Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ralph Sidway

Ralph Sidway Forum Resident

... and, since I'm here and posting, my hope for future official DF releases would be a solo-acoustic series from his later years, plus a couple of concert video/CD releases:

(1) Live at the Ryman Theatre in Nashville, 1997, from his landmark concert there towards the end of his 25th Anniversary Tour in support of the boxed set, Portrait. I was present, and it was an excellent show. I saw him three times on that tour, and he was always in fine form, but at the Ryman he really seemed deeply moved by the history of the place, and a CD or Digital release of that show would serve as a nice bookend to the Live at Carnegie Hall from twenty years earlier.

(2) Live at Red Rocks - I have two recordings from Dan's Red Rocks shows, a solo-acoustic in 2000, and full band in 2002, and they are both great, with devoted crowds. With his induction into the Red Rocks Hall of Fame, a double CD combining the best of these two shows would be a treasure for DF fans.

(3) Live at the Capitol Theatre (with Fool's Gold), (release in both CD & digital video) - You've probably seen this on YouTube (though a quick check reveals some uploads have been removed on copyright grounds!). A great example of Dan's gifts and stagecraft in the early years of his career.

(3) Possible concert video from The Innocent Age Tour? - This was at the pinnacle of his career, full band tour with a great lineup. There is concert footage of Dan's show from The Summit in Houston, but the source video is horrible, with stretched video tape later in the concert. Dan's voice gives out mid-way, and he resorts to more instrumentals to rest his voice in between. (See The Last Nail, full band, amazing!) But we can hope that some of the other larger arenas also provided Jumbotron footage, which might have been saved and archived, and now in Jean Fogelberg's possession. Then again, if there had been good video from this tour, might not Sony have released it prior to Greetings From The West? In other words, don't get your hopes up!

That's all for now, friends. Blessed Easter to everyone, and let's hope for some DF surprises "along the road."

Bill007, Alan57, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I'm hoping with all of my heart that Live At Carnegie Hall won't be the last Dan Fogelberg release that his fans will ever get to enjoy. That would really be a damn shame, as his accomplished and impressive musical legacy deserves more attention as well as a reappraisal. Personally, I would especially love for Sony (or another label) to release the concert from The summit in Houston, Texas, on CD, preferably coupled with a DVD of that live performance. I discovered the concert footage on YouTube a few years ago and despite the terrible sound & visual quality you can really tell that Dan (and his band) was on fire that night. The live renditions of "The Last Nail", "Crow", "Empty Cages", etc., are simply fantastic. Dan's electric guitar solo on "Empty Cages" is blistering and breathtaking (4:10-8:10).

Keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Record Rotator

Another great performance from the concert in Houston, Texas, 1982.

carlwm and Ralph Sidway like this.
  4. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

There are a lot of unreleased songs, too, from what I’ve gathered from this forum. These studio recordings would be first on my wish list. I’ve always expected them to come out, but perhaps they never will.

5. Ralph Sidway

Hi friends...

I visited over at LivingLegacy.net fan site to see if they had anything new, and was shocked to learn that Deb Jelinek had died back in March. I knew her pretty well, and she was for many years a major force in advancing Dan's musical legacy. She was more than a mere fan, and her love for Dan's music inspired her to rise above the crowds to play an active role in nurturing the online DanFan community from the late 1990s on. Especially after Dan Fogelberg's death in 2007, Deb was the driving force behind getting that DanFan community to meet in person and create some beautiful, physical monuments and tributes to the great singer-songwriter and artist we all love.

A gifted artist and web designer in her own right, not only did she run the fan site Living Legacy, but for a time she designed and maintained the official DF website. She was a co-founder of the Fogelberg Foundation of Peoria, and the prime mover behind the Dan Fogelberg Memorial Celebration Weekends which began in 2010 in Peoria and were held there annually until 2016, when they held the event in Dan's adopted state of Maine, and 2017 in Nashville. Deb was instrumental in the effort to design and install the DF Monument at the Peoria Riverfront Park, and in subsequent years through her work with the FFoP worked to secure the monument's permanence through enhancements and a retaining wall. You can explore images of the DF Monument, Celebration Weekends, and Tribute Concerts at the FFoP site.

