Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm about halfway through the third season, and I think it's the best show Marvel has ever done so far. Every episode feels like it's a 2-hour film: tons of plot, lots of character development, all kinds of twists and turns. The whole thing with the sociopathic FBI agent (who's name is almost "Dexter"... :laugh: ) was unexpected, creepy, and very interesting.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They kind of established that Matt is not at his mystical-ninja-subduing best due to the injuries from the building falling on him. Aside from that, it has always sort of been that way in the comics, too, with Bullseye's seemingly superhuman fighting prowess and freakish accuracy never really explained.

wolfram likes this.
  3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

And...
    it looks like those luke cage making docs are working on bullseye now, so he will return more powerful than before...

I think dd doesn’t kill because he doesn’t want to; he has changed thought the season, and killing is something he seemingly doesn’t want to do anymore, as it appears he wants to be better and not become what it is he’s fighting...

wolfram likes this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks. I never read the comics, so I'm not familiar with Bullseye. And yes, it seems that they limited DD's fighting abilities somewhat for this season. Makes sense after his injuries.
    One of the major conflicts for Matt in this season seemed to be if he should become a killer to protect the city and his friends. In the end he decided against it. But I thought it might have been a convinient way out of this dilemma if Dex killed Fisk. He would just have to do nothing, while Dex throws some more bits of glass into Fisk. Win win. But I guess watching someone else kill his enemy is morally the same as killing him himself.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  5. It’s against Matt’s moral code (embedded in him as a Catholic) and as he rediscovers his moral compass he becomes more like himself again.

wolfram likes this.
  6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

What a thoroughly engaging Season! Wilson Bethel's portrayal of newly revealed Bullseye was far more menacing and chilling than Colin Farrell's portrayal will ever be. And it will be interesting to see where they go with him from this day forward though. No doubt we'll get a 4th Season and I really liked Joanne Whalley playing his mother too.

macdaddysinfo, chrischerm and Vidiot like this.
  7. Great season

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Finally finished it.

Slow starting out but solid at the end.

Not sure what Netflix plans for future Marvel shows as they seem to be cutting costs.

I heard JJ Season 3 is filmed and Punisher Season 2 is filmed.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think they're cutting costs, indeed they're spending more on new productions. They cut the two Marvel shows because they weren't very good (poor viewership numbers) and because they had disagreements with Cage (I heard they wanted a reduced episode count, but Marvel didn't. Probably other disagreements too). I'm sure they'll keep Daredevil going forward, as it's actually a good show. and well received.

GodShifter and Vidiot like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have been told that they spend upwards of $5 million an episode on most of these shows (even more on Daredevil, because as on Season 3 everybody got a raise), so this is an expensive show. But you have to spend that kind of money to get a network-quality show this good. Bear in mind that Westworld is over $10 million an episode, and Game of Thrones is over $15 million an episode now. Heck, Big Bang Theory is over $10 million an episode, and it's just a sitcom (albeit a huge hit with highly-paid actors).

I think this is more about friction between Netflix and Marvel, because it's pretty clear that the Marvel shows will eventually be absorbed by the Disney/Marvel/Pixar/Lucasfilm streaming channel over the next year or so.

Deesky likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Netflix had access to all the Marvel shows it was producing in perpetuity, ie, they couldn't be yanked. If that's so, then cancelling two of them must have been more financially attractive in light of their ratings and 'buzz' (I also read that they take 'buzz' into account - if people are talking about the show in a positive way).

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm honestly not sure about that, but I would bet it's not in perpetuity -- I bet it's only for 5 years or 10 years or something like that. And Marvel would always be free to produce a new show for their own network. This Wall Street Journal story is behind a paywall, but it explains how the Marvel/Netflix deal will be expiring over the next couple of years...

Behind Disney’s Play for Fox: Determination to Beat Netflix

Note that Netflix' market cap right now is about $130B, and Disney is at $168.3B. I'm sure it's galling to Disney that they've been in the business almost 100 years and produced thousands of films and TV shows, while Netflix has only been around 20 years and is basically just an internet pipeline. I bet the landscape could change radically in the next 5-10 years.

Back in the 1980s, I predicted that eventually, we would get all our entertainment directly from the studios and would bypass networks & cable channels. What I erroneously thought then would be it would all be satellite-delivered transmissions; it never occurred to me 30 years ago that the internet would get fast enough (and good enough) that we could get great-quality HD and 4K pictures from multiple channels.

