Daniel Johnston R.I.P.- Austin, TX songwriter*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I've always liked this cover of a great Daniel Johnston song. Matthew Good's version of True Love Will Find You In The End is simple, clean and the perfect way to end his harrowing album Hospital Music. Like a sunbeam breaking through storm clouds. Hope springs eternal.... sometimes it's all you've got.

D.D.

HudsonDuster, Davido and steviej like this.
  3. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

As a Canadian teenager who was flooded with Matthew Good Band music to a fault in the late 90s, I was very, very surprised and impressed by this album. Wonderful cover version.

James Bennett and Diamond Dog like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Absolutely unique

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Devil and DJ is one of the best docs, and not just as a music documentary. It’s a direct and honest depictions of mental illness and the struggles that Daniel, his family and friends encountered. It’s also a story of transcendence as Daniel accomplished more in his life than most of us.

It’s not an easy thing to watch, and it has many moments of sadness, frustration and despair. But Daniel and his music ultimately prevail.
    Is his music everyone’s cup of tea? Of course not, but his commitment to getting his music out to anyone who wanted to listen is inspiring.
    Awesome that he would hand make his cassettes and artwork so that everyone got a one of a kind piece.

The comments in this thread illustrate how much his music touched people.

6. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

I listened to Hi, How are You? the day I heard (Thursday here.) Absolute genius but, always a hard listen. Not because they're lower than lo-fi or he cannot sing like Robert Plant, but because they're such pure expressions of mental illness and suffering.

As if his songs needed to be any more forlorn. RIP.

xilef regnu and DJ LX like this.
  7. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

In what city did you see this performance?

8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I wonder if they sent Daniel’s body to Laurie Allen’s funeral home. I like to think they did.

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  9. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Just wanted to share this little gem from my favorite album of his, Continued Story (1985), which is a little better sounding than his first cassettes and has some really great songs:

Ain't No Woman Gonna Make A George Jones Outta Me

ChristopherTeuma and mr. steak like this.
  10. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

NYC

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" had a little 'tribute picture' of him, during their opening credits!

12. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I became a fan after watching the documentary when it came out 10-12 years ago, and I had heard of him before coz of the Cobain connection. But I got deep into his music and he was really inspiring, and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be a singer/songwriter. He was a true genius.

The day he died I had gone to see Wilco perform in Berlin, and they played a hauntingly beautiful cover of True Love will Find You in the End. It was very poignant and touching.

Davido and vince like this.
  13. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Funeral services for Daniel Johnston scheduled for Sept. 20-21 in Katy

Daniel Johnston mourners gather at "iconic" mural by Austin restaurant

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  14. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I knew of him from his connection to The Dead Milkmen. R.I.P.

15. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Found three Daniel Johnston records today. This shop has a section where you can pick out unpriced albums leave your name and number and they'll call back with a price. They're usually pretty reasonable, but am sure these will be too expensive. You don't see his records often at all.

They had Continued Story, 1990 and Yip Jump. They have a bunch of radio station writing and ugly stickers so that may bring down the price.

16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I was reconnecting with some older albums, including M. Ward's Post-War. I had no idea that Daniel Johnston wrote my favorite song from that album "To Go Home".

God, it's great to be alive
    Takes the skin right off my hide
    To think I'll have to give it all up
    Someday

:cry:

RIP

17. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

A self-proclaimed 'amateur artist'. He was a great songwriter, and a performer with heart and soul. I love to watch stuff on youtube. A real artist. He lived it. R.I.P.

18. Legend from the Drag and Austin. His cassette tapes sold at Sound Exchange were unforgettable. I always thought the artwork was done by the artist who did Life is Hell comic strip.

19. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    On Jan. 31, dBpm Records will release the late Daniel Johnston's final album, Chicago 2017.

Chicago 2017 includes new arrangements of 14 Johnston's most beloved songs, plus one Beatles cover. Nine of which are performed live at The Vic in Chicago backed by Tweedy (the band comprised of Jeff and Spencer Tweedy, James Elkington, Darin Gray and Liam Kazar), and five pulled from the previous day’s session at Wilco’s Chicago studio, The Loft.

All profits from this release will be donated to the Johnston family’s “Hi How Are You” Foundation for the study and treatment of mental illness and addiction recovery. It is available to preorder on black/white/blue splatter vinyl now.

20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

22. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

This release looks terrific and is exciting. Personally I'm excited to hear it. But I doubt it will be Daniel Johnston's "final" album, as is implied in the marketing material, and I hope that it is not the final word.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Thanks for posting about this. I had no idea. Ordered.

farewelltransmission likes this.
  24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

25. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.