I got to work with her on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 Celebrations, donating many of my DF collectibles for the Fogelberg Foundation of Peoria annual fundraising auctions. Deb was a beautiful soul, very generous and encouraging, and we kept in touch and corresponded off and on through last year. I had been thinking of her recently, and was checking her Living Legacy site before reaching out to see how she was...

Please offer a prayer for her soul, and for her husband Jon...

[​IMG]

Deborah Lynn (Jeter) Jelinek

December 13, 1957 ~ March 25, 2019

It's with a heavy heart that we must inform you all of the passing of Deb Jelinek, founder of the Living Legacy website, facilitator of the Dan Fogelberg memorial weekends, and President and Co-Founder of the Fogelberg Foundation of Peoria. She passed away in March after a brief illness. Deborah is survived by her husband of 40 years, Jon D. Jelinek and their beloved pets, Mister Botts and Brandy, of Sealy, Texas.

The Living Legacy of Dan Fogelberg

6. Record Rotator

Hi. Now that we have Live At Carnegie Hall, do you know if there are any other future Fogelberg projects?

Ralph Sidway and ispace like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Condolences to her family and friends. She sounds like a lovely person.

Ralph Sidway and Mooserfan like this.
  8. Ralph Sidway

She was, indeed...

Somehow I had missed this on the official DF website, but here it is as a follow up to my earlier post:

RIP Deb Jelinek

We are very sad to report the sudden passing of Deb Jelinek on March 25th.

Deb sent out the Living Legacy/Dan Fogelberg Newsletters for many years, and we will do our best to maintain Deb's high standards as we now take it on.

Please bear with us during this transition.

March 25th, 2019

On July 2, 2003 Deb Jelinek finally got to meet her idol, Dan Fogelberg, backstage after a concert. Thirty minutes to hang out with the man she had dedicated her life to honoring may not sound like much, but it meant the world to her.

In the early days of the web Deb had a website, thelivinglegacy.net. When we needed a place to post information on the web, Dan and I decided to give that information to Deb, because she didn't have a gossipy forum on her site like some of the other sites. Eventually I learned website design and Dan and I created danfogelberg.com. By then, Deb and I had become friends and stayed in touch - we were both self-taught website designers and often shared programming problems and solutions, and Deb sent out our joint newsletters.

When Dan was diagnosed with cancer, Deb collected well-wishes from thousands of fans on her website, printed them in a huge album, and sent them to Dan, which was a great comfort to him. After Dan died, Deb had an idea to bring fans together to celebrate him in Peoria and from that idea the memorial site, a foundation, and many good friendships evolved.

Deb passed away today from complications from pulmonary edema. Her wonderful husband Jon kept her friends informed from the day she was taken to the hospital ten days ago and our thoughts are with him now, during this most shocking and painful time.

Rest in peace, Deb.

~ Jean Fogelberg​

Runicen, carlwm and ispace like this.
  9. Ralph Sidway

[​IMG]

On the brighter side, it's especially nice to think back two years and note that 'Live at Carnegie Hall' actually hit the Billboard Charts, peaking at #71 on Top Album Sales on June 10, 2017! *

Now, two years on, Jean Fogelberg posted on June 11 on the official DF site that 'Live at Carnegie Hall' ad sold out yet again at Amazon, and that another order has been placed. That ongoing success bodes well, IMO, for the release of future DF live albums and treasures from the vaults.

* Dan's final studio album, 'Love In Time' also made the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart, on October 10, 2009, reaching #117. That was the first Dan Fogelberg album to chart since River of Souls in October 1993 at #174.

10. Ralph Sidway

VERY hopeful!

11. Ralph Sidway

So glad you posted these. I had forgotten how good the Summit 1982 show was. Best live version of The Last Nail I've heard.

Bill007, Record Rotator and carlwm like this.
  12. Record Rotator

It's great to read that Live At Carnegie Hall has sold out yet again. It will soon be back in print.