GodShifter and misterbozz like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

BTW, here is a terrific explanation on how they shot that continuous 11-minute (!!!) single shot prison fight scene for episode 4 of Daredevil:

[​IMG]

How Daredevil Filmed Its 10-Minute Prison Fight in a Single Take

I caught the moments where they substituted the stuntman for the star, but it went pretty well. I'm suspicious that this was really one take (which they insist they did), because I thought I saw some "invisible edits" here and there in the blackness. But it was impressive, it was dramatic, it moved very quickly, and it was violent as hell.

14. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I just read that Netflix has cancelled "Daredevil" now. I was a bit surprised at the back-to-back cancellation announcements for "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage", but I thought "Daredevil" would have warranted at least another season or two.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  15. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Yes, this is extremely disappointing. Especially as it's coinciding with finding out my monthly fees are increasing, again.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm really enjoying Season 3. It was great to get Karen's backstory after hints the prior two seasons. I consider Daredevil a very high quality series. I think it's the best thing on Netflix, anyway, in terms of in-production series, and I'm a big BoJack Horseman fan.

budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The news of cancellation caught me by surprise. I thought it was one of the better Marvel series and the acting all around is superb. D'Onofrio IS Kingpin.

googlymoogly likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

Cancelled? Well then, I guess it's not in production. This sucks.

‘Daredevil’ Canceled By Netflix After 3 Seasons; Future In Other Marvel Projects

The cancellation had nothing to do with series quality, and everything to do with bad relations between Netflix and the Marvel production company in the wake of Disney (who I assume owns Marvel) starting its own streaming service. Bummer.

I haven't felt this bad since they axed Bloodline!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Shawn likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that was a big part of it. However, I also read that S3 had very poor viewership numbers. It seems crazy,, but S2's numbers were twice as good (crazy, because S3 was far superior to S2 and close to S1 in quality). I guess with all other Marvel Netflix shows being pretty crappy and with the recent cancellations, people just didn't bother to tune in...

Loved Bloodline, but the way the last half of the final season ended, I think the chop was justified.

20. wavethatflag

I read that the thing that killed Bloodline was high production costs and the repeal of a FL tax credit the series was eking advantage of.

GodShifter and Deesky like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that was clearly a curve ball which didn't help, but also the show never had high ratings, even when it was exceptional TV, so the decision to let it go was understandable imo.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I dunno about being the best Netflix show ever, but I would say that season 3 of Daredevil is the best Marvel TV show I've ever seen. I think Vincent D'Onofrio made the entire show, just an amazing actor. It's often been said about action/adventure movies (like the Bond films) that the best stories are often the ones that have the most interesting villains... and I think Daredevil falls into that category.

I think this is 100% true. As far as I know, Netflix has never released actual ratings numbers, and their usual vague comment is, "we renew our shows based on a variety of factors including whether a lot of our customers are watching them."

In yet another shocking move for the streaming service, Netflix has cancelled the hit Marvel TV series Daredevil after three seasons. This comes on the heels of the not-super-surprising cancellation of Iron Fist—the least successful of the Marvel Netflix shows—which was then followed by the more surprising cancellation of Luke Cage. But with Netflix giving Daredevil the axe, I think it’s safe to say something more than ratings or views went into these decisions.

‘Daredevil’ Cancelled by Netflix; Are All the Marvel Netflix Shows Done?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    googlymoogly and budwhite like this.
  23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Of all the Netflix Marvel shows canceled, I can see Disney bringing back DD on their streaming service.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Too bad it's canceled. I finished Season 3. I like it about as much as Season 2, which is the highlight of the series for me. I get why others may not like it as much as 1 or 2, but Elektra makes it for me. This entire series is FRANK MILLER DAREDEVIL, and the Elektra saga is the heart of the Miller Daredevil. (Miller really should get a credit on the Netflix series, his vision of Daredevil is the core of the series.)

Well, in a way I'm okay that it ends as I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't want to be. I'll buy the discs of Season 3 when it comes out and will watch it again. I've seen the other seasons three times. I like them more each time I watch. There's a lot of there there.

25. Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I can't imagine anything as violent as Daredevil being shown on what I'm guessing will be a kids-friendly Disney streaming service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.