Dark Horse Records Partners with BMG, Will Release New Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vitorbastos123, Jan 22, 2020.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I welcome any "New" product or Archival reissues from this announcement....will it happen...who knows!

2. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

My guess is that it's the latter. I remember not long ago either Olivia or Dhani talking about wanting to re-release these artists on Dark Horse and give them a platform again.

It's also possible they don't want to say anything about George until the ATMP anniversary is over. They're definitely going to be asked about a potential rarities box set when they do press this year, so we'll get an answer eventually.

theMess, longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Amazon France now has a listing for a 2-cd reissue of Ravi Shankar's Chants of India slated for April 18th. This looks like an expanded edition. No indication yet of a vinyl release. Hopefully this is the start of a broader release program of Ravi's back catalogue in new physical+digital format.

[​IMG]

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

And the label is listed as “BMG Rights” so it looks like physical media will be part of this deal!

Mark

longdist01, Hep Alien and BlueJay like this.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Of course we've already had a Dark Horse label reissue cd of Chants of India in the 'Collaborations' box set issued in 2010. But I'm very interested in the indication that this new reissue is a 2-disc set (assuming Amazon have that right). What could be on the 2nd disc? Out-takes and unused 'chants' from the Friar Park recording sessions? How about - and this would be a nice bonus - the live VH1 television recording of Ravi and George performing 'Prabhujee' in 1997?

longdist01, Hep Alien and btltez like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My guess is that whoever was negotiating this for BMG made the deal with the hope that this will lead to eventually releasing some George Harrison material. I can't imagine any world where this deal makes any financial sense otherwise. There's little on the Dark Horse label (outside of Harrison himself) that would sell enough to even justify the new mastering and legal costs.

This might be a situation where there's an informal agreement that if the Harrisons are happy with how this is handled, the George Harrison stuff will eventually get licensed.

Or else it could be a very low money deal, where the Harrisons are responsible for the mastering and legal stuff, and BMG just makes sure it gets distribution, i.e. low risk.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I’m interested in finding out more about this as well, especially since I’ve yet to pick this one up. Hopefully a case of procrastination paying off in the long run.

I did download the 1972 Ravi-Khan concert which is awesome. Will have to think about that one again if/when a CD comes out.

Mark

longdist01 likes this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I already have the two released cd versions of this album, the original 1997 Angel Records cd and the 2010 reissue on Dark Horse Records. As a result I have little interest in buying this latest version unless the 2nd disc contains unreleased material, which I'm hoping it will. However, if they do get round to releasing a vinyl version, I would definitely get that.

longdist01 and Mark Wilson like this.
  9. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I think the fact that it’s not mentioned IS the further context that nobody wants to hear.

10. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident

It'd sure be nice if the Splinter albums finally became available on CD, or on streaming services. I have a needle drop, but this material deserves to be heard.

11. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I don't know, I kind of feel like I have all the Dark Horse I need:

[​IMG][​IMG]

unless of course there's a new George box set coming.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nope. You still need:

[​IMG]

Without that album, you do not have "Poor Little Girl", "Cockamamie Business", and "Cheer Down" (this latter tune also appears on the Let It Roll compilation and the Lethal Weapon 2 soundtrack).

13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Good point, I missed out on that one and now it's a bit pricey. I doubt they will rerelease this as part of this campaign though. I sure hope so!

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And there are also a bunch of other officially released loose ends from George that were not included in his Dark Horse Years box set. Someone here probably has a handy list.

longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  15. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

16. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

:whistle: George Harrison Songs ;)

17. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

longdist01, planckera and gottafeelin like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hep Alien, planckera and omikron like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Billboard article clarifies some of the label plans for 2020...we shall see what artist/s will finally debut on Digital and Physical media from Dark Horse Label.....

21. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I think the other thread was closed because it included the word 'exciting'. Apparently this was thought to be controversial.

Chris Bernhardt and TonyCzar like this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I wonder..... :shrug:

longdist01 likes this.
  23. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I would have to imagine getting Strummer on the label was probably Dhani’s idea (I’m all for it big Clash fan so cool to see them connected with George in some way other then “phoney Beatlemania!)

longdist01 likes this.
  24. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

There is also a lot of unreleased Splinter material that would make great bonus tracks
    ....specially the FPSHOT Demos.

Hep Alien, Mark Wilson and longdist01 like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yes, there's plenty for a Super Deluxe type of collection from the Friar Park tape library.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020