13. Ralph Sidway

There is a relatively new channel on YouTube called Colorado Music Experience; they started posting videos 11 months ago, and clearly are drawing on both the Red Rocks Hall of Fame, the Colorado Music HOF, and other sources. These are mini-documentaries (typically around 8 minutes), with music excerpts, video clips, stills and overarching narrative. Great collection of artists featured, including Joe Walsh, Stephen Stills and Manassas, Poco, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and, off course, Dan Fogelberg:

hifisoup, Runicen, carlwm and 5 others like this.
  14. Ralph Sidway

Their official website is excellent. Amazing content, including the videos, an incredible lineup of podcasts, a blog, and artist profiles, of course with Dan Fogelberg. (Dan's profile pretty much duplicates the script for the video mini-doc, so if you want a transcript, that is where to look.)

Amazingly, the blog and podcasts do NOT duplicate the video content, and each media section has an almost completely different lineup of stories and artists represented. This is an excellent music site with unbelievable content! I could spend hours here... and probably will! And, they're only a year old, so much more to come, I would wager.

Enjoy!

15. Ralph Sidway

...and, in more internet posting news, I came across this video on Jean Fogelberg's Facebook page, covering the early years of Dan's career, with The Coachmen in his teen years:

16. Record Rotator

Thanks for posting this YouTube video, Ralph, I appreciate it. Let's keep this thread and Dan's legacy alive.

Ralph Sidway and carlwm like this.
  17. Ralph Sidway

Thanks. I wish I could do more, but am incredibly busy these days. But I do what I can.

One of my favorite live Dan Fogelberg videos is of a performance he did of Bones In The Sky in the early 1990s (soon after the release of his album, The Wild Places) on a show called Spotlight Colorado, broadcast live by the A&E Channel, backed by a full orchestra. Longtime bandmate Robert McEntee accompanies on classical guitar to provide the tasteful fills from the album. I have a bootleg compilation of many of Dan's TV appearances, and from the notes, we know that he also performed Leader of the Band on the same broadcast, hopefully some others as well, but I have been unable to find any further info on it.

I sent all the info I had to A&E's contact info, asking them to see about releasing the concert as a digital download or something, and they sent me a very encouraging reply that they were going to have their team look into it. I also gave them the contact info I have for Jean Fogelberg... We live in hope! Here's the video, from a very poor source, likely a 3rd of 4th gen copy of VHS:

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's great! A wonderful performance of an excellent song.

Many thanks for contacting the company about an official release. Think I'll do the same. If they get the idea that there are a few fans that are really keen, it might spur them into action.

19. Ralph Sidway

Record Rotator and carlwm like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's brilliant. Saves me a job!

Thanks! :righton:

Record Rotator likes this.
  21. Record Rotator

Spotify just added a Dan Fogelberg live performance from 1976 (Songs From Santa Monica). Second-rate sound quality, but the concert features the wonderful, unreleased acoustic Folk song "What In The World".

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm not on Spotify but I'd never heard this tune and have just found it on Youtube. Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. :righton:

As I was looking, I found an terrific version of The Outlaw, played live on a TV show called Nashville Now, featuring all the great and good who played on High Country Snows. I had no idea that Dan managed to snag them all for touring purposes. It's a real super group:

Chris Hillman - bass
    Russ Kunkel - drums
    Herb Pedersen - banjo
    David Grisman - mandolin
    Jerry Douglas - dobro
    Al Perkins - guitar
    Paul Harris - piano (the only one not on the album, I think)

I would love to hear a full show from this line-up!

23. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I'm interested in "Live, Greetings From The West". How is that set in terms of performance and sound quality? Thanks very much

Ralph Sidway and carlwm like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't know much about the technical stuff, DQs and all that malarky) but just going on the evidence of my ears, it sounds terrific.

It feels properly live with Dan occasionally sounding slightly husky without ever failing to deliver the tunes. There are also a couple of excellent songs not from any studio albums - Road Beneath My Wheels (great smoky blues number and A Cry In The Forest (a heartfelt environmental ballad) - that are worth the admission on their own.

The eight minute album climax, There's A Place In The World For A Gambler is hugely emotional and has become my definitive version of the song.

Hope this helps. :righton:

25. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thank you and yes that helps. I have seen it in my travels and have passed it by primarily because I'm not a huge live album fan. I do have some exceptions, and I like Dan enough to give this a listen. I thought you may know based on your input on other Fogelberg threads. Our tastes seem to be similar. I am not an audiophile, but I was wondering if the show was well recorded and sounded decent. I've heard some live recordings that were poorly done.

Record Rotator and carlwm like this.