Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I'm not sure I follow all the idiosyncrasies involved. Is it that MARVEL want to take away all their toys? They don't want NETFLIX to have success with their material? Everything NETFLIX's done - and I'm including Iron Fist 'cos I loved it - has been of the highest quality.

To me it's all a bit 'dummy-thrown-out-of-the-pram'. VERY annoyed with everyone concerned at the mo.

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Marvel sez that Daredevil will pop up in other Marvel productions in the future!

Guy Smiley likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think it depends on the focus of Disney's streaming service. If they're going head to head with Netflix, their service is not going to be kids-oriented. But I haven't read anything about the new service.

Guy Smiley and budwhite like this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Cancellation is my fault. I keep forgetting season 3 is available to watch.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm just...so...angry at you right now. :rant:

6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Glad to hear you like it, it was a HARD show to work on!

Now if I can only find time to watch it....!

7. DigMyGroove

It really was a 10 minute take (I worked on the show).

budwhite, googlymoogly and jpelg like this.
  8. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Sad to see this cancelled. I thought Season 3 was excellent.

9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Unfortunately, it looks pretty certain according to those in the know that the show itself will not be renewed and ported over to Disney's future content channel. The character may make what amounts to cameos in future Marvel-related films or shows like Agents Of Shield but even that prospect is completely up in the air right now.

A real shame as the show has been one of the best things on Netflix, comics-based or otherwise.

chrischerm, GodShifter, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Were you in editorial or production? Because I think I detected some very sneaky VFX/edits. I did catch the switch-out between the actor and the stuntman (maybe a couple of times). Still very well-done, a terrific scene.

I'm very hopeful that Marvel will keep the show going at least another year on the new Disney+ channel.

Daredevil is an R-rated show, very much not a kids-oriented series.

11. DigMyGroove

Art Dept, graphics for the set and props specifically, can't tell you anything about the editorial work!

budwhite likes this.
  12. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

While I have a few quibbles, I thought this season 3 was the best thing in the Netflix/Marvel lineup yet. Shame they're shutting it down. I thought a season featuring the Punisher and Bullseye might really rock.

13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The critical and popular success of this show may portend a Daredevil film or major co-bill, that is if Cox turns down the offer of Bond.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Very sorry to hear this was canceled. I thought S3 was really good. I guess with the cancellation of this, all Marvel stuff is on the chopping block in terms of Netflix.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

What a shame. Season three was excellent.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Daredevil series is, I think, one of the very best Marvel offerings. I think there's more to be done with it, but I'm just a lowly viewer.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved Season 3.

Netflix must really be cutting costs.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Read a little upthread for the real reasons it was cut (hint, it isn't about cost).

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

if it ends up on Disney it will have no violence ! no blood ! and will be dumbed down! shame really ! the new ones will probably end up looking like the crappy CW superhero kiddy crap fest !

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Color for Daredevil (and most of the other Netflix shows) was all done by Tony D'Amore down the street from me at Encore/Hollywood. I think Marvel has their own office for offline, and the online is done at Encore. I dunno where they do the mix. Shade VFX does a lot of the effects work for the show. All of it comes together really well -- I think all of the Marvel TV shows are done at an extraordinarily high level.

I don't know about that. Disney is well aware of the history of Fox and the fact that some of their films are a bit more "adult," so my guess is that there'll be at least a 2-tiered streaming channel (maybe more than that), so there's a G/PG streaming feed and then a PG-13/R feed for more adult audiences. That doesn't mean that they'll take everything they make and censor and limit what the filmmakers and producers can do.

On the other hand... American Horror Story producer Ryan Murphy moved his whole operation from Fox to Netflix solely because he was concerned that Disney would interfere with his shows, so there's some merit to that audience.

TV's First $300M Man: The Wild and Weepy Backstory of Ryan Murphy’s Blockbuster Netflix Deal

And money had a lot to do with it, too. No way was FOX going to throw $300 million at him.

One big question I have: given that Deadpool is a billion-dollar franchise but is rated R, does Disney plan to water it down once they're in charge of those films? I would argue that the edgy comedy and violence are a big part of its success, and it'd be wrong (creatively and economically) to change it. I think the new Once Upon a Deadpool recut is really the filmmakers kind of chiding Disney and saying, "is this what you really want?" It's a funny idea, but I see a message being sent there.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    budwhite likes this.
  21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Why do people assume Disney’s streaming plans will be kiddie fare only? Maybe they’ll offer more than one service, or at least different tiers? I wold bet that they understand their Marvel properties in some cases have amuch different audience than, say, DuckTales, or whatever Hannah Montana-ish fare is currently airing on Disney Channel.

I’d guess this is the end of Charlie Cox as Daredevil, which is a shame as he was great, but I hope any future plans on TV or film are as good as the Netflix show was. Season 2 was not as good as Season 1, but I still liked it (Haven’t watched S3 yet). I think it was easily Marvel’s best show, and the best original show Netflix had too.

I thought it was much stronger than either Luke Cage or Jessica Jones (Never watched Iron Fist). I’d guess JJ and Punisher (Another show I haven’t watched) will get the axe shortly after their next seasons drop too. Seems obvious.

Anyhow, I’d love it if Disney wanted to bring Cox. Of course, I’d aslo love it if they wanted to bring Agent Carter and finally give us that third season!

Bring Peggy back, and Disney can have my money!

22. It’s statements such as these:

To that end, there will be other over-the-top ventures from the company. As part of the Fox deal, Disney will have a 60% stake in Hulu. Any R-rated films from its catalogue or from the Fox or Fox Searchlight library will likely appear on that service.

Disney Outlines Streaming Service, Will Launch in Late 2019

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

On the bright side, Daredevil is going out on a high note.

Deesky, mcchocchoc and wavethatflag like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's a thoughtful article in Forbes:

The Real Reasons Netflix Is Cancelling Their Marvel Shows

TL;dr:

Netflix pays money to produce the Marvel shows, but they don't own the IP. Those shows have clear and consistent branding to Marvel Studios. So when the Disney+ service starts airing other Marvel shows tied to the popular films, any Marvel series on Netflix will service as de facto advertising for the other Marvel shows on Disney+. In that way, then, the Marvel-Netflix shows were about to become marketing for a streaming service that directly competes with Netflix.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

The key word there, of course, is “likely.” No word for certain yet. Either way, that’s movies. Not necessarily Marvel shows.

But, I suppose that’s possible too. Hulu already has Runaways, so maybe that’s the plan. But then, as I said, it’s likely they offer more than service or outlet for their fare. Hulu could simply be one of those outlets.

Then again, Disney+ will have shows featuring Scarlet Witch and Loki, so a Daredevil reboot, while less family friendly, may not be that big of a stretch.

Or, perhaps Daredevil returns to the big screen instead? Marvel’s going to run out of “A-list” or even “B-list” characters for the movies soon. They kind of already are.

The Charlie Cox iteration of Daredevil could’ve been a great series of films. More than enough to forget about Ben Affleck. I bet we see DD in a movie sooner than later.

wavethatflag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.