Dan was in Colorado, he wrote songs inspired by the beauty of Maine, and while in Maine, songs about beautiful Colorado. Absence makes the heart grow indeed.

Ralph Sidway, Subvet and ispace like this.
  17. Ralph Sidway

Announced Aug 21, 2018 on the Official DF site: Libe at Carnegie Hall will. E released as a 3-LP collector's edition. Standard black vinyl, gatefold filled with photos, Dan's drawings, and more; plain white sleeves:
    https://www.danfogelberg.com/

18. ispace

ispace Senior Member

The packaging on this looks great but I'm happy with my CD. I do wonder how much demand there is for an LP pressing of this? I guess it would match a nice vinyl collection of his original albums. I like the advice on the website: "Even if you aren't an LP collector, this set will be fun to peruse as you listen to your CD."

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  19. timw

timw Senior Member

Thanks for posting this announcement Ralph. I just added my name to the list. $35 for this 3lp set isn't bad at all. I hope they get a lot of interest/requests for it.

longdist01, Ralph Sidway and ispace like this.
  20. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Ralph Sidway

[​IMG]

An October 12 update on the official DF site by Jean Fogelberg offers a delightful array of accounts of Dan in the studio, and the announcement of an inspired new CD package (with photos) for the re-release of The First Christmas Morning, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year:

https://www.danfogelberg.com/christmas-cd-20-year-update

Enjoy!

Hep Alien, timw, ispace and 2 others like this.
  22. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

A beautifully recorded Christmas album.

23. Ralph Sidway

Delightful reminiscences from Jean Fogelberg, with a winter story from Dan, and some great photos, on the 11th anniversary of his repose:
    https://www.danfogelberg.com/winter-memories

Though it's a sad day, December 16 is perhaps at last taking on the hues of a winter holiday, an opportunity to reflect on and give thanks for this gifted soul who has so enriched our lives with his music. May his memory be eternal!

24. det061

det061 New Member

Is that the house Dan bought from Chris Hillman? I'll be in that area soon and would to drive by to see it. What's the address?

25. Ralph Sidway

[​IMG]

All quiet on the Fogelberg front lately. But this evening, clicking around, I came across Norbert Putnam's website. Putnam had a great career as bassist and producer in the music biz in the 1970s and 80s (and beyond), and exerted massive influence in the Nashville sound of that era. He worked with Dan on Home Free (producer), Nether Lands (co-producer), and Phoenix (co-producer), and was a major factor in the success of the Dan Fogelberg Tribute CD, listed with co-producer credits.

Putnam's website home page gives a brief overview of his career, and there is a photo of him and Dan in the studio, plus other photos and a discography. The 'Press' section provides what seems to be a chapter from his book (see below), a great tale of working with Elvis in the studio.
    Norbert Putnam Official Website

He recently (2018) released his first book, reflecting on his years in the industry. You can order signed copies of Putnam's book, Music Lessons: A Musical Memoir, here:
    Whitman Books | Music Lessons: A Musical Memoir - AUTOGRAPHED COPY