D'Angelo - "Black Messiah" (15-Dec-2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisperinwind21

whisperinwind21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. whisperinwind21

drivingfrog and Naughty Chord like this.
  3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

When I think of a Black Messiah record, the first thing to mind is this Cannonball Adderley gem:

[​IMG]

4. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I was just singing that this morning after reading about the D'Angelo release...

5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Great track >>>

ralphk likes this.
  6. amoergosum

7. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Place an order at amazon uk. Same user and pw as on amazon de.

8. amoergosum

Itunes US Top 100 Downloads:

D'Angelo just dethroned Nicki Minaj >>>

#1 D'Angelo - Black Messiah

9. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

This album is literary off the hook. Currently the ever changin' "1000 Deaths" that kills me on a regular basis. Incredible work and it was definitely worth the wait.

10. whisperinwind21

Quality music prevails. This LP is sure to keep him afloat in the music world for a while.

YouKnowEyeKnow and LavidDange like this.
  11. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

That clicking noise you hear is the sound of thousands of music journalists and bloggers frantically re-editing their "Best of 2014" lists.

On my third play-through (first of today, the other two were last night after it dropped on Spotify) and loving it. It's sequenced well - "The Charade" is a real pop gem (albeit not the kind that gets radio play) that latter-day Prince would kill to have in his arsenal, and it comes as a nice tonic to the heavy "1000 Deaths" preceding it. Later on, as the album's energy is just starting to dissipate, the closer "Another Life" sounds like The Stylistics meeting up with Sly, and it sends off the album on a suitably dreamy note.

12. whisperinwind21

"1000 Deaths" is masterful. There's A Riot Goin' On-era Sly, On The Corner-era Miles, and 1969-1972-era Funkadelic all mixed up with a laid-back twist.

fac179, johnnypaddock and IpseDixit like this.
  13. whisperinwind21

Great point. In time, this album will be recognized as one of the decade's most memorable albums, period.

fac179 and rednax like this.
  14. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

Hit up the local shop to get the CD and just got in after a quite few listens cruising around in the ride and I just can't get enough. It's no doubt a continuation on the vibe of "Voodoo," but that's a good thing for me. There's so many influences from Prince to Sly to Funkadelic to Curtis Mayfield (all the **** I love), but definitely D'Angelo. It's just so organic. REAL SOUL!

Buda and LavidDange like this.
  15. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

Perhaps. This is from the CD booklet.

"No digital plug-ins of any kind were used in this recording. All of the recording, processing, effects and mixing was done in the analog domain using tape and mostly vintage equipment. For best results, listen at maximum volume!"

16. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

It is rather interesting now to compare the released version with this previously leaked stripped-down rendition, which in its half-baked state, still able to provide punches quite well.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  17. amoergosum

18. amoergosum

The video is not available anymore.

19. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Not hard to believe that Spike is "That guy who loves to hear himself talk instead of LISTENING at a LISTENING party" Sheesh...

20. fac179

fac179 Member

This really is a great album. The only track I'm so-so on is the last one. It angers me this is being listened to on computer speakers. There's so much going on, it needs to be listened to on a proper stereo to get the full effect (like most records really).

I'm struck how full-bodied and in-your-face this is, yet it totally works in a social setting (save for the first two tracks).

The bass playing and sounds on the second track are to die for-- a total highlight. The low end is stupid. It makes me want to smoke pot.

21. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Had my first listen while taking a power walk (too old to jog anymore!)

Wow - GOD DAMN!
    This is the real deal

rednax likes this.
  22. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

WTF

Album of the year.

rednax likes this.
  23. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Wow, the outro on "Prayer" is pure Isley Brothers...real cool.

24. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

First thing I thought of too. D'Angelo may have thought the album title was original, but Cannonball beat him by 44 years. Anyway, can't wait for the album.

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Boy, I just spun this album on Spotify at the office....Worth the 14 year wait? I dunno, but it sounds freakin' great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.